DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
May 21, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2,806 of 4,470
Nice man, have fun!

May 21, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #2,807 of 4,470
Some "accessories" also arrived today 

May 21, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #2,810 of 4,470
I have a question...  I'm sorry if I sound like a newbie but a lot of people are talking about Ken-Rad 2A3's - are these vintage tubes or?  I know the Psvane WR/WR's are replicas but the KR tubes seem to be pretty tough to come by and lot of people seem to have them so I wondering about their source for them.  You can PM with detail if necessary.  Thanks in advance!!

-Paul

May 21, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #2,811 of 4,470
Yes the Ken Rads are vintage tubes. Getting quite expensive and harder to find too. I think you can do better with new tubes now.....KR audio and PSvane....and of course Sophia, EML etc. 

May 21, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #2,812 of 4,470
BTW......I got my KR audio 2a3 tubes from :

http://www.audiophiletubes.com/

Cost was $585 +$17 delivery, which was the best deal I could find anywhere. I was a bit worried after I placed the order as I heard nothing from them....but the tubes showed up today and they are the real deal. The company appear to be located in Russia and Turkey!

If anyone else is considering these tubes, give them a try. They have a lot of nice stuff. 

Stuart

May 21, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #2,814 of 4,470
BTW......I got my KR audio 2a3 tubes from :

http://www.audiophiletubes.com/

Cost was $585 +$17 delivery, which was the best deal I could find anywhere. I was a bit worried after I placed the order as I heard nothing from them....but the tubes showed up today and they are the real deal. The company appear to be located in Russia and Turkey!

If anyone else is considering these tubes, give them a try. They have a lot of nice stuff. 

Stuart

Stuart, how are you liking the KR 2a3 in comparison to stock tubes?

Also, just to make sure there's no confusion,
KR does not mean Ken Rad.
KR audio is a different company

May 21, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #2,816 of 4,470
Stuart, how are you liking the KR 2a3 in comparison to stock tubes?

Also, just to make sure there's no confusion,
KR does not mean Ken Rad.
KR audio is a different company

I only got the stratus today so I'm burning in with the stock tubes for now. I based my decision on KR audio tubes based on other reviews. When I saw the KR audio video on youtube, I was hooked!

Will see how long I hold out before trying them....they look so damn nice!

May 21, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,817 of 4,470
Received my KR audio 2a3 tubes last week. Definitely deserved all the high praise. While the EML solid sound great with my HE-1000 with presence and nice forward mid, the KR 2A3 simply make the Stratus disappear. Music sounds realistic, uncolored, detailed and yet musical. Excellent match with HE1000. I have never heard the Stratus being this transparent.

I also tried the KR tubes with HD800. While it sounded nice and clear, I still prefer HD800 with either Psvane or Shuguang Natural sound tubes which are able to give HD800 a richer tone. With the KR tubes, the HD800 was bit too bland for my liking,not juicy enough.

Unfortunately, the KR audio had a low humming noise and I have since returned to the dealer. Reliability does not seem to be the best as reported earlier, but no regrets getting them.

May 22, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #2,818 of 4,470
Received my KR audio 2a3 tubes last week. Definitely deserved all the high praise. While the EML solid sound great with my HE-1000 with presence and nice forward mid, the KR 2A3 simply make the Stratus disappear. Music sounds realistic, uncolored, detailed and yet musical. Excellent match with HE1000. I have never heard the Stratus being this transparent.

I also tried the KR tubes with HD800. While it sounded nice and clear, I still prefer HD800 with either Psvane or Shuguang Natural sound tubes which are able to give HD800 a richer tone. With the KR tubes, the HD800 was bit too bland for my liking,not juicy enough.

Unfortunately, the KR audio had a low humming noise and I have since returned to the dealer. Reliability does not seem to be the best as reported earlier, but no regrets getting them.

Froger, which Psvane or Shaguang tube/s are you referring to. There are 3 models of 2A3 or equivalent that are on their website. It's either the Psvane TII 2A3, Psvane WR2A3 replica or WE275 2A3 equivalent.

May 22, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #2,819 of 4,470
I am using Psvane WE275 and Shuguang Natural sound.

May 22, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,820 of 4,470
Hell....I'm one impatient soab!!! I couldn't resist....in went the KR audio's, and the U52 rectifier!

All I can say is, not sure if it's the stellar tubes, or just more hrs, but I'm more than happy. Wonderful amp. 

I've been listening to Hiromi's new CD (Spark) which as usual is beautifully recorded and on the Stratus (with these tubes), I feel as though I'm in the studio during the recording. I can hear all the nuances of Simon Philips's tuned kit, Anthony Jackson's contrabass guitar and of course Hiromi's beautiful piano sound. 

I'm not sure of the burn in dynamics for this amp (and the tubes)....but already this is quite impressive to say the least. 

This might be a long night!

sbb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back