DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #586 of 4,447
New toy syndrome? I have both HD800 stock cable and the Q cable (terminated in 4pin XLR). On the Stratus, I don't notice much difference. I'm fond of both. And it was really pleasant doing business with Steve. Below is my earlier post on this. But of course YMMV.

For my HD800, I have both the stock cable and a French Silk balanced (4 pin XLR) cable from Q Audio. I don't hear any noticeable difference between them on the Stratus. ( There could be subtle differences, but I have yet to carefully AB them.) With that being said, the Q cable is lighter, more manageable, and has better build quality.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #587 of 4,447
Quote:
New toy syndrome? I have both HD800 stock cable and the Q cable (terminated in 4pin XLR). On the Stratus, I don't notice much difference

Placebo effect could come into play as well. It's hard to eliminate the human factor. I'm also not talking a huge difference. Maybe not even a 1 percent difference. A hair-like nudge or tilt. Listening to a CD of John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme", the cymbals seem less harsh on Q-Audio cable. I'm getting a hint better articulation and instruments seem fuller, warmer, smoother in sound. It may be because of the slightly tamed HD800 treble on the Q-Audio cable. I'm definitely less bothered by the treble on the Q cable.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #588 of 4,447
Quote:

Placebo effect could come into play as well. It's hard to eliminate the human factor. I'm also not talking a huge difference. Maybe not even a 1 percent difference. A hair-like nudge or tilt. Listening to a CD of John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme", the cymbals seem less harsh on Q-Audio cable. I'm getting a hint better articulation and instruments seem fuller, warmer, smoother in sound. It may be because of the slightly tamed HD800 treble on the Q-Audio cable. I'm definitely less bothered by the treble on the Q cable.

This is fair enough :)  And thanks for the more specific impressions. Enjoy
size]

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #589 of 4,447
I won't get into the cable debate - but it sounds like you're hearing a difference so congrats.

And congrats to the new Stratus recipients - you will never look back!!

And +1 on the Stratus/LCD-3 combination - especially for rock and funk...

Now, in terms of rectifiers:  the 5T4 will most likely not work in the Stratus.  Here's part of a private email exchange with Donald (reprinted without his direct permission so I would urge you to contact him with specific questions).  I was asking about the 5V4G/GZ32:

The 5V4G has a separate heater and cathode, with the cathode connected to one of the heater pins, similar to how the 5AR4 is configured. I have the Stratus configured for directly heated rectifiers like the 5U4G and take the output from the center tap of the filament winding. So I don't believe the 5V4G will work properly in the Stratus  without a soldering change.

And since I believe the 5T4 is wired like the 5AR4, I would not use it.  Although Solude is of course right that loose particles inside a tube usually make no difference in sound and are not dangerous...

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #591 of 4,447
Quote:
I won't get into the cable debate - but it sounds like you're hearing a difference so congrats.

There's an actual debate? C'mon! I'm listening to my newly received Silver Dragon V3 cable for the LCD2 right now and I feel like I'm being attacked by icicles! Ouchie!
basshead.gif

Just ordered some EML tubes. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #592 of 4,447
I have many scars from the cable wars, my friend.  I am firmly and forever in the camp of the believers but there are those who will never come around because their heads are too deeply embedded in math and science and not open to the music or their bodies...

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #593 of 4,447
Quote:
I have many scars from the cable wars, my friend.  I am firmly and forever in the camp of the believers but there are those who will never come around because their heads are too deeply embedded in math and science and not open to the music or their bodies...

+1

beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #594 of 4,447
Quote:

+2  

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #598 of 4,447
Woohoo!

http://www.audioquest.com/usb-digital-audio/diamond

Better Voodoo! A live chicken in every cable.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back