DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Nov 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #241 of 4,456
Quote:
To reply to madbull, HE-6s come quite alive with the Stratus.  Awaiting a new cable to make final judgement, but it's killer so far.

Also, one more thing to add -- the new Hifi Tuning "Supreme" fuse on the Stratus has provided a nice little bump in resolution and sparkle...

I second the HE-6 recommendation, though I think they still improve further with more power, like my 100 wpc Odyssey Cyclops.

THANK YOU very much for the fuse recommendation. I've intended to swap it over from my Sonett for weeks. Now I will just DO IT.

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #243 of 4,456
Interesting.  Too bad I sold my LCD-2s...  But I'm listening to my LCD-3s on the Stratus as I write and it's hard to imagine anything better.

Did we already talk about the T-1s here, I forget?  Best I've ever heard them as well...  Go Donald...

And I agree about the HE-6s.  Contemplating one of the new First Watt amps for them...

Also, rolled in a cryo'ed 6BQ7a and I'm not sure if it needs a ton of break-in or what but so far I prefer the stock driver.  Suggestions?  I got them from Brendan, a beautiful matched pair, so I know they're good...

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #244 of 4,456
Also, in answer to Minimus, if you've ever met Donald, he is a very unassuming fellow with a small shop here in LA.  Everything is painstakingly constructed by hand with a small line-up of one or two amps, all hard-wired, tube rectified, etc. and he is, in almost every way, the polar opposite of Ray Samuels, both in amp design and business model.  So to me that comparison is moot...

The better comparison, as I stated before, would be with Craig's amps and specifically the ECBA 2A3/45 version or, failing that, the ECBA 300B/PX4 which many more people here seem to own.  And I say this because, in terms of sound, t it depends entirely on the tubes you like.  The Stratus and the BA use directly heated triodes.  They are in another league entirely from Russian super tubes and/or 6SN7s.  Neither of the latter could ever hold a candle to a killer directly heated triode (correctly implemented) like the 2A3 or 45 or 50 or 10Y or 801a or 71A, or, some would argue, even the 300B or PX-4.  It's an entirely different game, the proverbial apples and oranges, in terms of soundstage, detail retrieval, breadth of frequency response, etc. 

That being said, I was not wowed by the Sonett either and have since sold mine.  With the ECBA and the Stratus I have a number of DHT options covered.  My main stereo amps also runs 45s, which to me are the pinnacle.  To imagine it running with 6SN7s is a joke. 

So... I guess what I'm trying to say is, I would suggest you research whether you have an ear for DHTs other than the ubiquitous 300Bs.  If that's your thing, then I might suggest auditioning the BA with the 2A3 which I'm sure is easier to find, to see if you like that more than your Super 7.  Then you would be closer to being able to judge the sound of the Stratus because, frankly it has nothing to do with the Sonett...

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #246 of 4,456
Quote:
Neither of the latter could ever hold a candle to a killer directly heated triode (correctly implemented) like the 2A3 or 45 or 50 or 10Y or 801a or 71A, or, some would argue, even the 300B or PX-4.

My personal speaker amps use the 10Y driving parallel single ended 2A3s.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #248 of 4,456
Quote:
fejnomit said:
 s/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting.  Too bad I sold my LCD-2s...  But I'm listening to my LCD-3s on the Stratus as I write and it's hard to imagine anything better.

Did we already talk about the T-1s here, I forget?  Best I've ever heard them as well...  Go Donald...

And I agree about the HE-6s.  Contemplating one of the new First Watt amps for them...

Also, rolled in a cryo'ed 6BQ7a and I'm not sure if it needs a ton of break-in or what but so far I prefer the stock driver.  Suggestions?  I got them from Brendan, a beautiful matched pair, so I know they're good...

fejnomit, why didn't you like the LCD-3 with the Stratus? Anyone else on this question? santacore, explanation please ?

Yup, I used the T1 for all of my initial tube comparisons described here and it was in my signature for weeks.

Good idea. I borrowed the SIT-2 (stereo) and the J2 from Mark for audition with the HE-6. Didn't suit me -- seemed like an impedance mismatch, as I recall. Too bad I didn't try it with the HD800. I'm trying to obtain a similar unit from another wizard. But two local buddies liked the J2 so much they each bought one - to drive their smallish speakers. I found it a bit edgy - FAST transients.

I don't understand the issue with the cryo'd 6BQ7a from Brendan. Mine was immediately obvious. It did become cleaner and more transparent after ~100 hrs, but the difference in detail retrieval was obvious right away here. Maybe Donald will comment on this?

Wow, Jessye Norman's voice is heart-rending and gorgeous clear singing Brahms with Barenboim!

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #249 of 4,456
Budx3385, what are your impressions of the T1 vs HD800 with the Stratus (and the Sonett for that metter)? I have limited experience with both phones but my sense is that the HD800 is better at spreading things out and I value that. On the other hand, the T1 has seemed a bit more coherent (the band is really playing together, all on the same stage) to me and I see that as a rare strength. What do you think?

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #250 of 4,456
Quote:

fejnomit, why didn't you like the LCD-3 with the Stratus? Anyone else on this question? santacore, explanation please ?

In fact, he seems to love his LCD-3s with his Stratus:

"But I'm listening to my LCD-3s on the Stratus as I write and it's hard to imagine anything better."

smile.gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #251 of 4,456
I tried the LCD 2.2 and 3 in a side by side with the Strat. Both myself and a friend thought the 3 better by a wide margin. This was with the EML solids. Instuments were more whole and natural, better spacing and imaging, bass was cleaner, and there was absolutely no sizzle in the upper mids, which we found with the 2.2 in the side by side.

With stock tubes, the LCD2.2 was the clear winner IMO.

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #252 of 4,456
Quote:
Budx3385, what are your impressions of the T1 vs HD800 with the Stratus (and the Sonett for that metter)? I have limited experience with both phones but my sense is that the HD800 is better at spreading things out and I value that. On the other hand, the T1 has seemed a bit more coherent (the band is really playing together, all on the same stage) to me and I see that as a rare strength. What do you think?

I agree. We had the HD800 balanced and T1 single ended on the Stratus. The 800 was the more spacious, but the imaging not as precise and 3D as the T1.

The funny thing was that a friend was listening to some Japanese drum music with the LCD3 and HD800 on the Stratus. He was blown away by the natural and full presentation of deep drums on the 3. The 800 in comparison sounded "like someone hitting plastic baskets."
biggrin.gif

On the positive side, he loves his 800 for classical music, which makes up most of his listening.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #253 of 4,456
I've been searching for a comparison of the Stratus with the Eddie Current Zana Deux SE and 2A3 without luck. Have any Stratus owners compared them or know of any comparative reviews?

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #254 of 4,456
Quote:

Hi. Good question. I've only done quick comparisons, not a rigorous analysis. Using the EML solids, the T1 just sings - natural tone, exc dynamics, detail, solid, 3-D presentation in front of my nose. That was my top choice on the Stratus for weeks. Using the EML solids, the HD800 made a wide, holographic soundstage, but the pieces didn't quite fit together, and the SQ was not quite as enjoyable (music!) as the T1. 

Using the Sophia Princess 2A3s on my Stratus, my preference switched. You can read the details in my earlier comments in this thread. Bottom line = the T1 sounds constricted, not as "coherent", with pieces out of place. Quite the contrary, the HD800 produces a sound world  I've never experienced before -- I am immersed in a seamless space, all voices in their place, entirely coherent, a comfortable distance beyond my nose, tone is completely natural (a chamber music concert last weekend sounded exactly the same!), w details and micro-details, liquid smooth mids, solid drum whacks, superb decay, and just enough recording site ambience. Simply gorgeous, better than what I heard any headphone produce when the Pinnacle paid a visit here some months ago, better than what I heard from the LCD-3 when it was here, or the SR-009 with a maxxed out WES when they were here. Gush.

Quote:
I agree. We had the HD800 balanced and T1 single ended on the Stratus. The 800 was the more spacious, but the imaging not as precise and 3D as the T1.

The funny thing was that a friend was listening to some Japanese drum music with the LCD3 and HD800 on the Stratus. He was blown away by the natural and full presentation of deep drums on the 3. The 800 in comparison sounded "like someone hitting plastic baskets."
biggrin.gif

On the positive side, he loves his 800 for classical music, which makes up most of his listening.

Many thanks Duckman for sharing your careful comparisons. I wish I were as systematic about testing different genres of music for other ppl. To my ears, there are so many different types just within "classical"!

Quote:
I've been searching for a comparison of the Stratus with the Eddie Current Zana Deux SE and 2A3 without luck. Have any Stratus owners compared them or know of any comparative reviews?

Hi, I seem to remember some comments here earlier pertinent to that comparison, and Donald said something about the differences wrt transformer, a key source of voicing. Try a search on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back