"Do I need an amp?" Well, I'm glad you asked...
Aug 11, 2014 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 115

haslaughz

New Head-Fier
Whenever I want a new pair of headphones, I often find myself wondering, "Do I need an amp?" (The answer is inevitably "yes"). Then for the next week or so, I spend my waking hours doing research, reading reviews, and obsessing over specs.

There's got to be a more efficient way, right?

Well, after many hours of reading blogs like InnerFidelity and NwAvGuy, and poring through countless Head-Fi threads, I collected all the info I could find about the interplay between amps and headphones, and built it into an online tool. The tool basically does all the calculations for you -- things like damping factor, SPLs, conversion between sensitivity and efficiency, whether the amp has enough power to drive the headphones, and other factors that may influence the amp you choose. I call it AUDIOBOT 9000.

I started building it last week, and I finally have a usable version today. I hope you find it useful - www.audiobot9000.com

BTW, suggestions are more than welcome.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 115
Did you enter all this data manually?
eek.gif

Site bookmarked. Good job!

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 115
I think people may disagree with your grading system. I've never heard anyone describe the HE-500 as a pair of headphones that "may" require an amp.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 115
Great work there mate, kudos. One suggestion I would make is that the O2 amp shouldn't be limited to the JDS Labs variant as all variants are the same, no matter where they're sold from. Otherwise this is a fantastic idea.

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 115
I applaud the effort!
maybe saying too much will just open doors to disagree with your choices, but I would very much like to have a little explanation about the matching % .

I felt very disappointed to see you didn't recommend a 2w amp for the porta pro.
deadhorse.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 115
I think people may disagree with your grading system. I've never heard anyone describe the HE-500 as a pair of headphones that "may" require an amp.

It's not the only one ......

• Sennheiser HD600
    This headphone requires an amplifier due to its low efficiency and very high impedance.

• AKG K701
    This headphone may benefit from an amplifier due to its low efficiency and medium impedance.

Having owned both, I can state categorically that to achieve the bass response the AKG K701 is capable of, it needs a good high current amp.  The HD600 on the other hand, while it benefits from amping (scales up), it''s actually quite easy to drive, and sounds surprisingly great even out of an iPhone.

Here's another one :)

1. Hifiman HE6
    This headphone may benefit from an amplifier due to its low efficiency and medium impedance.

I agree with you cel, great idea, but needs work.

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 115
I think you should tailor the comments for each headphone. Writing a comment based on sensitivity and impedance could in many cases be quite misleading.

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 115
This is a great idea. I agree with the aforementioned comments about headphones that may need amps. In my experience most audiophile/reference quality headphones perform best with an amp. The only possible exception would be some of the Audio Technicas and Grados methinks.

Keep up the good work!

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 115
  I think you should tailor the comments for each headphone. Writing a comment based on sensitivity and impedance could in many cases be quite misleading.

I don't think he intended to quit his job just to please us with that page :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back