DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Oct 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #212 of 4,464
Quote:
Any tube recommendations?

I've been listening to the EML solidplates for months now. I chose to listen to the "other" 2A3s again before selling them off. I've had the Sophia Princess in for 2 days now, and they just keep growing on me. They've been burned in lots more hours. They have all of the clarity of the EML solid plates, and almost as much magic as the EML meshplates. They reveal all of the rich Stratus presence. And they give a stage perspective that I like very much - somewhere between rows 4 and 12 - whereas the EMLs are right in my face and the EMLm are just slightly veiled.

I'll add more in a week. I've been using the T1s, and I want to get the HD800 and the LA7000 out.  And George at tubesusa has promised he'll tell me how the KRs compare in his 2A3 rig soon.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #214 of 4,464
Quote:

I didn't realise a tube change would give such a different perspective. I'd like to hear that one.

Shouldn't be surprised.

I'm surprised. And I don't understand at all how it happens. What is that sets the "depth" of perspective? I've asked several audio guru's and have yet to receive an answer.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #215 of 4,464
This one surprised me even more.

I hooked up the HD800 with the Princess, and I have never heard the Senn's sound better! Instead of being slightly dark or slightly bright, as I usually feel about the HD800, the tonality is spot-on. The stage is wide, in front of me, and well-proportioned, and the music is so liquid smooth -- like analog -- better, like it's live, no headphones at all..

Blows me away. Can't explain it at all. It's starting to feel like a dream - I've got new cyborg ears!. But absolutely 2D4. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #216 of 4,464
I've been enjoying the EML meshplates and the EML 5U4G. Also the EML 274B.  I don't have the Sophia 2A3s but I do have the Sophia 274B and there is something like the shift you are talking about with the rectifier switch as well.

And the HD800s have been one of my favorite with the Stratus from the get-go.  Like they aren't even there...

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #218 of 4,464
Has anyone tried Psvane 2A3T or the new 2A3T mkII? I wonder what is the sound differences between Shuguang 2A3T and Psvane 2A3T? Their body shape seems different, the Shuguang looks like a 2A3C while the Psvane looks like a 2A3B.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #219 of 4,464
I of course will try it stock and allow the tubes and caps to break in before rolling tubes. I am thinking about a NOS RCA 5U4 and some EML 2A3 mesh. Might make a nice Christmas present!

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #220 of 4,464
I'm really happy to read the comments and listening impressions of all of the new Stratus owners. Keep it coming, Ppl!

I am still entranced by the Sophia Princess / HD800 combo. I've been listening to many of my original showpiece CDs for the Stratus, like Szell/Cleveland/Schubert9th, and they are glorious with this combo. I tried the LCD-2, and it shows a comparable stage, but it doesn't have the liquidity and disappearing act of the HD800.  I still need to swap the EMLsolid back in to verify what I recall. Maybe later today.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #221 of 4,464
I'm really happy to read the comments and listening impressions of all of the new Stratus owners. Keep it coming, Ppl!

I am still entranced by the Sophia Princess / HD800 combo. I've been listening to many of my original showpiece CDs for the Stratus, like Szell/Cleveland/Schubert9th, and they are glorious with this combo. I tried the LCD-2, and it shows a comparable stage, but it doesn't have the liquidity and disappearing act of the HD800.  I still need to swap the EMLsolid back in to verify what I recall. Maybe later today.

What is truly interesting is that there are currently no more than 9 or 10 stratus owners in the World to share tube experiences (#11 and #12 are on order right now) with and most of them probably have read this posting on this website!

Very Small World...

:)

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #223 of 4,464
From EML website:

"2. Do the tubes need a burn in?

Yes they do! Good Burn-in will assure maximum lifetime and develop the final sound. These tubes are burned-in initially. This burn-in process will be extended in the first 50-100 hours under normal (home) use conditions. This means you must switch off the amplifier after each use, and in the beginning not use the tubes longer than 4 hours at one time. Many short use periods have a better result than few long periods. The tubes need the „cold“ periods in between for best formatting of the filament. Some occasional blue glow effects will disappear during burn-in, or may stay. This is not gas, and it is normal. Use different loudness levels from the beginning, and increase the maximum loudness gradually. If tubes with very little use were switched off longer than 12 months, is necessary to repeat the burn in."
http://www.emissionlabs.com/diversen/FAQ.htm

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #224 of 4,464
I'll start to audition my new K1000 (serial 39xx) on Monday... And I'm getting ready to order the EML tubes.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #225 of 4,464
Actually it's # 29xx (guaranteed bass heavy). Veredict: DNA Stratus + K1000 = WIN.

The best bass I ever heard on electronic sound reproduction. Period. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back