"Do I need an amp?" Well, I'm glad you asked...
Feb 7, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #61 of 115
Based on naive specs and pure speculation. Okey-dokey.

lol. u can calculate power requirements of headphones to reach a certain db level with their impedance and efficiency as long as the amplifier manufactor has published rms power ratings for their amplifiers. there isnt really any speculation involved.

i think its a better judge of whether an amplifier has enough power than someone's random subjective impressions without any reference point. very informative resource.

OK I've added an about page describing the methodologies: http://www.audiobot9000.com/about

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #62 of 115
lol. u can calculate power requirements of headphones to reach a certain db level with their impedance and efficiency as long as the amplifier manufactor has published rms power ratings for their amplifiers. there isnt really any speculation involved.

Not knowing the impedance swing and its phase factor? Yea, sure. Oh, wait, that's not on a spec sheet. Such confusion, when basic specs are all one knows. lol

i think its a better judge of whether an amplifier has enough power than someone's random subjective impressions without any reference point. very informative resource.

I think the Moon is made out of Green Cheeze. Just as valid.

Edit: text

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #63 of 115
Not knowing the impedance swing and its phase factor? Yea, sure. Oh, wait, that's not on a spec sheet. Such confusion, when basic specs are all one knows. lol

Impedance swing?  Phase factor?

Interesting terms with different meanings to different disciplines.  Almost makes one wonder if I will ever be able to determine whether or not my Vincent amp (300w/4ohms) is capable of driving my 4-ohm Thiel speakers to a subjectively reasonable volume with a minimum of distortion.  Chances are, the information available is enough to make a reasonable assumption that it will.

Nothing wrong with taking a more scientific approach to ones hobby - but don't knock the efforts of others because they choose to take a more basic approach.  Information is good regardless of how basic it may be.  The OP's efforts do offer a great reference point for electrical compatibility.  You've expressed you opinion concerning the validity of the their work.  We've disagreed and you've been unable to offer anything constructive relating to your stance other than negative commentary and generic terms.  

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #64 of 115

super lol, but as often when people spit on objective attempts(even if simplified for convenience or by need), others will criticize while offer no alternative at all. "it's not good, just throw a stick, buy the product the stick pointed at and listen to know how it goes. because that's how real audiophiles must do".

the website isn't enough for me because some choices are made that I would like to do myself and sometimes when available, use more specs to come to my own conclusions. still for everybody that doesn't know anything about electricity, amps and headphones on a technical level, the website offers a simple comprehensive view, and a way to avoid massive mistakes.
you on the other hand with all your obvious mastery, don't offer anything at all.

show some respect for the work of people trying to help.

#make-a-new-friend

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #65 of 115
super lol, but as often when people spit on objective attempts(even if simplified for convenience or by need), others will criticize while offer no alternative at all. "it's not good, just throw a stick, buy the product the stick pointed at and listen to know how it goes. because that's how real audiophiles must do".

The alternative is the act of listening. These so-called objective attempts eschew quite a few relevant factors, too, out of ignorance. Audio is complicated. Really complicated, and you guys reduce it to spec sheet. It's nothing short of absurd.

the website isn't enough for me because some choices are made that I would like to do myself and sometimes when available, use more specs to come to my own conclusions. still for everybody that doesn't know anything about electricity, amps and headphones on a technical level, the website offers a simple comprehensive view, and a way to avoid massive mistakes.
you on the other hand with all your obvious mastery, don't offer anything at all.

#make-a-new-friend

I don't think I showed a lack of respect. The "work" you're referring to is absolutely pointless and often misleading. It's the simple truth of it.

Edit: What training in a scientific discipline have you guys had? We can compare notes. :D

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #66 of 115
I'm an EE. The site does a good job mitigating the issues of power and damping against non-linear impedance by factoring in wattage and output impedance, as well as cost. It's a great resource for checking these factors. Enough said.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #67 of 115
I'm an EE. The site does a good job mitigating the issues of power and damping against non-linear impedance by factoring in power and damping factors, as well as cost. It's a great resource for checking these factors. Enough said.

What? That makes no sense. Power where, as at what frequency; the damping factor can override a radical phase angle on the low-end? Is this some kind of a joke? It's like saying, "If I buy a ripe apple, the oranges should be good, too."

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #68 of 115
Look, haslaughz has put together a quick and easy resource to get the damping factor and power output between headphones and amplifiers. And this has been provided for free to you, the end user.

If you have a useful suggestion to make the site better, then by all means, suggest it. If not, the door is that way...

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #69 of 115
Look, haslaughz has put together a quick and easy resource to get the damping factor and power output between headphones and amplifiers. And this has been provided for free to you, the end user.

If you have a useful suggestion to make the site better, then by all means, suggest it. If not, the door is that way...

I have a suggestion; take the site down. It's not helping anyone.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #70 of 115

The alternative is the act of listening. These so-called objective attempts eschew quite a few relevant factors, too, out of ignorance. Audio is complicated. Really complicated, and you guys reduce it to spec sheet. It's nothing short of absurd.

#make-a-new-friend

I don't think I showed a lack of respect. The "work" you're referring to is absolutely pointless and often misleading. It's the simple truth of it.

Edit: What training in a scientific discipline have you guys had? We can compare notes.
biggrin.gif

blame the manufacturers for not releasing their own measurements and just giving us scraps at 1khz into 2 or 3 loads. we use what we get, it has nothing to do with ignorance. for how many amps can you find complete measurements? 1? 2? if you mail the manufacturer, with specific questions, maybe 2 or 3 more?
the website doesn't pretend to do magic, it's a database of what's readily available on the net, and an interpretation for people who don't know what to do with those numbers. I don't see what damage the website is doing apart from maybe make people believe that more power is always great.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #71 of 115
blame the manufacturers for not releasing their own measurements and just giving us scraps at 1khz into 2 or 3 loads. we use what we get, it has nothing to do with ignorance. for how many amps can you find complete measurements? 1? 2? if you mail the manufacturer, with specific questions, maybe 2 or 3 more?
the website doesn't pretend to do magic, it's a database of what's readily available on the net, and an interpretation for people who don't know what to do with those numbers. I don't see what damage the website is doing apart from maybe make people believe that more power is always great.

The manufacturer wants one to listen to the product, and not naively extrapolate its performance on paper.

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #73 of 115
Because they know people's perceptions are biased by price.

Where did you rent your crystal ball? Mine is in the shop.

Edit: Looking at your past threads, you listen to Youtube streams. Are you sure you're qualified to discuss this? Wait, perhaps you're in charge of marketing for a manufacturer. Which?

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #74 of 115
Most headphones are designed to sound best out of an ideal voltage source - low output impedance. If you're not gonna be constructive, kindly leave. Unless you have something useful, I won't engage you any further. Good day.

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #75 of 115
Most headphones are designed to sound best out of an ideal voltage source - low output impedance. If you're not gonna be constructive, kindly leave. Unless you have something useful, I won't engage you any further. Good day.

Good day to you, too. I'm glad you left us with a general assertion that means nothing in the context of this discussion

Edit: As a side note, every single male in my extended family, sans myself, has his post-doc in engineering. My training is in a different mathematical field. As such, I can't help and wonder how an EE could make these claims (I'm not juts talking about the post above).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back