Do 250 ohm headphones require amp/dac or just the audio interface will be ok?
Jun 21, 2018 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

garvtaneja

New Head-Fier
I've bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 OHM headphones for the purpose of producing, mixing and mastering. I don't know if I'll just need an audio interface, or amp/dac or something else. What product/combination shall I buy? My budget is around 200 USD, but can increase if necessary. Thanks.

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 7
With audio production, an Audio Interface and the software it comes with would benefit you more then a sound card.

For audio production, I would have tried and talked you into getting headphones like the Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-V7506, which I think would be better (more neutral sounding) for audio production.
The DT770 having more a strong bass/treble (biased sound)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 7
So, do i need amp+dac too?
The AI (Audio Interface) is already providing the DAC function and should come with a headphone jack.
Is the headphone jack on the AI strong enough to drive 250-Ohm Beyer DT770, chances are at least decently.
As long as the AI comes with an (un-balanced) line-output, a separate headphone amplifier can always be added.
(I still think the V6/V7506 is better for Audio production)

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 7
The AI (Audio Interface) is already providing the DAC function and should come with a headphone jack.
Is the headphone jack on the AI strong enough to drive 250-Ohm Beyer DT770, chances are at least decently.
As long as the AI comes with an (un-balanced) line-output, a separate headphone amplifier can always be added.
(I still think the V6/V7506 is better for Audio production)
Thanks. So, I should get an interface along with a amp..? Can you please give some product recommendations?
+I'll be using a laptop (Dell Inspiron 5567) alongside

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks. So, I should get an interface along with a amp..? Can you please give some product recommendations?
+I'll be using a laptop (Dell Inspiron 5567) alongside
I'm not at all into audio production, never used an Audio Interface, but hardware wise it's a lot like an external sound card, so I have a half-way decent idea on how an Audio Interface works.
If I suddenly found myself having to buy an audio Interface, I would try and find something on sale or close-out, to get the best value for the money.
https://www.techbargains.com/Search#d433750
Also check the website Slickdeals.

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm not at all into audio production, never used an Audio Interface, but hardware wise it's a lot like an external sound card, so I have a half-way decent idea on how an Audio Interface works.
If I suddenly found myself having to buy an audio Interface, I would try and find something on sale or close-out, to get the best value for the money.
https://www.techbargains.com/Search#d433750
Also check the website Slickdeals.
Thanks for suggesting! Btw I'm still open for any recommendations/suggestions if anyone else could share their point of view

Users who are viewing this thread

Back