DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jan 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #421 of 4,456
Thank you for your elaboration, fejnomit. Have you received your Sophia Princess 2A3 tubes? And would you please share your impressions? Thank you again for your input!

Quote:
HE-6 = very good with Stratus and super-resolving Sabre DAC.
HE-6 = even better with SS speaker amp and NOS tube DAC.
HE-5 = best with Stratus and either DAC...

I agree - keep tubes in the chain!

My $.02

This old saw, well...  To me it depends a lot on what "noticeable" means and whose ears are doing the noticing.  Plus please keep in mind it's not just the conductor that matters, the construction of the cable matters MUCH more.  People compare copper to silver and after-market to stock using cables that have the same incorrect geometry, the same smearing dielectrics, the same detail-crushing connectors, and then they wonder why they can't hear very much of a difference.  To be sure, silver is generally faster and more liquid but tone can falter while copper puts meat back on the bone sometimes at the expense of detail.  I prefer a combination of both and that's what SAA has, actually.  But the construction of the cable is where you will *notice* incredible differences.  By eliminating teflon and bogus shielding technologies and expensive multi-metal connectors you will achieve quite an obvious upgrade in sound.  Less is more. This also partly answers the question about connector type.  From my experience, the 4-pin XLR sounds best - including in the Stratus - of all connectors - with the 1/8" next (which for the Stratus is moot, I realize.).  For me, these changes have made it impossible for me to ever go back to any kind of stock or stock-made cable. 

That's one of the advantages to the TRS input on the Stratus, the options between the IEC/Low impedance and 0db/-6dB gain allow you to tailor the sound much more than the switch between SE and BAL on the balanced intputs.  For that reason alone sticking with a 1/4" connector might be a good idea...

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #423 of 4,456
For me it's the Lampizator with custom R2R chip.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #425 of 4,456
Quote:
I know this has been discussed earlier. Still, any additional impressions/opinions on Sophia Princess 2A3 vs EML mesh plate 2A3 on the Stratus for HD800? 

I think the Princess's are superb and provide a clear improvement on the stock Stratus 2A3's with the HD800. I have not heard the EML's, I think Bud has, maybe shoot him a PM?

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #426 of 4,456
Quote:
Have you received your Sophia Princess 2A3 tubes? And would you please share your impressions?

Still burning them in.  So far they are tad bright and forward.  They work best with a more mellow rectifier like the RCA 5R4GY I have been using.  Also they are better suited to the HD800s (as Budx has suggested) and the T-1s rather than the LCD-3s and the HE-5s. 

Right now the best sound I've heard from the Stratus is coming from the EML 5U4G mesh recitifer with the Ken Rad dual mono plate 2A3s into the HE-5s.  A sublime combination.

Also, I must state for the record that contrary to the record I quite prefer the sound of the stock 6N1P provided by Donald over the NOS cryoed RCA 6BQ7A.  No accounting for taste...

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #428 of 4,456
Third_eye and fejnomit, thank you very much for your input.

I actually asked Donald to get a pair of Sophia Princess 2A3 mesh plate tubes for me instead of the stock Shuguang pair when I placed my order with him. I just heard from Donald that he tested the pair of Sophia Princess 2A3s he ordered from Sophia Electric using his Amplitrex tube tester. He found that both their filament voltage was low and plate current was low. The plate current measured 35mA, which is significant lower than the nominal pate current rating of 60mA. Donald has contacted Sophia Electric for a replacement or refund.

The above recent event makes me worried about Sophia Electric's workmanship and the reliability/durability of their tubes. The EML mesh plate 2A3s, which Donald seems to like a lot, look higher quality construction than the Sophia. Yet I am also aware of some reliability issues of EML tubes discussed on AudiogoN Forums. Has any of you who own Sophia Princess 2A3s tested them? And what's your opinion on their build quality and reliability/durability (vs EML ones)? 

BTW, as a more general question, do you guys own any tube testers and test your tubes before plugging them onto your amps? Donald's Amplitrex tube tester is way beyond my budget...

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #430 of 4,456
I don't own a tube tester but I am starting to wish I did.  I have sent back or sold every pair of Sophias I have ever had except for the 2A3s.  There are definite reliability issues.  I have never, however, had a problem with EMLs.  I have globe 45s, 2A3 meshes, 5U4G, 274B, 300B meshes.  Never a problem.  Never a sense they were unbalanced or under powered.  Can't say the same for Sophia...

So far I prefer the EML 2A3s to the Sophias but jury's still out...

I have never tried KR 2A3s.

I might be able to find a pair of HE-5s if you are seriously interested.  PM me...

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #431 of 4,456
Quote:
I don't own a tube tester but I am starting to wish I did.  I have sent back or sold every pair of Sophias I have ever had except for the 2A3s.  There are definite reliability issues.  I have never, however, had a problem with EMLs.  I have globe 45s, 2A3 meshes, 5U4G, 274B, 300B meshes.  Never a problem.  Never a sense they were unbalanced or under powered.  Can't say the same for Sophia...

So far I prefer the EML 2A3s to the Sophias but jury's still out...

I have never tried KR 2A3s.

I might be able to find a pair of HE-5s if you are seriously interested.  PM me...

Thank you for the warm offer. I'll let you know when I'm ready to try the HE-5s.

Look forward to your final preference between the EML 2A3s and the Sophia ones.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #432 of 4,456
Hi folks,

So this being my first post here, I wanted to let you know that partially thanks to this thread, I ordered a Stratus from Don last night. Tomorrow I'm getting a pair of LCD-3's delivered and will no doubt spend the weekend listening to them. This will be my first high-end headphone amp, but in the interim I'll be listening to the Audeze's on my Lyr/BiFrost combo. I'm pretty excited to say the least.

Would any of you be so kind as to offer opinions on a nice DAC to go with the Stratus? I would like to keep the cost less than $3,000 and would really love to get it below $2,000. I've been reading a lot here on the forums and elsewhere, and am a little overwhelmed by all of the choices out there. I would like to narrow it down a bit and then do some more focused research. Right now, I don't have a clue about which direction to go for a complimentary pairing with this amp.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #433 of 4,456
Quote:
Hi folks,

So this being my first post here, I wanted to let you know that partially thanks to this thread, I ordered a Stratus from Don last night. Tomorrow I'm getting a pair of LCD-3's delivered and will no doubt spend the weekend listening to them. This will be my first high-end headphone amp, but in the interim I'll be listening to the Audeze's on my Lyr/BiFrost combo. I'm pretty excited to say the least.

Would any of you be so kind as to offer opinions on a nice DAC to go with the Stratus? I would like to keep the cost less than $3,000 and would really love to get it below $2,000. I've been reading a lot here on the forums and elsewhere, and am a little overwhelmed by all of the choices out there. I would like to narrow it down a bit and then do some more focused research. Right now, I don't have a clue about which direction to go for a complimentary pairing with this amp.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Congrats on the Stratus, great choice
regular_smile .gif

There are many good DAC's in this price range, depending on feature set, ergonomics, etc...

Ayre QB9
PS Audio PWII
Nad M51
Mytek 192
Grace m903
Lynx Hilo

and others.....

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #435 of 4,456
I would add:

Eximus DP-1
Wyred 4 Sound Dac2

Congrats.