DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 1, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #436 of 4,456
Quote:
Hi folks,

So this being my first post here, I wanted to let you know that partially thanks to this thread, I ordered a Stratus from Don last night. Tomorrow I'm getting a pair of LCD-3's delivered and will no doubt spend the weekend listening to them. This will be my first high-end headphone amp, but in the interim I'll be listening to the Audeze's on my Lyr/BiFrost combo. I'm pretty excited to say the least.

Would any of you be so kind as to offer opinions on a nice DAC to go with the Stratus? I would like to keep the cost less than $3,000 and would really love to get it below $2,000. I've been reading a lot here on the forums and elsewhere, and am a little overwhelmed by all of the choices out there. I would like to narrow it down a bit and then do some more focused research. Right now, I don't have a clue about which direction to go for a complimentary pairing with this amp.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

If you want a very natural sounding DAC look at the Hegel HD20. Too many DACs I've heard go for maximum detail retrieval but tend to sound slightly digital and unnatural IMO.

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #438 of 4,456
Quote:
For Stratus/HD800 owners using SE: do you use the IEC or Low Setting? I think the correct impedence match is 120 which is IEC, which is where I'm mostly at but sometimes I switch to Low and seem to get a small bump in volume/clarity which enables listening at a crazy low volume setting of about 1 on the dial.

IEC would give you a bump in the bass, low a more honest response.  With different tubes you could get where IEC gets you with a swap and vice versa.

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #443 of 4,456
I've used the EML 274B as a rectifier in the Stratus.  Technically it works.  I okayed it with Donald.  But I prefer the sound of the 5U4G.

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #444 of 4,456
I'm torn between getting a McIntosh MC225 or the Stratus for my HE-6 mainly and HD800's as well. Thing is, I have no way of testing the Stratus, and also, the HE-6 should sound amazing on the speaker taps of the mcintosh

Any experienced users here that can recommend their choice?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #445 of 4,456
The HE-6 is the only headphone I've tried that I would recommend with an amp other than the Stratus.  Sounds great on the Stratus, to be sure, but it sounds better from my solid state amp's speaker posts. I've had varied success with the HE-6 tapped from tube amps.  OTL amps to my ears sound strained.  Tube amps that provide extra bottom end don't work either - again to my ears - because the HE-6 already has such killer low frequencies that it can start to sound a bit bloated.  A tube-like SS amp is the best I've found so far...  But you should check the HE-6/Amp thread for more knowledgeable responses...

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #447 of 4,456
The Stratus uses custom output transformers to provide greater voltage output than a typical 2A3 amplifier. Into a 50 ohm load like the HE-6, it produces a maximum of 9.5Vrms, equivalent to 1.8W. The HE-6 is rated at 83.5dB/1mW efficiency. 1.8W into them = 116dB.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #448 of 4,456
Which would be great if true, but the real sensitivity is 77dB/1mW. 19.7mW or 1V for 90dB.  The other side of this is the HE-6 fans like to run them off 100W class A mono blocks so 1.8W is a hard sell :wink:

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #449 of 4,456
Thanks for this info. Recalculating with 77dB/1mW efficiency, with 1.8W they produce 109.5dB. That's much louder than I ever listen.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #450 of 4,456
Quote:
The Stratus uses custom output transformers to provide greater voltage output than a typical 2A3 amplifier. Into a 50 ohm load like the HE-6, it produces a maximum of 9.5Vrms, equivalent to 1.8W. The HE-6 is rated at 83.5dB/1mW efficiency. 1.8W into them = 116dB.

That means roughly 190 milliamps (0.19 amps) of current into a 50 Ohm load?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back