"Do I need an amp?" Well, I'm glad you asked...
Feb 7, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #76 of 115
Where did you rent your crystal ball? Mine is in the shop.

Edit: Looking at your past threads, you listen to Youtube streams. Are you sure you're qualified to discuss this? Wait, perhaps you're in charge of marketing for a manufacturer. Which?

I fail to see what my past posts have to do with anything. Nor do I see how someone listening to Youtube makes them unqualified for anything. I listen to my own music collection and Spotify more than youtube; youtube is only for discovery.

The new look for the amp website is nice, to be on-topic.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #78 of 115
Impedance swing?  Phase factor?

Interesting terms with different meanings to different disciplines.  Almost makes one wonder if I will ever be able to determine whether or not my Vincent amp (300w/4ohms) is capable of driving my 4-ohm Thiel speakers to a subjectively reasonable volume with a minimum of distortion.  Chances are, the information available is enough to make a reasonable assumption that it will.

I assume you have the amp hooked up to your Thiels and are able to determine whether it can drive the speakers. No?

Which Thiels do you have? Too, out of sheer curiosity [OT], why did you decide on Vincent electronics?

Nothing wrong with taking a more scientific approach to ones hobby - but don't knock the efforts of others because they choose to take a more basic approach.  Information is good regardless of how basic it may be.  The OP's efforts do offer a great reference point for electrical compatibility.  You've expressed you opinion concerning the validity of the their work.  We've disagreed and you've been unable to offer anything constructive relating to your stance other than negative commentary and generic terms.  

There's nothing scientific about the website. In addition, it offers subjective opinions based on "science" that are completely wrong.

Edit: IIRC, I did offer some constructive criticism in my initial post, which started this facet of discussion. I'm not really sure what you expect me to do; write an essay that virtually no one here will understand, and, worse, argue with it, as folks tend to do due to their ignorance. Sounds like a fun time.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #79 of 115
I fail to see what my past posts have to do with anything. Nor do I see how someone listening to Youtube makes them unqualified for anything. I listen to my own music collection and Spotify more than youtube; youtube is only for discovery.

The new look for the amp website is nice, to be on-topic.

Because, your Spotify can't fulfill that need. Makes sense... somewhere. You play poor source material, regardless, and are in an audiophile discussion. An oxymoron.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #80 of 115
so all is only black or white to you? can't be audiophile and look at youtube, can't use specs if you don't have 100% of them, the website is useless because it only makes estimations.
what a nice philosophy, anything that isn't perfect is crap.
using simple estimations from values at 1khz to eliminate amps that will not be able to drive a headphone isn't useless and isn't completely wrong. it does use the basic rules of electricity so it is indeed some science. it doesn't certify that the amps in the list will always drive the headphone, but is does guaranty that those excluded of the list wouldn't be proper.

still not good enough for you. meanwhile your only suggestion to improve anything in a scientific way has been: "they should listen to the amps"... wow how come none of us had though about it before, thank you so much. we just buy 20 amps from all over the world, listen to them all and sell the ones that didn't sound good. such a good and practical solution... for rich people with lot of time.

you suggested to the OP to take down his website because it was useless. maybe you should check your posts on the topic so far and apply your own logic to them?

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #81 of 115
so all is only black or white to you? can't be audiophile and look at youtube, can't use specs if you don't have 100% of them, the website is useless because it only makes estimations.
what a nice philosophy, anything that isn't perfect is crap.

It's hardly black and white, other than the Youtube stream and Spotify, as some things are self-evident. I also don't appreciate you being dishonest regrading your Youtube use. Typically, I'd ignore all else you post, as there's no reason to talk to someone who'll say whatever is convenient at the time, but I'm kinda enjoying this.

:)

using simple estimations from values at 1khz to eliminate amps that will not be able to drive a headphone isn't useless and isn't completely wrong.

It's completely misleading, as there's no guarantee the amplifier is capable of similar output at , say, 20Hz.

it does use the basic rules of electricity so it is indeed some science. it doesn't certify that the amps in the list will always drive the headphone, but is does guaranty that those excluded of the list wouldn't be proper.

That's like calling yourself a chef, because you can light the stove and fry an egg.

still not good enough for you. meanwhile your only suggestion to improve anything in a scientific way has been: "they should listen to the amps"... wow how come none of us had though about it before, thank you so much. we just buy 20 amps from all over the world, listen to them all and sell the ones that didn't sound good. such a good and practical solution... for rich people with lot of time.

Not my fault you haven't established a relationship with a dealer.

you suggested to the OP to take down his website because it was useless. maybe you should check your posts on the topic so far and apply your own logic to them?

"I know you are, but what am I?" Simply brilliant.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #82 of 115
This is not fun any more. As far as I can see that site isn't selling anything. It's not being rammed down anyone's throat. It is based on some factual evidence and it is helpful. It does demonstrate hard work and a desire to inform. In short, it adds to the community.

Anyway, applying too much science to music listening is ultimately a fail. In my opinion.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #83 of 115
This is not fun any more. As far as I can see that site isn't selling anything. It's not being rammed down anyone's throat. It is based on some factual evidence and it is helpful. It does demonstrate hard work and a desire to inform. In short, it adds to the community.

With respect, I don't deny that work went into the project. OTOH, as Brooko pointed out, the comments are absurd, as they're based on a naive interpretation of a spec sheet. Dare I say, the individual's time would have been better spent learning about audio, then working on a website. How this is an asset is beyond me. If anything, it's misleading.

Anyway, applying too much science to music listening is ultimately a fail. In my opinion.

My opinion differs, as it certainly helps knowing what's going on, especially when trying to put together a good sounding system. This being said, listening is what ultimately counts.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #84 of 115
Because, your Spotify can't fulfill that need. Makes sense... somewhere. You play poor source material, regardless, and are in an audiophile discussion. An oxymoron.

I use Spotify because I don't own ALL songs that I would like to (as it is a continuously growing list), and would like to listen to them in the mean time without piracy, not even considering Spotify Premium's audio quality is considered audibly transparent by the majority of this community. Its discovery engine is total garbage though, hence youtube and bandcamp. But again, this is a discussion about a website, related to hardware, not at all about source material. A certain level of source material does not constitute an audiophile, nor is being an audiophile required to discuss websites or electrical engineering.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #85 of 115
for head-fiers interested in more amplifier information: http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-questions-find-the-answers-here

for headfiers that cannot understand it is impossible to listen to every single amplifier out there and there is a very practical application for a resource that calculates whether a headphone's power requirements matches with the amplifiers published specs... there is no reason for you to start silly arguments on this thread unless you are going to take the time to explain what other measurable performance critera you have in mind that would be helpful when shopping for amplifiers online.

why bother with the head-fi community at all if your response is simply to go listen to everything yourself or go look it up yourself? if you are not going to positively contribute to the discussion, you really are just wasting everyone else's time.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #86 of 115
honestly if u google how to tell if your amplifier matches your headphones, the recommendations for calculating and the specs to look at is exactly what OP uses for his website.

if you have further insight on other factors to consider, feel free to share & contribute. but if ur point was simply i dont see the need for such a resource, we all already heard you & politely disagree.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #87 of 115
honestly if u google how to tell if your amplifier matches your headphones, the recommendations for calculating and the specs to look at is exactly what OP uses for his website.

Naive specs. They tell one nothing as to what the cans will sounds like. Assuming one likes to listen to music and not take joy in reading spec sheets, this is pointless.

if you have further insight on other factors to consider, feel free to share & contribute. but if ur point was simply i dont see the need for such a resource, we all already heard you & politely disagree.[/quote

Why is these a need for this so-call "resource?"

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #88 of 115
Naive specs. They tell one nothing as to what the cans will sounds like. Assuming one likes to listen to music and not take joy in reading spec sheets, this is pointless.

if you have further insight on other factors to consider, feel free to share & contribute. but if ur point was simply i dont see the need for such a resource, we all already heard you & politely disagree.

Why is these a need for this so-call "resource?"

lol. no one is asking for the spec sheet to tell us what the headphones & amplifier pairing will sound like & that is not the purpose of this resource. we are asking whether the amplifier provides sufficient power for the headphones to reach required volumes without clipping.

It is simply a resource to help people searching through many different amplifiers to quickly filter them based on their specific pair of headphones using power requirements as the criteria.

Saying that you are listening to music not a spec sheet to someone shopping for an amplifier trying to figure out whether the amplifer's published specs are suitable for their particular needs is not helpful. Obviously we will need listening to music and listening to our amplifier. This tool allows us to quickly look through the published specs of many different amplifiers & easily perform power calculations. It is a resource to help people. ...unlike the majority of your comments unfortunately.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #89 of 115
I use Spotify because I don't own ALL songs that I would like to (as it is a continuously growing list), and would like to listen to them in the mean time without piracy, not even considering Spotify Premium's audio quality is considered audibly transparent by the majority of this community. Its discovery engine is total garbage though, hence youtube and bandcamp. But again, this is a discussion about a website, related to hardware, not at all about source material. A certain level of source material does not constitute an audiophile, nor is being an audiophile required to discuss websites or electrical engineering.

Yea, I know, and many buy premium cans. Unbelievable. In part, that's why I come here, for the fun, but mostly for the unrivaled (IME) enthusiasm and my own love of the headphone experience. This site is truly unique.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #90 of 115
lol. no one is asking for the spec sheet to tell us what the headphones & amplifier pairing will sound like & that is not the purlose of this resource. we are asking whether the amplifier provides sufficient power for the headphones to reach required volumes without clipping.

Again, as Brooko so brutally illustrated, the author has no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back