DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Apr 28, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #2,746 of 4,456
I don't really like Mrspeakser Alpha dog and ZMF Vibro II with the Stratus. Too warm and muffled. They sound a lot clearer on my Mini Torii amp.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #2,748 of 4,456
Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do own a pair of first generation LCD-2s, but they are just too dark for me and sound quite different than the pair I auditioned at a show with an early Cavelli hybrid amp, where the darkness was not overly apparent. 

I just can't imagine switching out my AVVT tubes.  I do have a number of different 5U4G, VT244, 5U4GB (for other amps/preamps, as well), as well as some RCA 2A3 dual plates (which do make the Stratus sound warmer) and since I am now retired, I may audition some other flagship headphones on my rig to further test your conclusion.  (I have access to the current line of HiFiMan headphones).

I didn't like the sound of the LCD-2 fazor out of the Stratus regardless of tube choice and switch settings.  I tried the EML Mesh, Shuguang Natural Sounds, Shuguang 2A3B(stock), AVVT Solids, RCA Monoplate, and AVVT Mesh with them and all sorts of combinations of rectifiers and input tubes.  To begin with, I'm not really a fan of the LCD-2 sound in general, but I don't think the Stratus "brought it to a new level", as many of the rave reviews say.

The Stratus, IMO, definitely doesn't follow the one tube to rule them all convention when it comes to 2A3s, as different combinations of tubes often suit each individual headphone better.  From my listening, the closest tube I've found that fits this convention is the KR Audio 2A3.

The TH-X00 is actually surprisingly tube dependent on the Stratus.  With the AVVT Solids, it sounds flat, muffled, and lifeless.  With the AVVT Mesh, they're dynamic, energetic, and spacious... my favorite pairing for this headphone and the best out of my amps.

On the flip side, The AVVT Solid Plates sound substantially better with the HD800 than the AVVT Mesh Plates.  The Mesh Plates push the mid-range further back, so this may be causing the veiled effect.  I didn't quite find them peaky, but that may be due to many variables (source, recordings, different input tube, differences in HD800, ears).

Finally, for the hour or so that I was able to experiment with the HE-1000 at a meet, the RCA Monoplates were a fantastic pairing, while the Shuguang Natural Sounds were good, but not as great.  Wish I had an opportunity to try em out with the AVVT and KR power tubes.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #2,749 of 4,456
  I didn't like the sound of the LCD-2 fazor out of the Stratus regardless of tube choice and switch settings.  I tried the EML Mesh, Shuguang Natural Sounds, Shuguang 2A3B(stock), AVVT Solids, RCA Monoplate, and AVVT Mesh with them and all sorts of combinations of rectifiers and input tubes.  To begin with, I'm not really a fan of the LCD-2 sound in general, but I don't think the Stratus "brought it to a new level", as many of the rave reviews say.

The Stratus, IMO, definitely doesn't follow the one tube to rule them all convention when it comes to 2A3s, as different combinations of tubes often suit each individual headphone better.  From my listening, the closest tube I've found that fits this convention is the KR Audio 2A3.

The TH-X00 is actually surprisingly tube dependent on the Stratus.  With the AVVT Solids, it sounds flat, muffled, and lifeless.  With the AVVT Mesh, they're dynamic, energetic, and spacious... my favorite pairing for this headphone and the best out of my amps.

On the flip side, The AVVT Solid Plates sound substantially better with the HD800 than the AVVT Mesh Plates.  The Mesh Plates push the mid-range further back, so this may be causing the veiled effect.  I didn't quite find them peaky, but that may be due to many variables (source, recordings, different input tube, differences in HD800, ears).

Finally, for the hour or so that I was able to experiment with the HE-1000 at a meet, the RCA Monoplates were a fantastic pairing, while the Shuguang Natural Sounds were good, but not as great.  Wish I had an opportunity to try em out with the AVVT and KR power tubes.

Very useful information.  I have the AVVT meshplates!  I have just gotten some HE400i to audition at home My Audio Note dealer did not have the HE560.

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2,750 of 4,456
Just ordered a pair of KR 2A3s. A LOT of money but I expect to sell my EML Meshplates if these sound better.

On another subject - how loud do you guys listen to music on your headphones. I find that newer stuff that has been digitally recorded and mastered hot, I am usually at 2 or 3 on the Stratus dial (LCD3 hps using 4 pin balanced cable). On some less compressed older recordings that were originally on vinyl I may need to crank up to 5. Just curious about others listening habits. 

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #2,751 of 4,456
I suspect I listen the lowest of anyone here. 1/2 to 1. My music is in full bloom without any distortion (except the good kind). I doubt anyone will believe me but it's actually a bigger sound (compared to other cables) with the Audioquest Diamond usb cable. Spacious, no lack of detail, and total clarity. Maybe it's a matter of taste, or it's just what I'm used to. Either way I'm saving my hearing for latter days.

popcorn.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #2,752 of 4,456
I get to 1.75 with my HE-6, but a lot of cans are under 1 on the volume dial. It's not even that my DAC is super hot, the SE outs are only 2V max. Anyway, I definitely feel the effects of the loudness war with more modern recordings, but it's not a huge issue because I tend to pair the stratus with Classical stuff and my HD800's. It's all about the sweet, sweet mids for me.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #2,753 of 4,456
Experiences with 6 headphone amps, the HD650 and HE400i

If you look at my audio inventory, I have 2 headphone amps, 2 power amps, 2 prs monoblocks + a headphone adapter that can turn the 4 speaker amps into headphone amps.  My plan this weekend was to see if these two headphones sounded differently from each other on each of these amps.  This morning i played a number of tunes through the two cans on 2 amplifiers, the Stratus and the 0.8W Darling using 1626 tubes.  Both are SET amps. So, I have effectively 6 headphone amps.

My hearing is suspect, esp. in the upper ranges, where i did hear some minor differences, but overall these two sets of headphones did not sound dramatically different. The HE cans seem to bring just a little bit more neutrality to the table than the HD cans, but their high treble (where my hearing is weakest) was a bit too forward for me and the notes juts didn't sound right compared to the HDs.  Bass is not an issue for me, but they seem about the same to me, sometimes I gave a slight edge to the HD cans which, were a bit tighter than HEs on most (but not all) recordings.  The mid-range of both is glorious to my ears, with the HDs having slight emotional edge (I think a like "pretty balanced" with a little coloration after all).  Other differences (if they exist) were imperceptible to me.

For me, then, buying a pair of the HEs would entail an additional cost of $725+ in Denmark due to 25% VAT + higher markups + shipping.

Which of the two amps did i like best?  Both of them: the Stratus and the Darling with the 1626 tube.  It has to do with the power tubes. The presentation of the 1626 seems a bit better balanced, but is not as smooth as the 2A3.  If you see a used Darling headphone amp for sale, it shouldn't cost much.  As a speaker amp, you'll need pretty sensitive speakers, but you can always use an attenuating adapter as i did to turn it into a headphone amp.

I'm not going to add any more to this, as I already know my 45 monos are my favorite speaker and headphone amp (with adapter).  I doubt I'll hear much difference between the HE and HD.

My bad ears conclusion: the HE400i is (for people in the US) only a slightly more costly HD650, at least on the Stratus, but I also think that conclusion is more robust, given my comparisons between speaker amps with adapters and headphone amps.  The HD650s are very robust based on past experience, as well.

If you want to hear differences, go with SS headphone amps transistor (mosfet, jfet, bipolar) output stages.  They leave me brain dead, they are so forward.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #2,754 of 4,456
Here's a picture of what i have been using in the above post.  I decided to use my MacBook Pro + Wavelength Proton Dac (top) as the digital source in lieu of my Audio Note (UK)  CDP (next down). It was just much simpler to select tunes from my library. (I also was using Audiovarna).The shelf below it contains the Darling amplifier; the shelf below it my preamp, a deHavilland UV3, used to feed the two power amps, and the shelf below it my Audio Note 300B amp (with ELROG tubes).  The Stratus is plainly visible on the right with the HD650s and HE400is propped up in front of it.  The black thing in front of my rack is the headphone adapter, which is connected to the 300B amp.  The speaker cables for the Darling are dangling down on either side of my rack.  I had to exchange cables to the adapter to play each power amp, while the Stratus was on all the time, taking the signal from the Dac, passed through the tape-in/out of the preamp, to it. Ah, the house fan!  It's on a rheostat and cools the 300B 

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #2,755 of 4,456
I have also found a niche for my LDC-2s on the Stratus (as well as on my SET speaker amps + headphone adapters):  Bruckner, Mahler and Sibelius symphonies, esp Brucker.  They bring out the majesty of his symphonies very well.

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,757 of 4,456
Made by Tonian Acoustics in LA.  They are 97 dB sensitive, an 8 Ohm + load, full range speaker with a cross over to a ribbon tweeter = lot's of energy and very dynamic.  The cross over + tweeter make for a much better treble than the full range driver can deliver.  Bass is controlled by removable baffle plates in the back - 4 of them - for more/less middle bass.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #2,758 of 4,456
  Made by Tonian Acoustics in LA.  They are 97 dB sensitive, an 8 Ohm + load, full range speaker with a cross over to a ribbon tweeter = lot's of energy and very dynamic.  The cross over + tweeter make for a much better treble than the full range driver can deliver.  Bass is controlled by removable baffle plates in the back - 4 of them - for more/less middle bass.

Nice.

May 6, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #2,759 of 4,456
KR 2A3 tubes - I just rec'd and only have a few hours or less on them. They sound very nice and much like described by others. They seem to have a little stronger bass than any of my other tubes and very dynamic. For nearly the same price as the EML meshplates, I prefer the KR tubes and may sell my EMLs. BUT - these tubes are waaaay microphonic. Unlike any I've ever experienced. Just a slight tap on the Stratus chassis or even fumbling with a switch or volume knob sets them off sounding like an echo chamber. This seems unusual to me. I'm curious if others with these tubes have experienced the same thing. 

May 6, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #2,760 of 4,456
  KR 2A3 tubes - I just rec'd and only have a few hours or less on them. They sound very nice and much like described by others. They seem to have a little stronger bass than any of my other tubes and very dynamic. For nearly the same price as the EML meshplates, I prefer the KR tubes and may sell my EMLs. BUT - these tubes are waaaay microphonic. Unlike any I've ever experienced. Just a slight tap on the Stratus chassis or even fumbling with a switch or volume knob sets them off sounding like an echo chamber. This seems unusual to me. I'm curious if others with these tubes have experienced the same thing. 

They can be, but it depends on the amplifier too. With my EC 2A3 if I was tapping the case I would get an echo from the KR (and some other tube makes too). With the EC Studio, I am not getting this at all. This is using the same pair of KR with both.

Obviously unless someone has a hobby of tapping the case while listening this is not an issue during normal use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back