DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #3,256 of 4,464
- Input tube ( 6N1P-ev) . tried a bunch , including a very good Mazda/Miniwatt 6bq7a I like a lot but I still go back to this damn 6N1p-ev. It brings a special clarity , speed, neutrality no other 6bq7a I tried can approach.
It has very well defined lines, no "rubber knees" like others. Almost a DHT like. :D http://www.trioda.com/tools/triode.html

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #3,260 of 4,464
And there's no waiting, I think the amp will be gone rather quick.

Just checked and it's closed. The EML5U4G and WE275's are a magical pairing. The 275's are mono plates and worth the asking price except, getting a pair without problem's seems to be a real shot in the dark. If Psvane would take enough pride in their work to produce a really consistent quality tube I'm sure they would have a loyal customer following. I would be one of them.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #3,261 of 4,464
OdoU1mk.jpg

DeUG1iP.jpg

Finally, DNA Stratus in the house.

I only got to listen to the Stratus once at a small meet many years ago, before the first major update (choke upgrade) was implemented in mid-2013. This Stratus not only has the choke upgrade but also the latest 2017 updates which supposedly provides a higher level of transparency, blacker background, deeper soundstage at a small expense of DNA's signature liquidity/warmth/tube bloom.

I haven't heard the Stellaris, but so far, the Stratus is the best amp I've heard to date with my modded HD800. I'm currently driving it out of the TRS output but a balanced cable is on its way. I heard that there isn't a lot of difference between SE and BAL outputs, but I already prefer it to K1000 driven balanced. The Stratus is great with K1000 too (as it was originally designed with the K1000 in mind), but the HD800 is what makes the Stratus truly shine IMO.

Speaking of K1000, I found it rather strange that I could not find one single image of a Stratus/K1000 setup online, considering the Stratus is sort of meant for K1000 and many people own this combo. So here you ago.

May 6, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3,262 of 4,464
I tried some G5S-6 Deoxit Gold on my rectifier and input tube pins, and it really improves the detail of the music. I highly recommend it for anyone using NOS tubes. You won't find a better tweak for the money.

I sprayed a drop on each pin and let it drip for a minute before lightly brushing the pins to help remove the oxidation and dirt. Then I repeated the process. I did not insert the wet pins into the socket as recommended by the instructions. It works great my way without risking inadvertent damage to the Stratus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAIG-Labora...330429?hash=item1c50010cfd:g:b7UAAOSwDuJWxAPj

May 9, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #3,263 of 4,464
OdoU1mk.jpg

DeUG1iP.jpg

Finally, DNA Stratus in the house.

I only got to listen to the Stratus once at a small meet many years ago, before the first major update (choke upgrade) was implemented in mid-2013. This Stratus not only has the choke upgrade but also the latest 2017 updates which supposedly provides a higher level of transparency, blacker background, deeper soundstage at a small expense of DNA's signature liquidity/warmth/tube bloom.

I haven't heard the Stellaris, but so far, the Stratus is the best amp I've heard to date with my modded HD800. I'm currently driving it out of the TRS output but a balanced cable is on its way. I heard that there isn't a lot of difference between SE and BAL outputs, but I already prefer it to K1000 driven balanced. The Stratus is great with K1000 too (as it was originally designed with the K1000 in mind), but the HD800 is what makes the Stratus truly shine IMO.

Speaking of K1000, I found it rather strange that I could not find one single image of a Stratus/K1000 setup online, considering the Stratus is sort of meant for K1000 and many people own this combo. So here you ago.

That's a really nice, clean looking setup you have there. So glad the Stratus meet's your expectation. What number do you have?

May 9, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #3,264 of 4,464
That's a really nice, clean looking setup you have there. So glad the Stratus meet's your expectation. What number do you have?

Mine is 3X but I sent it back to DNA for an update to the latest specs. It is identical to the current Stratus units made in 2017.

May 22, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #3,266 of 4,464
There are two different types of the Russian Voshod 6n1p that I have found. One has a horizontal getter with two supports. The other is slanted - (slanted or horizontal probably is not relevant, my bad) - with a single support. Both produce good sound but I much prefer the single support. The single support sounds more balanced, more neutral from top to bottom. The dual support getter has more emphasis in the midrange and sounds unnatural to me.

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #3,267 of 4,464
There are two different types of the Russian Voshod 6n1p that I have found. One has a horizontal getter with two supports. The other has a slanted getter with a single support. Both produce good sound but I much prefer the slanted getter with single support. The slanted getter sounds more balanced, more neutral from top to bottom. The horizontal getter has more emphasis on the midrange and sounds unnatural to me.

Like so:

image1_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back