DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 19, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #4,336 of 4,456
RCA 6cg7 is my most recent. Sylvia is 6bq7a has been very good, countless 6n1p. Favorite remains Pearl Cryo 6n1p but I haven’t seen one for sale in maybe 3 years.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #4,337 of 4,456
Been thinking about buying a Utopia. This is good to know. Have you tried the newer Utopia with Stratus or just the OG?
I’ve tried the Utopia 22 off the Stratus and Stellaris. I A/Bd the OG and the 22 off the Studio B (I think it’s a solid pairing too). I personally like the 22 a bit more. I feel they’re a touch warmer but improved bass and I felt the 22 was a bit better in clarity. I still feel they extend just as well up top too. Just a bit smoother. Some think the top is missing or blunted or something on the 22. I don’t feel that way.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #4,338 of 4,456
I’ve tried the Utopia 22 off the Stratus and Stellaris. I A/Bd the OG and the 22 off the Studio B (I think it’s a solid pairing too). I personally like the 22 a bit more. I feel they’re a touch warmer but improved bass and I felt the 22 was a bit better in clarity. I still feel they extend just as well up top too. Just a bit smoother. Some think the top is missing or blunted or something on the 22. I don’t feel that way.
Cool. Thank you.

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #4,340 of 4,456
I love my senns with my DNA too, but the Utopia is on another level with it IMO. Favorite combination. I actually prefer this combo over the Susvara and Envy.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this, but I prefer the HD-800S to the Utopia coming from the Stratus (and Stellaris). Utopia images better, but the HD-800S wins out for soundstage. I find them very close when it comes to resolution/technicalities, so this is just a personal preference thing. The biggest knock against the HD-800S is the lack of bass, but this isn't as much of an issue coming from a DNA amp. It's a great match.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #4,341 of 4,456
Yeah, it beats it on stage width, but to my ears the Utopia has it beat on depth.
Utopia is faster, more clarity, more dynamic, the 22 has really good timbre, I think it layers better too. IMO it’s a step above the 800S. And this is coming from someone who loves the 800S.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #4,342 of 4,456
Yeah, it beats it on stage width, but to my ears the Utopia has it beat on depth.
Utopia is faster, more clarity, more dynamic, the 22 has really good timbre, I think it layers better too. IMO it’s a step above the 800S. And I this is coming from someone who loves the 800S.

Actually I haven't heard the 2022, and that might make a big difference. I agree that the Utopia is more dynamic, but I found the HD-800S to sound more natural.

For that fast, dynamic, harder-hitting sound I ended up preferring the ZMF VO with Be2 pads. The sound signature is similar to the Utopia, trading some technicalities for increased bass presence.

You're right though. the Utopia sounds pretty incredible through DNA amps. Insanely good resolution, very dynamic, sounds great with all genres, etc.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #4,343 of 4,456
To further expand the list of headphones for consideration, I really do like the ZMF Atrium with the Stellaris. Enough I sold my Utopia OG.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #4,345 of 4,456
I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this, but I prefer the HD-800S to the Utopia coming from the Stratus (and Stellaris). Utopia images better, but the HD-800S wins out for soundstage. I find them very close when it comes to resolution/technicalities, so this is just a personal preference thing. The biggest knock against the HD-800S is the lack of bass, but this isn't as much of an issue coming from a DNA amp. It's a great match.

So your saying DNA makes the bass between 800S and utopia more equal or it just raises the bass level to 800S to not make it much of a weakness anymore ?

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #4,347 of 4,456
Just picked up a Utopia 22 and it sounds stellar on the Stratus. Replaces Atrium.

Do you prefer 22 on the lower impedance output? It sounds better overall to me on low, but I can see myself switching to high on certain trackers. High impedance really bumps up the bass and pulls vocals back. It’s almost like two different amps. Didn’t experience that on any other headphones I tried with Stratus.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #4,348 of 4,456
Just picked up a Utopia 22 and it sounds stellar on the Stratus. Replaces Atrium.

Do you prefer 22 on the lower impedance output? It sounds better overall to me on low, but I can see myself switching to high on certain trackers. High impedance really bumps up the bass and pulls vocals back. It’s almost like two different amps. Didn’t experience that on any other headphones I tried with Stratus.
Honestly, I never messed with the impedance because I got a balanced cable for it and I didn’t really hear that much of a difference. I know there’s more of a difference when you use quarter inch. But maybe my hearing is not that good 😂

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #4,349 of 4,456

I like it on low too. It’s the best option IMO. And I agree, the Utopia is more sensitive so you pick up on the impedance changes easier.
I find if you have a DAC that you can tweak the voltage on, increasing it can make it more intense or less with less voltage.
I use xlr too and can tell, but 1/4 is much easier.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #4,350 of 4,456
Honestly, I never messed with the impedance because I got a balanced cable for it and I didn’t really hear that much of a difference. I know there’s more of a difference when you use quarter inch. But maybe my hearing is not that good 😂
Yeah I’ve primarily used the XLR out until now because there wasn’t much of a difference. Utopia change is significant, though. Radical change in tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back