Do AD700 pads break in?
Mar 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BackwardPawn

100+ Head-Fier
I really like these headphones and feel like they should be comfortable.  They have almost no clamp pressure, but something is weird about the pads.  No matter how I turn them, there is always pressure somewhere on my face.  Will these pads break in as I use them so I don't notice this pressure?  How long did others take to break in?  I've been using them for about a week now.

I realize part of my problem could be my jaw, so I wanted to make a reasonably priced pair of phones work before jumping into higher end.  The HD555 was way too clampy, but I thought this was perfect...now I'm not so sure.  It is definitely better than the Senns (both in sound and comfort).

If I keep putting up with it, will it get better?  Also, how do the AD700 comfort compare with Beyer?  I'm really interested in either DT880 or DT990 (600 ohm), but have no way to try them.  Would people say those headphones are more or less comfy/clampy than AD700.  Thanks a lot.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 14
I never experienced the issue you were talking about. The only discomfort I had was when the fuzz on the pads didn't yet go down so it was a little irritating to the skin. Where does it tend to put pressure on? I'm really having trouble imagining anywhere it would really apply any real pressure.

As for beyers, I've tried the dt770. Aside from my audio technicas, they are the most comfortable I've worn. There is definitely more clamping than the audio technicas, but that's really not saying much.

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 14
Depending on how I have them on, the pressure is either on my jaw under my ears or on my cheek bones.  I've had jaw problems before so it could just be me, but it seems like they should be putting more pressure behind your ear and less up front.  I've also been wearing them constantly for a week...maybe I just need to take a break and use my computer speakers some.

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 14
Have you had this problem with any other headphones? I don't think I've ever tried a pair of headphones that clamps less or puts less pressure on the face than Audio Technica's wing system.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 14
In high school and college I used Shure studio monitors without much issue.  After that, I bought myself a home theater system and didn't use non-portable headphones for a while.  I've had some muscle problems that have affected my jaw since then, though.  That's probably why I'm feeling it.  I didn't really think the AD700 would be an issue since the pads are pretty soft.  They did figure out whats wrong (which is why I was in the hospital), so hopefully that'll get better soon.

If not, I've got an old stereo amp here.  I may just get speakers and not get into higher end headphones.  I feel like you get more detail out of headphones, though.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 14
ah i see. Well I wish you the best with your jaw. Yeah, it might be better to stick with speakers in your case. Clarity tends to go up and soundstage tends to go down wih smaller size. If you're looking for clarity perhaps you could consider IEMs? My $80 re0 IEMs are actually clearer than my over $500 w1000x headphones if that gives you an idea of the difference.

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 14
The IEMs might be a good idea.  I looked at them briefly but since I do a lot of gaming, thought I'd be better with full-sized.  Since these are so light and aren't working, I'm starting to rethink my whole approach, though.

I really just want a way to listen to my music collection whether I'm in my bedroom or my basement.  At present, I have my whole collection stored on my PC attached to expensive, yet mediocre logitech speakers.  Then I have my home theater in the basement with just a CD player and I can't find individual CDs to save my life.

I had started to put a second PC together when Intel recalled everything.  So I figured my best bet would be to get the headphones and listen in my room, for now.  Plus, headphones are better for listening late at night.  Seems I can't really win for trying, though.  Since the logitechs are good enough for games, I'll have to look into the IEMs or speakers for music.

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
The pads don't break in. Over time they soak up body oils and soften a bit, but also get smelly and greasy.

That description makes me never want to buy used headphones (or at least never keep the same pads).
blink.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 14
Beyers are so comfortable.  I loved that a lot about DT880 Pro when I had it.  HD600, too.

You may have a funky face. 
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
The pads don't break in. Over time they soak up body oils and soften a bit, but also get smelly and greasy.

Rubbish.  Check eBay or the FS forums and look for used Sennheisers. After a while the HD580/600/650 (and others probably)  have pancake flat pads that need to be replaced.  Pretty much any material that is soft/flexible will "break in" over time. It may be more accurate to say "break down" but tomayto tomaato.  Pads with leather or vinyl covers are less prone as the stiff outer material helps the pad hold it's shape. Cloth, not so much.

I can't speak for others but showering at least once a week helps keep my pads from getting too oily
rolleyes.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 14
I think he's referrin specifically to the ad700. They really don't pancake or flatten out very much. There just doesn't seem to be enough pressure on the pads to do that with the ad700. After over a year my ad700's pads have barely changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back