DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 1, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #3,211 of 4,456
I agree with the above. Tubes will sound different in the Stratus but what effect they will have depends on your gear and your music preferences.
I have tried to like the U52 and tested it with all my power and input tubes but I always found it too warm and rolled of in the bass so now it sits in a box. For this reason I am considering the 422A.
For low budget tubes if for whatever reason you don't like the stock ones which are pretty good get a 6BQ7A variant and test it against your 6N1P. I find that the 6BQ7A tubes have the same ballpark sound and the same goes for the 6N1P.
For rectifiers I would say go for a VT244. Any would do from Sylvania,KenRad,National Union etc. and you can get a good deal on them.
For the power tubes I would get a Sylvania 2A3 splate spring or fishing pole(I really liked these on the HD800). They are around 200$ when they pop up and sound really good. The hyper expensive ones will give you the last 5-10% but you should enjoy the Stratus with stock tubes so you can get a feel for how it sounds so when you do upgrade you will have a better idea of how each tube changes the sound.

For the moment, I own a Feliks Audio Elise and Icon Audio HP8 signature edition (upgraded tubes, Jensen caps).
So this rises 2 questions:
1) Which one do I let go when the Stratus arrives? Elise is OTL, HP8 is transformer coupled just like the Stratus... The HP8 offers more transparency though, the Elise more intimacy through a more forward midrange,... Anyone who has experienced those amps first hand?
2) What investment would render the best amp on a limited budget? Buying expensive high end tubes for HP8 or Elise, maxing out their capabilities, or buying a "better amp" with stock tubes (like the Stratus). So in a way, I'm wondering about the best balance between amp cost and tubes cost if it were a one time only buy on a limited budget.

Thx :)

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #3,212 of 4,456
For the moment, I own a Feliks Audio Elise and Icon Audio HP8 signature edition (upgraded tubes, Jensen caps).
1) Which one do I let go when the Stratus arrives? Elise is OTL, HP8 is transformer coupled just like the Stratus... The HP8 offers more transparency though, the Elise more intimacy through a more forward midrange,... Anyone who has experienced those amps first hand?
2) What investment would render the best amp on a limited budget? Buying expensive high end tubes for HP8 or Elise, maxing out their capabilities, or buying a "better amp" with stock tubes (like the Stratus). So in a way, I'm wondering about the best balance between amp cost and tubes cost if it were a one time only buy on a limited budget.

Why don't you listen to all 3 amps when the Stratus arrives and then decide what seems most logical based on what you hear?

Also, several of us have agreed that tube rolling is an expensive, hit-or-miss kind of proposition, which seems inappropriate given your fixed budget.  You could buy expensive, high end tubes for any of the 3 amps but find they are less than satisfactory.  There are no guarantees.

Maybe the best course of action is to force rank the 3 amps and sell the ones that you like the least.  Then hold the funds until you are comfortable that you can afford to upgrade the tubes on whichever amp you keep.

You may find that the Stratus with stock tubes sounds better than both of your current amps, which I believe is a distinct possibility.  In that case, your decision is quite simple.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #3,213 of 4,456

I'd let go of the HP8. The combi of Stratus + Feliks is more versatile. For example, it's quite a treat to roll a HD800 or other high impedance cans (ZMF Originals work too) on the OTL for a different flavour. As for best bang for buck, no doubt, better amp.

OTL tubes can get very expensive, but with your Elise maybe try that EL3N with adaptors that the thread is so crazy about. Not really spendy cos' they're not well-known, but they have a beautiful sweet tone.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #3,223 of 4,456

I would say the HD800S is an inferior headphone than the HD800 so...  I would say there is about as much "synergy" if that is what you are asking and the Stratus, as with the HD800's, makes the Sennheiser's sound about as good as they can.

Stock HD800S is better than stock HD800. Modded HD800 is a different story. I've owned HD800S for over a year, but ended up returning to HD800 with mods. Even with Stratus, I would take a modded HD800 over stock HD800 or HD800S any day.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #3,224 of 4,456

Stock HD800S is better than stock HD800. Modded HD800 is a different story. I've owned HD800S for over a year, but ended up returning to HD800 with mods. Even with Stratus, I would take a modded HD800 over stock HD800 or HD800S any day.

Does anyone supply a pre-made kit for the mods? I've seen the mod on video, but my scissor and gluing class skills are crap....I'd end up screwing it up!

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #3,225 of 4,456
  Does anyone supply a pre-made kit for the mods? I've seen the mod on video, but my scissor and gluing class skills are crap....I'd end up screwing it up!

Share a link for the mod's?

This is a 5Z3PA rectifier.

Look's to be well constructed, but 4 pin's instead of 5. A drop in replacement for the 5U4G according to the article.
Listening this weekend I really liked it's clarity and particularly enjoyed it with Jazz music. It's not a warm sounding tube.

You can read more about it here. http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=2544

Users who are viewing this thread

Back