DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 25, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #677 of 4,456
also if i could find a used WA22 (or even just hear one locally), i know the Stratus used would be near impossible to find.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #679 of 4,456
Quote:
Just got my EML Mesh Plate and 5U4G tubes ...

Also received a new companion for the Stratus...

Nice way to start off the weekend.
smile_phones.gif

Really beautiful.

The EMLs should be my next acquisition.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #680 of 4,456
I'm really liking the EML 2A3 Mesh Plate with the LCD2/3/HE500. It brings the upper-mids slightly forward and cleans up the low-end quite a bit compared to the stock Shuguang tubes. However, the HD800 sounds a tad lean in bass and the HD650 still sounds darker than usual. I ordered a pair of Sophia Princess Mesh Plate tubes to see if it's a better pairing with the Senns.

Last pic of the EML's...

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #681 of 4,456
#18 has landed!

Well...it arrived last friday. But I honestly have spent every free minute I've had enjoying it's blissful output. I'll post more impressions as I listen more, but right out of the box this is, in my opinion, the best sounding headphone amp I have heard.

Right now I'm mainly listening with D7000s and W3000ANVs and they sound absolutely amazing. I have a pair of HD800s on loan to a friend that I will try out down the road and I've yet to try the HE-6s.

My setup, for those interested, is a Lacie LBD thunderbolt 1TB SSD->MacbookPro Retina->Audirvana+->PerfectWave MKII. All of my music is ripped from CDs to AIFF and a ton of albums from HDTracks. I honestly cannot imagine music sounding better than this. I have always been a closed headphone fan, and the PWMK2 and Stratus combo has absolutely blown me away with the unique sound it produces

I have an EML mesh 5U4G and a NOS input tube I plan on using down the road and I will most likely get a set of EML mesh 2A3s and a NOS pair of RCA black plates (looking at a pair on Ebay right now)

I'll try and post pictures when I get a chance.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #685 of 4,456
Great news! For me at least, since that means that #19 is on the bench, and that one is mine! Yay!!! Oh and yes, we need some photos please.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #686 of 4,456
Based on the current order list, lead-time for new orders is running around 8 weeks.
Quote:
OK so what's the build time for these amps?  

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #689 of 4,456
Nothing specific other than I'm enjoying the HD800 right now on the Sophia's. Much more than I did with the the EML's. Warmer sounding with better air up top. Musical even! Yeah, the HD800 can sound musical!

Edited to add: The ATH-W3000ANV also sounds nice on the Sophia's, too. The midrange no longer seems withdrawn as compared to stock tubes. Its soundstage depth sounds extraordinary.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #690 of 4,456
Quote:
Nothing specific other than I'm enjoying the HD800 right now on the Sophia's. Much more than I did with the the EML's. Warmer sounding with better air up top. Musical even! Yeah, the HD800 can sound musical!

Edited to add: The ATH-W3000ANV also sounds nice on the Sophia's, too. The midrange no longer seems withdrawn as compared to stock tubes. Its soundstage depth sounds extraordinary.

Completely agree on the HD800 musicality, something I never got with SS. I'm really happy with the HD800/Sophia combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back