DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 3, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #2,626 of 4,456
After much listening tonight, I've come to the realization that the driver tube will not save me from the EML meshes. They just don't imbue the instruments with enough body for my tastes, and I don't think adding warmth with the driver tubes will bring about what I need. As a result these puppies are up for sale in the classifieds. Sad to see them go. Now, anyone willing to part with a pair of EML 2A3 solids?

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,627 of 4,456
That's a great price for them!  I'm keeping my pair just in case I ever get the Audeze itch again.  Even though I vowed that I would never buy another pair of Audeze headphones due to comfort issues, it would be the 8th time...

I agree, I think the 2A3s have the largest impact on the sound, followed by the rectifier, and then the driver.
Did you find that the EML 5U4G you have shown in the picture helped any?

Unless you're hell-bent on going with the solids, the Shuguang Natural Treasures (2A3C-T) are a great pair of 2A3s with more body and weight over the EMLs and stock.  
Tube rolling on the Stratus is fun but difficult considering the price of 2A3 tubes!

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2,628 of 4,456
I'll be holding on to the EML 5Au4G for now because it does wonders for genres like Reggae and Rap, and for now I don't foresee any other tube beating it on sheer impact, and bass. Its treble leaves a little bit to be desired though, so it's not my go to rectifier (thus far).

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #2,629 of 4,456
i really want to buy this amp and i think its the best amp choice for hd800 if you want 3d soundstage little wet musical realistic sound
but all this tubes give me confusion, all this tubes replcments cost a lot of money the amp itself is really expensive.

i want suggestion if i buy this amp what will be the best combo for hd800 sound i ask this people that also did tubes rollup.
strange that i didnt see hear suggestions for sophia princess i thought it the best but very exspen$ive...

so what is the best combo for

6N1P input/driver tube
2A3 two tubes
5U4G rectifier tube

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #2,630 of 4,456
  I had similar findings with the EML Mesh 2A3 tubes.  I find that with the Stratus, tube pairing is extremely important when it comes to finding OK synergy vs. amazing synergy.  Surprisingly, some cheaper rectifiers pair very well with the stock 2A3s, Shuguang Nature Sounds, and EML Meshies on the Stratus.  Ever thought of giving NOS rectifiers a shot?  The RCA 5U4GB rectifiers are very cheap, but I find that it pairs very well with the Shuguang Nature Sounds in my Stratus.  I haven't found an amazing pairing with the EMLs yet, but I also don't have planar magnetic headphones to test out my pairings with, so your findings may differ from mine.

@Frihed89 , I just put in an order for the Mazda 6BQ7A. Unfortunately, it only seems to be available from a guy in France, and so will take a while to get here. Could please give more feedback on how it bests any of the following 6BQ7As, if you've heard them: RCA, Sylvania, and Westinghouse. I have those three inbound due to suggestions from @drheadphone . I'm very reluctant to let go of the EML meshes for the EML solids because I doubt they can deliver some of the magic I get with them. Also, the Marconi U52 has grown into its own, and its transparency and mid-range quality is extraordinary. My only gripe is the overall tonality which is still dominated by the EML meshes. They're just like a wife, I guess, can't live with them, cant live without them.

I switched over to the stock driver tube, and the sound warmed up a bit, and the highs are less shrill. Ultimately, I'm looking to inject some more warmth yet still maintain clarity using the driver tube. Research on this thread informs me that the 6BQ7A are warmer and less icy compared to the Russian variants of which I have 3 - and they are all way more tipped up and etched than the stock tube. I am 90% up to where I want the sound to be, and I really hope one of the incoming driver tubes puts the cherry on top of everything. 

I have a RSA Elgar power conditioner coming in today, and I anticipate it will take away some of the glare and charged air the EML meshes hint at. Alternatively, it may do the opposite and cause things to go completely haywire. Oh, how I love this madness........

I made my comparisons quite a while ago.  I don't ever remember trying a Westinghouse tube.  I tried several labeled Sylvania, one with a square getter on top, the other was conventional with a round getter on top.  All i remember is that the older tube with the top square getter was warmer and not very detailed.  Who know why, as most of these come used.  Of the many I tried, I also liked the Brimar, which was in a new box.  My ears/brain may not match yours, so you really have to do your own comparisons.  That is a constant in this hobby.  Good luck.

Power conditiners, shmower conitioners...get a decent cable.  One that isn't too costly that I like is the Gronberg Quatro Reference.  They are distributed in the US by Klaus at Odyssey Audio.  It is transparent.  

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #2,631 of 4,456
  I'll be holding on to the EML 5Au4G for now because it does wonders for genres like Reggae and Rap, and for now I don't foresee any other tube beating it on sheer impact, and bass. Its treble leaves a little bit to be desired though, so it's not my go to rectifier (thus far).

We all hear differently and prefer different sound signatures so our written experiences have to be considered in that light. But, have you considered the Psvane WE275 power tubes? To my ears, listening through LCD3s, they sound similar to Shuguang Nature Sound (also a nice full sounding/warm tube) but a little softer in some of the higher frequencies. My first impression of those tubes was their smoothness. 

And it occurs to me that your primary source, your DAC, is probably playing a significant role in the overall sound you hear from your Stratus. You may not be able to get just what you are looking for by rolling tubes alone.

I haven't read all your past posts so, please excuse me if you have already explored these possibilities.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #2,632 of 4,456

We all hear differently and prefer different sound signatures so our written experiences have to be considered in that light. But, have you considered the Psvane WE275 power tubes? To my ears, listening through LCD3s, they sound similar to Shuguang Nature Sound (also a nice full sounding/warm tube) but a little softer in some of the higher frequencies. My first impression of those tubes was their smoothness. 

And it occurs to me that your primary source, your DAC, is probably playing a significant role in the overall sound you hear from your Stratus. You may not be able to get just what you are looking for by rolling tubes alone.

I haven't read all your past posts so, please excuse me if you have already explored these possibilities.

I've avoided the Psvanes because I remember reading there were some reliability issues with them. If not, I'll look into them. Would you characterize them as having a more pronounced midrange?

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #2,633 of 4,456

I made my comparisons quite a while ago.  I don't ever remember trying a Westinghouse tube.  I tried several labeled Sylvania, one with a square getter on top, the other was conventional with a round getter on top.  All i remember is that the older tube with the top square getter was warmer and not very detailed.  Who know why, as most of these come used.  Of the many I tried, I also liked the Brimar, which was in a new box.  My ears/brain may not match yours, so you really have to do your own comparisons.  That is a constant in this hobby.  Good luck.

Power conditiners, shmower conitioners...get a decent cable.  One that isn't too costly that I like is the Gronberg Quatro Reference.  They are distributed in the US by Klaus at Odyssey Audio.  It is transparent.  

Thanks for the insight. It's turning out to be a fun ride. The transparency of the Stratus makes changes shine through like no other. I'll be receiving the three mentioned driver tubes early next week and I'll be sure to post my findings.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #2,634 of 4,456

This is true. Are you using the Stratus with the Yggy?

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #2,635 of 4,456
Currently using the Gumby, my plan is to get the Yggy next month though.  The Gumby is a tad warmer than the Yggy to my recollection. A buddy of mine has the Yggy and I've given it many listens. I'm positive I an attain the sound I want via tube selection. I am currently using the Marconi U52 and the stock power tubes, and all is well with that setup - aside from the lack of transparency, resolution, soundstaging etc. I am having no treble issues. The key for me is to have a tube pairing with less amounts of warmth and smearing than the stock power tubes, as well as better see-throughness and delicacy. Based on reading through this entire thread multiple times and feedback from its esteemed members, I will be looking into the EML solids, Psvane WE275, and I may even take a gander at the RCA monoplates.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,636 of 4,456
  I've avoided the Psvanes because I remember reading there were some reliability issues with them. If not, I'll look into them. Would you characterize them as having a more pronounced midrange?

I have been the loudest voice of complaint for Psvane WR2A3s but have not had similar problems with the WE275s and I think I should have by now (he said crossing his fingers worrying he hadn't just jinxed good fortune).

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #2,638 of 4,456
I had some tubes come in yesterday that are redefining my thoughts on this amp.I'm slowly getting it fellas, slowly........

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #2,639 of 4,456
I've been all smiles this past weekend, and I can definitely say the system has come together nicely. I managed to snag a pair of rebranded (Tungsol and National Union) RCA 2A3 monoplate power tubes. I've always felt the HE1K had mids that were quite recessed, and these tubes bring the midrange to the fore in the most beguiling way. I also experimented with some NOS RCA, Westinghouse, and Sylvania 6BQ7A drivers. So far the Westinghouse seems to provide the smoother, yet more transparent and resolving sound of the three. I have a Mazda 6BQ7A coming in sometime next week, and I will pit that against the Westinghouse. Thus far the 6N1Ps have been a disaster within the synergy of my system. They tend to be too harsh and glassy in the high registers, and seem to always deposit an unnatural sheen to the entire spectrum. I've tried four variants and I had the same complaint to varying degrees of all of them.

RCA 2A3 monoplate

The little champ Westinghouse.

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #2,640 of 4,456
Wow, monos are really hard to find these days. And it often comes with a not so nice price tag... I hope you gotta good deal, but I'm sure they are worth quite a lot! Most feedbacks are "ground breaking".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back