1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Do 250 ohm headphones require amp/dac or just the audio interface will be ok?

1. garvtaneja
    I've bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 OHM headphones for the purpose of producing, mixing and mastering. I don't know if I'll just need an audio interface, or amp/dac or something else. What product/combination shall I buy? My budget is around 200 USD, but can increase if necessary. Thanks.

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    With audio production, an Audio Interface and the software it comes with would benefit you more then a sound card.

For audio production, I would have tried and talked you into getting headphones like the Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-V7506, which I think would be better (more neutral sounding) for audio production.
    The DT770 having more a strong bass/treble (biased sound)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  3. garvtaneja
    So, do i need amp+dac too?

4. PurpleAngel Contributor
    The AI (Audio Interface) is already providing the DAC function and should come with a headphone jack.
    Is the headphone jack on the AI strong enough to drive 250-Ohm Beyer DT770, chances are at least decently.
    As long as the AI comes with an (un-balanced) line-output, a separate headphone amplifier can always be added.
    (I still think the V6/V7506 is better for Audio production)

5. garvtaneja
    Thanks. So, I should get an interface along with a amp..? Can you please give some product recommendations?
    +I'll be using a laptop (Dell Inspiron 5567) alongside

6. PurpleAngel Contributor
    I'm not at all into audio production, never used an Audio Interface, but hardware wise it's a lot like an external sound card, so I have a half-way decent idea on how an Audio Interface works.
    If I suddenly found myself having to buy an audio Interface, I would try and find something on sale or close-out, to get the best value for the money.
    https://www.techbargains.com/Search#d433750
    Also check the website Slickdeals.

7. garvtaneja
    Thanks for suggesting! Btw I'm still open for any recommendations/suggestions if anyone else could share their point of view