DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
May 19, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,791 of 4,464

OK, now I'm sure I like the KRs a little more than the Psvane WR2A3s. The Psvane's are more euphonic, the KRs more natural and realistic. The KRs also seem to have a little more power - I notice I don't need as much volume. 

My understanding is the Psvane replica series, (Wr2a3, WE275) is intended to replicate the euphonic SQ of the Western Electric tubes of the 1930's and the "T II" series is their effort to produce the best, i.e. more linear, SQ.  At least that is what I thought when placing my order, and though I have only had delivery yesterday, what I am hearing to would bear this out. But this is only the beginning of a long burn in. What I am hearing is very promising .  .  . bright with that wonderful tube decay that makes bright shimmer. 

May 19, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #2,792 of 4,464
  My understanding is the Psvane replica series, (Wr2a3, WE275) is intended to replicate the euphonic SQ of the Western Electric tubes of the 1930's and the "T II" series is their effort to produce the best, i.e. more linear, SQ.  At least that is what I thought when placing my order, and though I have only had delivery yesterday, what I am hearing to would bear this out. But this is only the beginning of a long burn in. What I am hearing is very promising .  .  . bright with that wonderful tube decay that makes bright shimmer. 

Which tubes are you listening to?

May 20, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #2,794 of 4,464
My new Stratus is due to arrive tomorrow :smiley:

May 20, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #2,796 of 4,464
Thank you....just got a musical paradise mc-d2 to go with the stratus....I expect greatness. I plan on doing a video review/ preview of the stratus when she arrives!

May 21, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #2,798 of 4,464
Ever since I got into head Fi the WA5 has been my dream amp , the one to get & that was always my plan. But along the way I got a Stratus . Never planned on getting one because of the long wait time but one popped up for sale locally (one in a million chance of that happening) & I couldn't pass it up & it turned out to be the best amp that I have heard till date but the lust for WA5 still remained. A friend  recently got a new WA5 LE (which is the same as old WA5 except no speaker outs) & i went over to his place with the Stratus for a side by side.

I am not good at writing audiophile comparisons & will write only my brief impressions. The HP's that we tried with them were HD800S, LCD X, XC, Hifiman Ed X, HE 6, Ether C, TH 900, The WA5 LE was running upgraded Sophia Princess tubes, the Stratus was running EML 5U4G + Shuguang 2A3C-T  Natural Sound. After 45 mins of back & forth between both amps using all the above HP's me & my friend concluded that they sound so close to each other that we will not be able to tell a difference in a blind test. Maybe DNA has more sound stage depth, maybe WA5 LE has bit more bass extension but we are talking about less than 5% differences here. HE 6 was the only HP that sounds better on the WA 5 than the Stratus, the Stratus cannot drive them as well as WA 5. In the end I walked away extremely happy that my WA 5 lust has finally been cured.

May 21, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #2,799 of 4,464
Ever since I got into head Fi the WA5 has been my dream amp , the one to get & that was always my plan. But along the way I got a Stratus . Never planned on getting one because of the long wait time but one popped up for sale locally (one in a million chance of that happening) & I couldn't pass it up & it turned out to be the best amp that I have heard till date but the lust for WA5 still remained. A friend  recently got a new WA5 LE (which is the same as old WA5 except no speaker outs) & i went over to his place with the Stratus for a side by side.

I am not good at writing audiophile comparisons & will write only my brief impressions. The HP's that we tried with them were HD800S, LCD X, XC, Hifiman Ed X, HE 6, Ether C, TH 900, The WA5 LE was running upgraded Sophia Princess tubes, the Stratus was running EML 5U4G + Shuguang 2A3C-T  Natural Sound. After 45 mins of back & forth between both amps using all the above HP's me & my friend concluded that they sound so close to each other that we will not be able to tell a difference in a blind test. Maybe DNA has more sound stage depth, maybe WA5 LE has bit more bass extension but we are talking about less than 5% differences here. HE 6 was the only HP that sounds better on the WA 5 than the Stratus, the Stratus cannot drive them as well as WA 5. In the end I walked away extremely happy that my WA 5 lust has finally been cured.

Your upcoming Glenn amp may well blow these two out of the way...

May 21, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #2,801 of 4,464
Throw some upgraded tubes into the Stratus and watch it soar.

May 21, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #2,803 of 4,464
Throw some upgraded tubes into the Stratus and watch it soar.

I'd actually have my doubts that it would make a difference in this test case. With a sample of headphones that vast especially in a 45 min time frame, the brain may get confused with each headphone's individual sound signature long before the tubes actually made a large enough difference. Not saying tube rolling doesn't make a difference, just saying that the in this situation with all of the varying headphones, there are so many different sound signatures that the brain is already being overloaded with differences.

Even with just a single headphone, too much tube rolling in one sitting would cause me to begin to think everything sounded the same.

May 21, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #2,804 of 4,464
No 53 arrived today:smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back