DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Dec 23, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #3,886 of 4,464
Same here. I have both but I cannot justify the replacement in the name of "experiment" haha. I do have non metal base gz34 and maybe I will sacrifice one when I feel like it. I will post here once I do that.

I would save the money and buy the eml 5u4g. I use it more than any of my other rectifiers.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #3,888 of 4,464
Merry Christmas to everyone and Eve to the state side!!

RCA black smooth plate 5U4G is arrived!! It will be a good Christmas for me!! I also got RCA 6bq7a and the tube itself has 6BZ7/6BS8 written on it (box only shows 6BQ7A). Quick search shows they are the same?? Will find out soon nobody but myself to blame.....

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #3,889 of 4,464
Hello. I’d been waiting for a long time to make a review of my experience with the Stratus. It’s been 3 years and I’ve had my ups and downs with it, and I’d like to share with you my thoughts so far.

First of all, my advice for new users. The stock Shuguang 2A3 tubes are pretty good. They are very balanced, have a nice tone and warmth, and best of all, they’re pretty direct (I’ll come back to this later). With better tubes, you’ll improve to various degrees some aspects like transparency, extension and precision, as well as some audiophile traits like soundstage, depth, air, etc., but they’re good enough that you may take your time to choose better tubes without worrying about losing a lot, and maybe even decide that you do not need to spend so much in better tubes.

What you need to change as fast as you can is the rectifier tube. I found the stock tube to be too shouty, dry and aggressive, and it gives the sound a grey tonality. As others have said in this thread, the rectifier is the most important tube in this amp, so it should be the first thing you do.

After some experimentation with rectifiers that don’t cost another amp, my preferred rectifier is the Sophia Aqua 274b. It’s very precise, extended, punchy, with a nice tone and warmth, and the price is less than $200. For me, there’s nothing that comes close in performance vs cost. I haven’t heard the KR special editions, which must be pretty good, but at a double cost or more. I also haven’t heard the original WE 274B or 422A but they are pretty expensive and I’ve had bad experiences in the past with supposed NOS tubes.

In my experience, 274B tubes have a better and more extended top end, but lack some punch and extension in the low end (with the exception of the Sophia Aqua), while 5U4G’s have better punch and extension down low but are not so good in the treble. As I said, this has been my experience so far, not a rule by any means.

Regarding the EML 5U4G, which is liked by many people in this thread, I have to say that I do not like it much. It is very punchy and has a very nice rich tonality, with a soft treble. The problem is that it’s too fuzzy, and while this gives the impression of richness and body, it gives away much in terms of transparency, precision and microdynamics, losing much of the musical message along. Try the Sophia and you’ll see what I mean.

However, what I found that elevated the sonics of the EML was the use of tube dampers I bought from Herbie’s audio lab. They really helped this tube a lot in terms of definition, transparency and extension. The only downside that some of you may not like is that it loses some warmth and body, which were due to the microphonics of the tube. However, I think the trade-off is really worth it, as the gain in the aspects mentioned above is really nice and much preferred to me.

Regarding 2A3 tubes, I’ve tried some, and the best advice I can give you is to stay clear of non 2A3 tubes. I’ve listened to all of the Sophia and Full Music 300B variants with 2.5v (mess, carbon and even the classic blue tube), and while they may do some audiophile aspects better, they all lack the directness of the 2A3 tubes. By directness I mean the emotional communication of the musical message. I don’t know why, but I found that aspect (very important to me) superior on 2A3 tubes. It may be because this amp is built and optimized specially for this tube. I also tried the WE 275 replica by Psvane and was wowed at the beginning by great tone and transparency, but after some time I found out it’s also rather dull and uninvolving.

I’d like to try the KR and the ACME 2A3 in the future, but they’re pretty expensive, so I’ll stay with the tubes I have for some time (Shuguang treasure and EML mesh).

Regards,

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #3,890 of 4,464
Hello JJ Braham,

My 2A3s of choice have long been the RCA dual-plate spring tops, which sell for around $200 each. I'm sorry to hear about your misfortunes with NOS tubes. I buy all of my tubes from Brent Jessee, and have been using him for more years than I can remember.

One of the things I love about the RCAs (though it's important that they're dual-plate and spring tops) are the amazing warmth, clarity, and spaciousness they give me. Another (and huge) advantage is that I've never had one last less than 8,000 hours, and I've topped 10,000 hours on a few.

I also have an RCA 5U4G, but will look into the Sophia.

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #3,891 of 4,464
Just had one of my KR 2a3 die on me after less than a year. Fortunately, I got them at a good price but it seems like the quality issues are real.

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #3,893 of 4,464
Just had one of my KR 2a3 die on me after less than a year. Fortunately, I got them at a good price but it seems like the quality issues are real.
I've got two pairs of the KR's...had one tube go bad after a couple of weeks...3 Are still working. I actually have a pair installed now but to be honest I think there are better tubes out there for much less cash.

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #3,894 of 4,464
Just bought a pair of ACME 2A3. Too lazy to chase NOS tubes.

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #3,895 of 4,464
I think they will be my next purchase...will be interested in your impressions. For the price, I hope they are exceptional!

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #3,896 of 4,464

I hope you bought them from Grant Audio and paid a bit extra for the "SELECT" ones.

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #3,897 of 4,464
I hope you bought them from Grant Audio and paid a bit extra for the "SELECT" ones.
Bought them in Germany from tube amp doctor. Couldn't choose. Matched paid, should be ok

Feb 15, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #3,898 of 4,464
saint.panda, I see you have an EML 5U4G and a decent 6N1P. That does it for my Stratus. Hope it works for a Stellaris. If you want to upgrade your input tube, pm Ruby Tiger.

Feb 15, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #3,900 of 4,464
If it works in the Stratus is works in the Stellaris.

Im still not a fan of the 5U4G, never found one I really liked.
Recently ordered a 422a. Hope the accolades are justified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back