DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
May 29, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #2,838 of 4,456
Just got mine last week...wait was approx 1 year. A long time, but worth the wait!

Sbb

May 29, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #2,840 of 4,456

Congrats!!  What are you using as a source and headphones? 

I'm using the Musical Paradise MP-D2 dac fed by an Olive one player, and my phones are the Alpha Primes. So far loving the combo....the MP-D2 is exceptionally good....not long released but a game changer in my view. Not only can you tube roll, but you can also roll caps too without any soldering..all  this for a dac!!!

sbb

May 30, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #2,841 of 4,456
I'm torn... Not factoring in any wait time, so purely on sound quality:

Option A: DNA Stratus - hence the location of my cry for help

Option B: http://www.head-fi.org/t/786553/moth-2a3-second-version

Price would be alike. Of course, the Moth is way older... should I be worried about it breaking for some reason? Caps dry out I thought... any other things to keep in mind?

Somebody has any thoughts sound wise? Comparing them side by side would be near to impossible...

Decisions...

May 30, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #2,842 of 4,456
Unless @Sorrodje has his Stratus now and we can set up some mini-meet in France (just dreaming out loud here
beyersmile.png
 )

May 30, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #2,843 of 4,456
The lead time is about a year.

May 30, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #2,844 of 4,456
For those of you looking for a top notch dac to pair with your Stratus (or any other amp for that matter) I can't recommend the Musical Paradise MP-D2 highly enough.....looks pretty sweet too!

May 30, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #2,845 of 4,456
  For those of you looking for a top notch dac to pair with your Stratus (or any other amp for that matter) I can't recommend the Musical Paradise MP-D2 highly enough.....looks pretty sweet too!

Looks nice!  Is that a rectifier tube sticking out of the chassis?

I wonder if there are any thermal issues similar to that of the first version of the Moth 2A3.  Since the tube protrudes out of the chassis, it may not, but the first version of the Moth 2A3 had an internal rectifier tube that was known for killing the capacitors next to it.

May 30, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #2,846 of 4,456

Price would be alike. Of course, the Moth is way older... should I be worried about it breaking for some reason? Caps dry out I thought... any other things to keep in mind?

Somebody has any thoughts sound wise? Comparing them side by side would be near to impossible...

Decisions...

For me it's quite an easy choice. If you're just going for sound then I'd pick the Stratus or a new production Eddie Current if you want to hear what Craig can do these days. If on the other hand you want a unique slice of history (I have a few such headphones, so I understand), then the Moth is really the only choice ain't it?

May 30, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #2,847 of 4,456

Decisions...

Personally, I would avoid a Moth and if I was looking at an EC amp I would go current production.  But first I would figure out of if EC or DNA are right for me, then worry about the model.

But if it was down to a new EC amp or a new Stratus, I think it comes down to signatures and matching that with your preferences.  There is a lot written about both amps and their characteristics but basically, in a really simple nut shell, in grand generalizations, the EC's are going to be  more "solid state" sounding and the DNA is going to be more traditionally "tubey" sounding.  

(But rolling and so on changes things...)

May 31, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #2,850 of 4,456
  @bigfatpaulie , based on your sig, I noticed that you are now a proud owner of the Chord DAVE.

How would you compare its internal headphone amplifier to the Stratus when paired with the HD800?

Well, I just took delivery of the DAVE on the 28th so I guess it is still in its break in phase.  Apparently the DAVE is slow to hit its stride (many say 300+ hours).  I haven't done much critical listening with it yet but from what I've heard thus far the DAVE deserves the hype.  This is an absolutely incredible piece of gear.  It is the ONLY solid state system I've heard that I can plug my HD800's (unmodded) into and actually enjoy them - a lot.  A lot, a lot.

The DAC section is leagues ahead of anything I've heard (MSB Analog, Lampizator, Bricasti M1, and a few others) so comparing the Stratus with any of those DAC's vs the DAVE is moot.  I have always had a bit of a DAC issue - I've changed DAC's more than any other component in my system - the show never quite fit.  The Bricasti was very, very close.  Near perfect infact.  But the DAVE...

The real question will be what does the Stratus sound like with the DAVE behind it vs the DAVE straight out.  I don't have an answer for that...  yet.  I want to get to know the DAVE better (and let it burn in) then add the Stratus to the mix.  I also have a Stellaris on order so that will be interesting to see as well.

What I can say right now, for sure, is that the DAVE straight out leaves nothing to be desired.  It's smooth, fast, detailed (like, you have no idea what "detail" means until you hear this), it's extremely natural sounding.  And the sound stage...  Oh my gosh the sound stage.  I'm gushing, and maybe it's new toy syndrome, but this has been an honest eye opener for me.  The last time I felt this way about a piece of gear was the Stratus.  I hated the HD800's until the Stratus came along.

If these characteristics can be preserved through the Stratus only adding that tube lushness or light bloom that can, we are in very, very good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back