Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?
Dec 5, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #1,021 of 1,128
Glad you agree and since I bought the cable I am not using a amp with my Cowon which alone has a good amp. All started when I bought the Shure 535 which for me didnt have enough lower end. A small amp helped and so did the silver cable. Either way even though  the cable helped I still want more with out blasting my ears off.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #1,022 of 1,128
Quote:
Listened to 5 tracks over and over and only replaced the cable on the same volume level, also connected a amp with stock cable and new silver cable.

Blind or sighted? Did you take the IEMs out while you switched? If not, did the IEMs shift at all while changing cables? Did you make sure the cables themselves played at the same volume level? How long did it take you to switch?

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #1,023 of 1,128

Quote:
Glad you agree and since I bought the cable I am not using a amp with my Cowon which alone has a good amp. All started when I bought the Shure 535 which for me didnt have enough lower end. A small amp helped and so did the silver cable. Either way even though  the cable helped I still want more with out blasting my ears off.

tsk - need to frame that in a scientific argument DX"

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #1,024 of 1,128

Quote:
Listened to 5 tracks over and over and only replaced the cable on the same volume level...

If the cables had different resistance due to length, material, or gauge - then you need to volume match, not just maintain the same level from the device. Even a slight change in volume can lead one to believe that they are hearing drastic sonic differences which do not necessarily exist. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #1,025 of 1,128
I listened to amp, silver cable, stock for weeks and yes I am very focused on the sealing of the tips. I use Shure foam tips on all my earphones and I changed them often. volume had to be adjusted at times and I d not believe the silver cables is the end of all and if the earphones suck well the cable wont make them acceptable. I am talking about high end earphones comparing to other equally priced earphones except for the JH which cost a lot more. yes there was an issue with the JH seal cause they are hard plastic.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #1,028 of 1,128

Quote:

Say he took all the steps needed to conduct a proper blind test, then what?

popcorn.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #1,029 of 1,128
Different cables are audibly different, to some people some of the time with some systems. There is not point in trying to say anything other than that.

The real question is why is that the case? The answer lies with our senses and particularly how sight interacts with sound.

The evidence is the consistent results from sighted, blind comparison and ABX testing. Sighted and people hear and indentify sound quality differences. Blind and the difference is that whilst people can still hear differences they are no longer based on other facts such as looks, barnd image and cost. So cheap often beats expensive and no name beats high image brand.ABX and no one can tell any difference at all.

That is further corroborated by evidence from measurement which finds that differences are in the inaudible range and evidence of inconsistency that there is no link between how a cable is made and what it is made of and sound quality.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #1,030 of 1,128

Quote:

Say he took all the steps needed to conduct a proper blind test, then what?

Then we evaluate the data, contrasted with the controls of the experiment, and add it in with all the other data regarding this. The study either agrees with all the other data, or runs counter to it. If it contradicts all the other data, then we experiment more, to see if his results are reproducible and repeatable. If they are not, we conclude there was most likely a flaw in the original experiment, and a footnote is added to the documentation. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,032 of 1,128

Quote:
Try it yourself and then you will know. Life is not about thinking without doing.

The argument here is that under blind test, those who claim that they could hear the difference ceased to be able to hear the difference anymore. Reason - sight is the culprit.

So, unless you can refute this claim with proof, you will be better off keeping your experience to yourself because this thread is in science forum where we want to know what sort of things affect audible differences caused by cables.

There are other people here who like you agree that cable truly makes a difference in the sound but it is difficult to furnish a proof on that claim to convince the skeptics.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #1,033 of 1,128

Quote:

Then we evaluate the data, contrasted with the controls of the experiment, and add it in with all the other data regarding this. The study either agrees with all the other data, or runs counter to it. If it contradicts all the other data, then we experiment more, to see if his results are reproducible and repeatable. If they are not, we conclude there was most likely a flaw in the original experiment, and a footnote is added to the documentation. 

What other data? I thought there was no data that supported audible differences between cables in blind tests? 

And what if ten trolls came in, purposely conducted similar flawed tests, listed out all the correct steps, and ended up with the same results as bmiah? 

Without video proof, there's no way to see if he did any mistakes during the test or if he was being honest. 

Also, what about the skeptics? Have you conducted blind tests to support your stance? Or did you arrive at the conclusion that cables make no audible

difference in sound in a sighted test?

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #1,034 of 1,128

Quote:
What other data? I thought there was no data that supported audible differences between cables in blind tests? 

And what if ten trolls came in, purposely conducted similar flawed tests, listed out all the correct steps, and ended up with the same results as bmiah? 

All the data related to blind tests of cables. We draw conclusions from all the data, not the data for or against, but all of it.

I would hope that as long as things are well documented, and the flaws are made public, the trolls won't have any room to maneuver. 

Quote:

Also, what about the skeptics? Have you conducted blind tests to support your stance? Or did you arrive at the conclusion that cables make no audible
difference in sound in a sighted test?

Me personally, no. I am not making a positive statement (I am saying, "the evidence does not show that there is an audible difference between cables as a result of the material or construction choices", not a statement "cables do not make an audible difference" - see the distinction?). Their hypothesis is that cables make an audible difference - mine is the null hypothesis to theirs. The data from their own tests has not backed up their stance. I don't need to do a separate experiment to show that they do not - my stance is already supported by their data. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #1,035 of 1,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(I am saying, "the evidence does not show that there is an audible difference between cables as a result of the material or construction choices", not a statement "cables do not make an audible difference" - see the distinction?)... ... I don't need to do a separate experiment to show that they do not - my stance is already supported by their data. 

So your stance is that cables may make audible differences in blind tests, but not due to material or construction choices? I don't think anyone's refuting the claim that cables 

do make an audible difference... It's just that the difference cannot/have not been detected in properly conducted blind tests.

Yea you don't need to do a separate experiment because the data favours your stance, but it'd be interesting to conduct a blind test to see if you can detect the differences. 

If your test results go against your original hypothesis then redo the test a couple of times just to make sure. If the results still go against your original stance, then I don't

see how you can remain on the same camp anymore. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back