Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?
Oct 30, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #541 of 1,128

Quote:
It's probably harder to tell apart Coke and Diet Coke under blind testing as well btw, I'm sure a lot of people would fail, just food for thought. =P

No way! If I did a blind taste test with Coke and Diet Coke I would get it right 10000/10000 times. They taste like two totally different things >.>, one's digusting (Diet Coke) and one's not (Coke).

Audio, on the otherhand I have trouble with just about everything :p

Oct 30, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #543 of 1,128

Quote:
The "same traits" make some sense for electronics components that have active, dynamic components that must process, or produce (or read - phonograph cartridge) the music. Especially those with actual moving components... speakers, etc. But you are making a blanket statement about wires having the same effects, without describing why or how they possibly could. 

At a more rapid rate? How do you know this? Surely this is something that if real, we could test? Show me some evidence. Then we'll talk. 

I like your posts liamstrain. Sadly, even though this is the Sound Science part of the forum, people are allowed to troll it with subjective opinion backed up by no evidence. We are not given the same level of access to the rest of the forum.

Oct 30, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #544 of 1,128
Oct 30, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #546 of 1,128

Quote:
Why do you bother posting here? How will you like it if the reverse happens to a thread you like and think is interesting?

what's the matter... did the video ring true for you? ...
biggrin.gif

I post here because I've tried high-end cables... you, on the other hand, have not.

so why are you posting here? 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #547 of 1,128

Quote:
I post here because I've tried high-end cables... you, on the other hand, have not.

Fair enough -

Do you have any quantifiable, or objective evidence to share from your experiences with higher-end cables? This is, after all, the sound science forum, so repeatable, testable evidence is greatly appreciated.

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #548 of 1,128
Just testing Lenni to see if is the kind of person who likes to dish it out, but cannot take it when the same is done to him.

All cable believers and subjectivists are welcome, when they are constructive and bring evidence. That is more than we are allowed to do elsewhere on the forum, where we are not allowed to present certain evidence, no matter how constructive it is.

I am thinking of a past thread outwith Sound Science where a newbie posted how he had bought an expensive aftermarket headphone cable, but it made no difference. He was seriously worried there was something wrong with him, his ears, his kit and others were advising that those reasons were correct. Utter BS yet when I posted that there is no difference ihertant in the cable and his ears and kit were actually more accurate I was slated.

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #549 of 1,128

Quote:
That doesn't strike you as just a little convenient? It's statements like that, that will forever keep your results from approaching anything at all like science, or objectivity, or frankly - usefulness. 

I dont think so. If you drive like a lead foot, you'll never get the fuel economy that the EPA promises on the window sticker. That doesn't mean they are wrong, it's what they achieved with their testing. If you drive using the same pattern as their controlled methodology, you should get pretty much exactly what they promise (allowing for things like wind and hills). If you use the same equipment as the reviewer and listen to his demo material, you should hear what he reports (allowing for some room variances).

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #550 of 1,128

Quote:

I dont think so. If you drive like a lead foot, you'll never get the fuel economy that the EPA promises on the window sticker. That doesn't mean they are wrong, it's what they achieved with their testing. If you drive using the same pattern as their controlled methodology, you should get pretty much exactly what they promise (allowing for things like wind and hills). If you use the same equipment as the reviewer and listen to his demo material, you should hear what he reports (allowing for some room variances).

Your rough shod attitude to testing, evidence and proof means you will, as liamstrain stated "will forever keep your results from approaching anything at all like science, or objectivity, or frankly - usefulness."

I can come up with loads of theories and analogies to suit my view point as you do. But I can also come up with testable evidence. You cannot.

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #551 of 1,128

Quote:
Ok thanks for the speaker cable story, I noticed you recommend some $400 Polestar Locus USB cable in this thread -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/571932/tips-for-shopping-and-not-buying-into-bs-cables-coming-from-an-ex-sales-executive/15#post_7762005

At least I can give you some points for optimism and enthusiasm.  I realise science can't explain everything, it's everything that comes first, and science after... it's just I don't see what a $400 USB cable is supposed to do other than look pretty and give peace of mind.

I think if you want to try and see if there's a difference between a $10 USB cable and a high-end one, you might as well buy something from the (now defunct, sadly) brand generally considered to be the best. I'd have to substitute the Ridge Street Poiema for the Polestar now, but same idea. I will say that USB cables seem to be less important for the new generation of asynchronous mode devices, particularly the ones that are powered by AC or batteries. If you have a Monolith powered Empirical OR4, get the rest of the cables in your system in place first, then try some USB cables like the Poiema to see if you hear any improvements.

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #553 of 1,128

Quote:
You'd need his ears and, by far most importantly, his brain too.

Potentially. I guess it depends on how large those improvements actually are, and whether they go in a direction you like. If you have a speaker with an aluminum tweeter and you disconnect the tweeter, everybody should report similar findings - who turned off the treble. If you replace the aluminum tweeter with a silk dome, I wonder how many people would say the sound is better, and how many would say it's worse.

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #554 of 1,128

Quote:
Potentially. I guess it depends on how large those improvements actually are, and whether they go in a direction you like. If you have a speaker with an aluminum tweeter and you disconnect the tweeter, everybody should report similar findings - who turned off the treble. If you replace the aluminum tweeter with a silk dome, I wonder how many people would say the sound is better, and how many would say it's worse.

One also wonders how whether you inform them that a change has been made/the nature of the change would affect how people perceived the sound.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #555 of 1,128

Quote:
Quote:

One also wonders how whether you inform them that a change has been made/the nature of the change would affect how people perceived the sound.

That would be an interesting test indeed. Do the test first with the grills on, so that no one is aware of what kind of driver is being used and just ask people if they hear anything different after the tweeters have been switched. Then do the same test with the grills off, and explain that aluminum has been replaced with silk. I wonder how different the answers would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back