DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Sep 7, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #3,813 of 4,456
No not at all. I am inquiring whether folks have heard a positive improvement by upgrading the rectifier. It seems they have.

My Stratus will arrive next week and I'm considering other rectifiers. the WE422A is out of my price range for now so I may consider the EML.

Sep 7, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #3,814 of 4,456
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #3,816 of 4,456
You need to use your Stratus with stock tubes for at least 2 months to break it in and give you a solid sound memory. During those two months, read this thread and take notes of tube combinations that you might like. The input tube, a 6N1P is a critical tube and makes a big difference in sound. Most here get a tuned/tested and cyroed one or two from Ruby Tiger.

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #3,817 of 4,456
My Stratus will be well used. I have EML 2A3s from another amp. I'll spend time w/ the stock tubes as you say to get a clear idea of that sound first.
With other amps I too have noticed the driver tube makes a big difference. I'll look through the thread to see what people are doing in that regard.

thanks!

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #3,818 of 4,456
Here is my Stratus with Utopias, M scaler and Qutest. It's been a journey over the last several years with all sorts of amps, DACS and HPs. I was an original Stratus owner years ago and sold it only to come full circle with this most recent version. In a word I'd say it's "captivating" which means my brain and ears like it very much. You may not hear very much from me on this thread now as I'll be busy listening to music. The Pass HPA-1 by the way might be my favorite SS amp. I have yet to compare it to the Stratus.:)

Stratus.JPG

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #3,819 of 4,456
Here is my Stratus with Utopias, M scaler and Qutest. It's been a journey over the last several years with all sorts of amps, DACS and HPs. I was an original Stratus owner years ago and sold it only to come full circle with this most recent version. In a word I'd say it's "captivating" which means my brain and ears like it very much. You may not hear very much from me on this thread now as I'll be busy listening to music. The Pass HPA-1 by the way might be my favorite SS amp. I have yet to compare it to the Stratus.:)

Hell yeah... Looks great in your system!

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #3,820 of 4,456
Matched super cryo 6N1P-EV Voshods.

Actually last night I started tube rolling in the Aficionado, I think it v. the Stratus is really the match up to consider.
So, after some time has passed I have to ask- how would you compare the Aficionado vs the Stratus? Also do you have the feedback mod installed on your ECA?

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #3,821 of 4,456
Just ordered a new set of ZMF Verite headphones . 300 OHM Verite meets 300 OHM Stratus. Should be stellar sound like 300 OHM Sennheiser HD 800, 800S, 600, 650.. Once again, there is a wait time of 5 weeks since each ZMF is hand finished and assembled like DNA amps.

Did you receive your Verite yet? I agree it should be an excellent match for the Stratus.

Sep 20, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #3,822 of 4,456
Yes, I have had my Verite and Eikon a while now. Verite is my go to HP most of the time and Eikon is my computer system HP. Both are great on Stratus.

Sep 22, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #3,823 of 4,456
Hi All,

I have a question about 6N1P tubes. I've been the owner of a DNA Stratus for about 6 years, but have recently run into a problem with my 6N1P tube, and wonder if anybody has experienced anything similar. About 4 months ago, I started getting a hissing from my headphones (Sennheiser 800s; since replaced by Sennheiser 800Ss). I switched the 6N1P tube and the hiss disappeared, but about a month later I began getting popping noises in the right channel. About 2 months after that I began getting a constant crackling sound in the right channel. So I switched in a new 6N1P tube again, and all was blessedly silent for 2 weeks. Now I'm getting popping noises in the right channel. Are 6N1P tubes so vulnerable, or might this be something else? Donald looked over my Stratus in June and found nothing wrong with it. Thanks!

Sep 23, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #3,824 of 4,456
I've had similar pops and cracking sound before on DNA and other amps. 99% it's because a connection is not as stable as it should be. Unless you've been playing around and soldering things oxidation comes to mind, either on the tube pins or the input socket.

The next time you hear pops, gently put pressure on the top of the 6N1P, use a towel or something if it's too hot. If when pressed in the socket the noise goes away you'll have to clean the tube pins and try some deoxit on the socket itself.

Does the noise increase with volume? That would tell you if it's before or after the volume control.

Sep 23, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #3,825 of 4,456
I've had similar pops and cracking sound before on DNA and other amps. 99% it's because a connection is not as stable as it should be. Unless you've been playing around and soldering things oxidation comes to mind, either on the tube pins or the input socket.

The next time you hear pops, gently put pressure on the top of the 6N1P, use a towel or something if it's too hot. If when pressed in the socket the noise goes away you'll have to clean the tube pins and try some deoxit on the socket itself.

Does the noise increase with volume? That would tell you if it's before or after the volume control.

Hello and many thanks! The noise does not increase when I turn up the volume. That said, I did just what you advised, pushed the tube down with a towel, and the popping went away! (At least for now, but I'll remain optimistic.) I have some Deoxit and will certainly try it should it ever happen again. You also gave me another idea: Herbie's makes tube dampers, that fit pretty tightly around vacuum tubes. I wonder if that might help keeping the 6N1P better anchored.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back