DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #4,351 of 4,434
FYI for y’all as a newbie reading through may be utterly confused about this, there can be three impedance options via 1/4” and only one via XLR:

• XLR outputs have 8 ohm output impedance
• 1/4" stereo TRS output has selectable gain attenuation between 0dB and -6dB for greater volume control range on higher sensitivity headphones
• 1/4" stereo TRS output on full gain, 0dB attenuation setting has selectable output impedance between 8 ohm (Low setting) and 120 ohm (IEC setting)
• 1/4" stereo TRS outut on -6dB gain attenuation setting has selectable output impedance between 3 ohm (Low setting) and 115 ohm (IEC setting)

@thehutch you should have heard a significant change going from 120 ohm to 8 ohm on your ZMF, dampening factor at these two ohms is in play. Obviously it will be more noticeable on a lower impedance headphone such as the Utopia over a 300 ohm headphone, it still should be quite noticeable in a different way.

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #4,352 of 4,434
FYI for y’all as a newbie reading through may be utterly confused about this, there can be three impedance options via 1/4” and only one via XLR:

• XLR outputs have 8 ohm output impedance
• 1/4" stereo TRS output has selectable gain attenuation between 0dB and -6dB for greater volume control range on higher sensitivity headphones
• 1/4" stereo TRS output on full gain, 0dB attenuation setting has selectable output impedance between 8 ohm (Low setting) and 120 ohm (IEC setting)
• 1/4" stereo TRS outut on -6dB gain attenuation setting has selectable output impedance between 3 ohm (Low setting) and 115 ohm (IEC setting)

@thehutch you should have heard a significant change going from 120 ohm to 8 ohm on your ZMF, dampening factor at these two ohms is in play. Obviously it will be more noticeable on a lower impedance headphone such as the Utopia over a 300 ohm headphone, it still should be quite noticeable in a different way.
Huh interesting I had no idea the impedances were different in SE based on the gain, but that seems kind of obvious now that you point it out. I was listening to the Utopia on low gain, so 3 ohm and 115 ohm.

I mostly listened to Atrium on XLR. But when I listened on SE, I did hear a big difference in volume and there was a change, just didn’t seem anything like what I heard with Utopia. Perhaps I didn’t compare closely enough.

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #4,353 of 4,434
Utopia is also very sensitive so it picks up differences much more than the ZMF gear. I used to use it first to see what difference there were when I changed up my chain. ZMF is smooths so it sounds good off just about everything compared to the Utopia.

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #4,354 of 4,434
For the last couple months, between a lot of life events, I've been having a lot of fun with a couple new amps (an uber Glenn OTL and a Cayin HA-300b Mk1) and the associated tube rolling. The Stratus kind of sat there as its roommates shifted and changed outfits and I was having so much fun with the new toys that it sat in the corner, forlorn. With the other amps, I'd tube rolled towards 'experience' and got some crazy holographicness with the Cayin (WE 300b and Mullard white print 6v6) and the Glenn (Thompson 6080, Siemens c3g, Mullard6J5s) on both the Atrium and the JAR800S.

I preferred the experience coming out of those amps, they just brought the music to life while the Stratus was the grand old dame, exceptional but safe.

So I rolled out the Acme's and went back to my other favorites, Japanese-made NEC 2a3's and the life came back and I'm back to that amazing experience that I crave. I will probably roll the Acme's back in at some point, and objectively the Acme's are 'better' but these NECs (and some other NOS 2a3's I have, like the GE's and 40's Westinghouses) have such life, such a fun experience that I'm back to the blue beauty (full disclosure, one of my WE300b's is en route back to WE so the Cayin is out of service atm).

It reminds me of my feeling with 6N1P tubes - they are the most 'correct' tubes on the Stratus, in my experience, but also the least fun among the good options. I am back to my favorite, a Fivre 6BQA7(iirc) and this combo is pure, unadulterated, expansive, holographic FUN.

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #4,355 of 4,434
Has anyone here ever swapped in an upgrade fuse to their Stratus? I recently swapped a Synergistic Research Purple into my DAC and my experience with that has made me curious about doing it elsewhere too. I don't want to get in a discussion about the merits of fuse upgrades, as it seems strange to me, but the effect was very noticeable and for price of a tube if I can get a similar impact on the Stratus, I'm very interested.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #4,356 of 4,434
Has anyone here ever swapped in an upgrade fuse to their Stratus? I recently swapped a Synergistic Research Purple into my DAC and my experience with that has made me curious about doing it elsewhere too. I don't want to get in a discussion about the merits of fuse upgrades, as it seems strange to me, but the effect was very noticeable and for price of a tube if I can get a similar impact on the Stratus, I'm very interested.
I've used all of the synergistic line from orange to blue to black to regular to purple. They all make a difference. For what it's worth my favorite by far in the stratus was the orange (purple was too bright for me).

Too bad a fussy elrog rectifier took out all of them one by one.

I'm back to some random amazon $0.50 fuse and I've never been happier.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #4,357 of 4,434
I've used all of the synergistic line from orange to blue to black to regular to purple. They all make a difference. For what it's worth my favorite by far in the stratus was the orange (purple was too bright for me).

Too bad a fussy elrog rectifier took out all of them one by one.

I'm back to some random amazon $0.50 fuse and I've never been happier.
I’m curious, why do you prefer the random Amazon fuse? Do the Synergistics alter the Stratus sound signature, or just improve it? I like the effect of the DAC fuse upgrade, but one could say it “artificially” presented the music by stretching the soundstage and depth. I like the effect but I'm curious if the Amazon fuse just returns it to the quintessentially Stratus sound?

Also, do you mind telling me which type of fuse you bought? Im not sure which fuse the Stratus takes (mine is a v3).

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #4,358 of 4,434
I’m curious, why do you prefer the random Amazon fuse? Do the Synergistics alter the Stratus sound signature, or just improve it? I like the effect of the DAC fuse upgrade, but one could say it “artificially” presented the music by stretching the soundstage and depth. I like the effect but I'm curious if the Amazon fuse just returns it to the quintessentially Stratus sound?

Also, do you mind telling me which type of fuse you bought? Im not sure which fuse the Stratus takes (mine is a v3).
I feel like I'm enabling here, but....

Synergistic fuses typically need a higher rating than their generic counterparts for...reasons? So I used a 2.5A slow blow (DNA approved).

The differences are there when I think about it. But the nervosa of blowing a $200 fuse for an incremental improvement in sound in the end is not worth it for me. I prefer the Amazon fuse for peace of mind, and ironically the one I threw in there a year ago is still working just fine.

For me I'm very picky about string timbre, so the presentation of the fancy fuses improved the stratus for me. The stratus for me had some slight issues in the upper mid area (Stellaris is more refined here, imo) and I fussed around with different options to make that region more in line with what I wanted. My general impressions of the fuses are similar to what you've said about artificially improving the sense of space and depth, but what I was really chasing after was that particular upper mid band.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #4,359 of 4,434
I appreciate that insight, thanks. I get the 'enabling' thought, but I was surprised (pleasantly) by the impact of a $150 upgrade, and think it's reasonable compared to the cost of a new 2a3 (or rectifier) tube, and had a much bigger impact, to my ears at least, than any power or interconnect cable upgrade, so now I'm curious to see what upgrading the fuse does at the amp level. I am trying to optimize my setup to the biggest 'experience', the most holographic, three-dimensional, impactful experience I can get. I get how that can run counter to the ideal of true neutrality or reproduction of 'the way the artist intended', but I do that willingly for my own experience. The fuse upgrade made an outsized impact in that area. I'm pounding on wood now, but I have not yet blown a fuse (even with some NOS tubes of questionable provenance) so don't see any major risk of blowing an upgraded fuse. And if I do, I'm knowingly willing to blow a $200 fuse - shipping tubes has proven to be higher risk for me.

Any chance you'd link to the Amazon fuse you're using? I can't find the Stratus fuse specs, but I can always ask Donald.

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #4,360 of 4,434
The only time I've blown a fuse was when using the Elrog 5u4g. I seems to work on with a 2.5a where as the standard fuse is a 2a per Donald.
The link for the standard 2a fuse is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X3GFV8...818WC92F&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've had a bad rectifier which blew some fuses in the EC I had back when but only time I've blown a fuse in the Stratus was with the Elrog 5u4g tube in it.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #4,362 of 4,434
Fuses have specific characteristics and their replacement must be tailored to the requirements of your equipment. The standard 2A fuse is not suitable for your device's current consumption.
Excuse us, this fuse is what Donald recommends to use if we need to replace a blown fuse. It’s the right size and is a slow blow fuse which is the requirement for the amps he builds.

Or are you referring to the use of more expensive fuses discussed? If one wants to roll fuses, let them try it out as a scratch which needs itching will be itched.

Apr 19, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #4,363 of 4,434
I’d just ask you @HannaLevy if you’re saying that’s not suitable for the Stratus, then what is?

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #4,364 of 4,434
Anyone ever compare stratus v3 vs v4? I heard v3 has a better richer warmer tone and v4 more hifi / detailed / dryer sounding.

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #4,365 of 4,434
I appreciate that insight, thanks. I get the 'enabling' thought, but I was surprised (pleasantly) by the impact of a $150 upgrade, and think it's reasonable compared to the cost of a new 2a3 (or rectifier) tube, and had a much bigger impact, to my ears at least, than any power or interconnect cable upgrade, so now I'm curious to see what upgrading the fuse does at the amp level. I am trying to optimize my setup to the biggest 'experience', the most holographic, three-dimensional, impactful experience I can get. I get how that can run counter to the ideal of true neutrality or reproduction of 'the way the artist intended', but I do that willingly for my own experience. The fuse upgrade made an outsized impact in that area. I'm pounding on wood now, but I have not yet blown a fuse (even with some NOS tubes of questionable provenance) so don't see any major risk of blowing an upgraded fuse. And if I do, I'm knowingly willing to blow a $200 fuse - shipping tubes has proven to be higher risk for me.

Any chance you'd link to the Amazon fuse you're using? I can't find the Stratus fuse specs, but I can always ask Donald.
Take a look at the fuse already in Stratus. Does one end read: T 2A 250v ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back