Do Denon AH-D2000 leak too much sound?
Jan 28, 2010 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

eucariote

1000+ Head-Fier
This has been asked before at Head-fi, but the answers have been all over the map. I've collected the answers given to this question, ranging in order from no leakage to excessive leakage, so you can see the remarkable lack of consistency and the reason for my continued confusion:

"the D2000 doesn't leak any sound"
"They don't leak very little, if at all."
"this phone doesn't really isolate well at all, but there is no sound leakage"
"The isolation for outside noise is not very good on those cans, but they leak almost nothing with moderate sound volume"
"2000 does leak if you do listen to them at high volumes"
"i wouldn't worry about sound leakage unless you are one of those people that listen to 80+ dB"
"They leak a reasonably ammount, specially with higher volumes, More so than my DT990s"
"Interest lost in D2000, can lack bass slam...? and it may has enough sound leakage?"

I will be using these headphones in a study in my house with my wife working nearby and do not want to disturb her. I don't listen to music excessively loud, but loud enough that I get looks of horror and concern when I listen to gratuitous rock music on my SR225s (sorry, no decibel meter handy). I've already bought and returned one set of closed headphones because of excess leakage (DT 250) and so would like to know in advance this time.

So, once and for all, will Denon D2000's leak enough sound that they will be heard in a quiet study when listening to music at a moderate volume? Thank you Denon owners for your help.
popcorn.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 18
Yes, chances are they will be HEARD, will it be loud enough to actually bother somebody? That depends on how loud you listen and how sensitive the other person is.

They do not leak a LOT, but they leak enough at slightly above moderate levels that if you're within like 5-10 feet of the person you can clearly understand the vocals of songs and hear the music. It certainly doesn't leak like Grados or any other open cans, but it does leak.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 18
They can't be as bad as my ATH-AD700. I swear the person next to you can hear more of the music than the person with the headphones on :p I use my ALO-780 now and according to mum (I'm 15
tongue.gif
) she can barely hear it. Listening to music as loud as I want is a possibility now
biggrin.gif
I never 'rock out' though, I am afraid of my ears ringing. I went to a 5 hour concert and they rang for 3 days. My friends were fine by the morning
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 18
Wow what a mixture of replies lol. I listen to My D-2000's on a moderate volume and my parents sitting maybe 5-6 feet away can't here a thing. However if your planning on listening at insane volumes they will for sure leak some sound.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks for your answers. 4/6 of you say that they will be heard in my situation (wife sitting 3 feet away in a completely quiet room with me rocking out). That is as close as you get to consensus at head-fi
tongue.gif
. So it looks like i'll be trying some other cans.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferazzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow what a mixture of replies lol. I listen to My D-2000's on a moderate volume and my parents sitting maybe 5-6 feet away can't here a thing. However if your planning on listening at insane volumes they will for sure leak some sound.

I agree absolutely agree. When playing these headphones at moderate to medium high levels (everyday listening) there is little no leakage.

I couldnt believe the results of this thread. Actually I just had to plug my headphones in and push them to their maximum. There is infact a small amount of leakage, but even then it may only be heard in a 7ft radius at most.

Interesting results to this thread. Guess some members push these headphones to their absolute limits on the daily.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 18
Well, Grado's are the extreme end of leakage. I know they are open, but they are only headphone I have heard that almost seem louder off your head than on it. I didn't buy them because I was looking at can's for work. My friends Senn HD 580's were fine at work even though they are open too.

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #15 of 18
The Denons should be called "semi-semi-open". From my experience, the perforated screen just outside the drivers leaks sound. Its there to move air in and out of the cups as the drivers resonate. The air and sound, appears to then escape out the small crack between the cups and metal frame ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back