DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 15, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #3,901 of 4,456
So, ogodie, What are you using for your rectifier if you don't like 5U4Gs?

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #3,902 of 4,456
Hi,
Did anybody had the chance to compare the DNA Stratus 2A3 to Cayin HA-300 ?

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #3,903 of 4,456
Has anyone tried 5Y3GT or its variant 6106 rectifier with DNA Stratus? Only thing I have is Donald stated they (including 274B) are not optimal because of the power supply input capacitor value and total system capacitance. But I see some used 274B successfully with Stratus.

I am just wondering whether it will do damage the amp...

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #3,904 of 4,456
Hi,
Did anybody had the chance to compare the DNA Stratus 2A3 to Cayin HA-300 ?

I spent about 45 minutes with the HA 300 last year at Can Jam, and I own a Stratus so I’ve obviously spent a lot more time with it, that being said....

I thought the Cayin sounded very nice with Meze Empyreans, in fact I then went on to buy those cans because of how good it sounded. The Stratus, which again I live with, to me is on another level of Sophistication & musicality. I think part of that is down to the very simple circuit and premium components. I think the Stratus sounds very rich and big but also pretty fast and detailed, it’s liquid but not sloppy. My recollection of the Cayin was that it was very nice and I did want to own one, but it just did not have the sense of involvement that the Stratus does. Again this is all my recollection of quality time at a hi-fi show versus my ownership so take it with a grain of salt.

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #3,905 of 4,456
I spent about 45 minutes with the HA 300 last year at Can Jam, and I own a Stratus so I’ve obviously spent a lot more time with it, that being said....

I thought the Cayin sounded very nice with Meze Empyreans, in fact I then went on to buy those cans because of how good it sounded. The Stratus, which again I live with, to me is on another level of Sophistication & musicality. I think part of that is down to the very simple circuit and premium components. I think the Stratus sounds very rich and big but also pretty fast and detailed, it’s liquid but not sloppy. My recollection of the Cayin was that it was very nice and I did want to own one, but it just did not have the sense of involvement that the Stratus does. Again this is all my recollection of quality time at a hi-fi show versus my ownership so take it with a grain of salt.
I appreciate your input , thank you very much.

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #3,907 of 4,456
I am just wondering whether it will do damage the amp...
It won't damage the amp per say. Using a 274B for example in the Stratus will seriously stress the tube especially at startup. I don't know the exact live expectancy but I won't be surprised if it's five times lower than usual. Not to mention the high risk of the rectifier failing at startup which may inflict damage to other components such as output transformers. This is in addition of the tube being slightly overheated since the heater is not really compatible and if the mains are hot it could be out of spec risking even more.

I'd only try it for a very short audition to see if it's worth it but wouldn't consider running it long term.

I did for example try the sophia 274B mesh plate for about 20 minutes, very airy presentation with great soundstage but a bit light and lacking impact.

The Sophia 274B Aqua will work with a suitable adaptor.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #3,908 of 4,456
Hi folks,

Did anyone has tried driving ADX5000 with Stratus & put some light on the synergy. Please do share the impressions.

Rgds

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #3,909 of 4,456
Hi folks,

Did anyone has tried driving ADX5000 with Stratus & put some light on the synergy. Please do share the impressions.

Rgds
Sadly I have not. I have only tried Utopia, HD800, HD650, and Jomo Flamencos on the Stratus. I am getting a special headphone though soon to pair with the stratus, and am very excited to show ya'll. I haven't been on here in awhile, since I've largely migrated to stax and other non dynamic/planar headphones, so the Stratus hasn't been used much as of late.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #3,910 of 4,456
Boston guys using ya’ll is pretty rare... can’t wait to see what this special headphone will be.

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #3,911 of 4,456
This is not a reply to anything in particular but rather to share something I have experienced with tubes in my Stratus. I went through a number of Pvane WR2A3s with most making weird squeaking, ticking etc noises. I found a pair that was quiet after returning at least 5 tubes. Eventually those would act up on occasion but I couldn't sell them so, I just packed them away and almost forgot about them. After a few years, I pulled them out, put them in - dead quiet. I also purchased a pair of KR2A3s that were very microphonic. If I lightly bumped the chassis when adjusting volume it would set them off. If I tapped the chassis it sounded like an echo chamber. They sounded good but I then moved on to EML meshplates and the KRs sat in their boxes for a few years. I pulled them out a month ago and they are now only very slightly microphonic. So, it seems something happens with just letting them sit in a box unused. Weird. It's like they need to age. It even makes me wonder if there may be some relation to old NOS tubes that have been sitting for ages. Any one else had this experience?

I should add that I have Stratus #16 purchased in 2014 (I think and both upgrades). I can't imagine ever being dissatisfied in any way with it.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #3,913 of 4,456
I have sold my Focal Utopias, and am now getting a pair of K1000s. Should be here in the coming weeks, so I’ll try it out on the stratus for sure and let y’all know my impressions. My friend is also shipping me my repaired Lambda Signatures along with the Modded HD 598 tomorrow, so these next few weeks should be extremely interesting!

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #3,914 of 4,456
I have sold my Focal Utopias, and am now getting a pair of K1000s. Should be here in the coming weeks, so I’ll try it out on the stratus for sure and let y’all know my impressions. My friend is also shipping me my repaired Lambda Signatures along with the Modded HD 598 tomorrow, so these next few weeks should be extremely interesting!

Looking forward to it!

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #3,915 of 4,456
Hello, question Donald North suggested I post here: Anyone tried a Stratus with Hifiman Arya? Any thoughts on how it sounded? Thanks much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back