DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Nov 27, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #2,492 of 4,456
I have not heard the LCD 4, but I love HE-1000 with the Stratus + EML mesh 2A3, preferring the HE1000 over the HD800.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #2,493 of 4,456
I have not heard the LCD 4, but I love HE-1000 with the Stratus + EML mesh 2A3, preferring the HE1000 over the HD800.

Woah woah woah.  That's crazy talk!!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #2,495 of 4,456
Yeah, same here with globe TJ Full Music 2a3/SE and U52 rectifier combo. I hardly listened to hd800 currently.

Listened to fresh lcd4 at store using wa5, but still prefer he1k. Maybe it need more burn-in

Problem may have been the wa5. Personally not a fan with Audeze.

BUT I do love my LCD-XC on the Stratus. And yes - with the EML meshplates and U52 rectifier. Sublime.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #2,496 of 4,456
I pulled the trigger on the Stratus. I have along wait ahead but compared to the LH Infinity this should be a piece of cake. 
Already started hunting tubes. So far I have Gec U52, KenRad VT244, Novosibirsk 62 6N1P, Sylvania,Siemens,CBS 6BQ7A. The 2A3 are harder to find so might go with the EML mesh for the HE1000.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #2,497 of 4,456
'grats.. Ordered mine in May 2015 and I'm still waiting. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #2,498 of 4,456
The Stratus certainly is worth waiting for. It may be the last amp you ever buy. For 2A3's I really like the Psvane WE275's. They're everything Frogger said they were. Since I put them in I have had no desire to use any of my other 2A3's. Not that I didn't try with the 274B as rectifier. In my opinion they bring the Stratus up another level or two.

As far as rectifier's, I like the EML because there is more bass. It has great presence in that vocals sound more alive and real. I also like the 274B but so far it's a different animal. Softer, ultra smooth, precise, and fast. String sections in particular sound the best I have heard. But, I only have a few hour's on it so I know there will be further changes.

Hopefully one day I will get to try a U52 as well. Today I'm extremely happy with what I have. :)

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #2,499 of 4,456
Congrats on the purchase! I ordered mine back in June and was told mid-January for delivery, but suspect this will slip a bit.

I didn't really mind the wait, as it's given me time to:-

find the money to pay for it!
Do some research on upgrade tubes and start buying a few.

I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

Stuart

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #2,500 of 4,456
Another vote for the Psvane WE275s as sub for 2A3. I have LCD3s so already a little soft in the top end so, at first I thought they were almost too lush and didn't think I really liked them. But, over time they opened up, particularly on the top end and they have a very rich sound that is almost addictive. I suspect that would be even more noticeable on more detailed HPs like HD800 and HE1000. The 275s should be on your list. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #2,501 of 4,456
  Another vote for the Psvane WE275s as sub for 2A3. I have LCD3s so already a little soft in the top end so, at first I thought they were almost too lush and didn't think I really liked them. But, over time they opened up, particularly on the top end and they have a very rich sound that is almost addictive. I suspect that would be even more noticeable on more detailed HPs like HD800 and HE1000. The 275s should be on your list. 

Yes, I should have said so before. Using the HD800's, and they're addictive alright. The tube's I mean.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,502 of 4,456
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but is the 6BK7B tube by RCA a suitable driver tube replacement for the Stratus. I have 2 and don't remember why I bought them!

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #2,503 of 4,456
I have my Status coming shortly (hopefully!)

I currently have the Alpha Prime headphones and really like them with my Cavali liquid Carbon. I am wondering though, what I'll do when I get the Stratus. Of course, I'll see how the Prime's do, but I'm already thinking a headphone upgrade might be in order. 

I was initially thinking about the Mr speakers Ether, but there is so much love for the HD-800 here, especially with the Stratus, I'm wondering what the best option might be. 

My musical tastes are changing ( as I get older!) I'm a rock, fusion/jazz kind of listener, but more recently I'm getting really into classical music....especially Bartok and Vaughan Williams. I think this really changes the remit quite a bit. 

I have the senheisser hd-598's, which were my first headphones and in some ways I think they actually better the Prime's for classical music. I don't know if this is just because they are open (open better for classical?), but at they were less than $150 and only 1/10th of the price of the hd-800's, I suspect the hd-800's may be pretty special.

So, if it were a choice between the Ether's and the HD-800, what would work best with the Stratus?

I've invested quite a bit in cables for the Primes, which are transferrable to the Ether's, so this is a consideration.

I'd be really interested if anyone has a direct comparison between the Ether's and the HD-800's on the Stratus.

I'm hoping to go to Canjam 2016, so hopefully I'll get the chance to hear both, but any initial thoughts would be welcome.

Many thanks!

stuart

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #2,504 of 4,456
Guys, I'm coming to the end of my long search for a final system. After scouring CanJam 2015 and RMAF 2015, the Yggdrasil and the HE1K have been decided upon. I have never gotten to hear a Stratus despite my best efforts. I live in Minneapolis, MN, and was hoping I could get to share an audition on one of you guy's systems, if you do live close by, once my HE1K arrives.

Some of you were gracious enough to humor me months ago when I requested impressions of the HE1K with the Stratus. However, I'd like to hear how those impressions have evolved. Are you still enamored by the combo? What DACs are you using? Which tubes make them sing, and add that oomph to overcome their politeness?

Finally, what is the process of ordering the Stratus, and is 6 months the normal ETA frame?

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #2,505 of 4,456
6 months was the quote i got, but Donald has been verybusy with his day job. Expect it to take longer than originally quoted, but less than a BHSE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back