DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Oct 8, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #2,446 of 4,456
  Does anyone have a source for the Pearl Reflektor 6N1P-EV?

Here is a link to the Pearl company and on their website is a list of dealers. Here is a link: http://www.pearl-hifi.com.

I am thinking of contacting them to see if I can send them some Novosibirsk 6N1Ps to cryo treat. I have been told these are the makers of the Reflektor tubes. Both tubes are available on eBay but not cryo versions. 

By the way, the Novosibirsk and Reflektor tubes are the best sounding in my set-up (LCD3 hp, U52, either Shuguang Nature Sound or EML mesh 2A3s)

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #2,447 of 4,456

Here is a link to the Pearl company and on their website is a list of dealers. Here is a link: http://www.pearl-hifi.com.

I am thinking of contacting them to see if I can send them some Novosibirsk 6N1Ps to cryo treat. I have been told these are the makers of the Reflektor tubes. Both tubes are available on eBay but not cryo versions. 

By the way, the Novosibirsk and Reflektor tubes are the best sounding in my set-up (LCD3 hp, U52, either Shuguang Nature Sound or EML mesh 2A3s)

Thank you for the link. I'm sure some one does the cryo treat. Please post when you find them.

Also, Does anyone know what kind of 6N1P comes with the Stratus?

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #2,448 of 4,456

Ruby Tiger - I did find several companies that do cryo treatment on audio gear including tubes. But, before spending time selecting a company to send tubes to, I spent last evening listening to different 6N1Ps in my Stratus (Vokshod Cryopearl, Reflector Cyropearl, Novosibirsk box plate [interesting tube] and the stock Sovtek 6N1P. The winner was not the Reflektor CryPearl but rather a NOS 60's Novosibirsk 6N1P NEVZ tube I got on eBay from electric_brilliance_llc. He is in Ukraine and seems to know a lot of the history of different Soviet tube manufacturers. You may want to give one a try. I should also warn you that on a few occasions I have purchased so called Reflektor tubes that look identical to Vokshod tubes and sound like Vokshod tubes. The Reflektor tubes, incidentally, look exactly like the Novosibirsk tubes I have and, according to the eBay seller, they were probably made in the Novosibirsk factory.

And, everytime, in the past I have tried a different tube than the Reflector Crypearl, I quickly pull it and put the Reflektor back in. But not last night. 

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #2,449 of 4,456
Jeez, let me put a disclaimer on this.

It may turn out it's just an ordinary tube; not inherit to magical properties. If so I sincerely apologize to anyone who has placed an order because of what I have written here.

I wanted to evaluate it further but I have began breaking in my new Shuguang Naturals. And for them I have chosen a different tube. A Voshod. Also, swapping tubes in and out is time consuming and the RCA being a 'nos'; I don't want the source to dry up before 'someone else' get's to try them. It's a black-plate 6BQ7A of which there are many (black plates).

On Ebay they were listed as 6BQ7A=6BZ7. Medium Mu Dual Triode (?). Made in 1963. There's more descriptive terms of it's expected performance characteristic's on the link below.

My tube setup was an EML5U4G, and Sophia's 2A3's with the RCA being brand new.

After a bit of warming I chose 'Session from the 17th Ward by Amber Rubarth.' I sure was not expecting what I heard. There was this inky blackness that swallowed everything deep stage. Everything took on a more solid, holographic 3 dimensionality.  I heard a real, living person's voice and it was all so stunning. As I listened to song after song my foot wouldn't stay still. Jeez, my whole body wouldn't stay still.

I tried to understand what I was hearing and how I could describe it. Word's that would describe a sense of being there and feeling like a real part of what was happening ... hand claps, finger snaps, a mouse zigzagging as it ran for it's dear life across the stage.. (just kidding). I love the midrange on the Sophia's. So you are there!

Here's a picture of the valve and a link. I don't know this site in particular other than they list tubes for sale on Ebay. Which is where I found them. I have ordered a spare tube from them and it has arrived safe and sound. Until I can spend more time with it .. happy listening.

https://www.tubemuseum.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RCA-6BQ7A

Edit: I have revisited this post after some further review. The RCA 6BQ7A changed toward the bright side with the Shuguang Naturals. And I feel the Sophia's to be less extended in the high's compared to the Naturals. But since my Sophia's are now messed up (microphonic) I will have to wait until some other Sophia owner gives it a shot. Who knows? It could still turn out to be a winner.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #2,450 of 4,456
Here to report on my Psvane WE275 and WE274B with HD800. Simply the best combi of tubes I have heard so far on the Stratus with HD800. Rich and musical and yet maintain the technicalities of HD800. It is really quite an experience. Both tubes have held up well after more than 300 hours. Hopefully many more hours.

Also received my HE-1000 two weeks ago. For those who enjoy HE-560 on the Stratus, you will love HE-1000. Like all the planar headphones I have used so far with Stratus, HE-1000 sounds the best to me with the EML mesh 2A3. I also prefer the Ken Rad CKR rectifier over the Psvane with the HE-1000. While HD800 still sounds more detailed and has better imaging and sharpness, HE-1000 musicality trumps HD800 easily with its liquid voicing. To me, HD800 amazes and dazzles with an exciting performance, while HE-1000 just sucks you into the music with its emotional portrayal. Both are wonderful headphones on the Stratus, just offering different experiences. Given my preferred genre is still vocal pop, I will lean towards HE-1000 at the moment.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #2,451 of 4,456
Here to report on my Psvane WE275 and WE274B with HD800. Simply the best combi of tubes I have heard so far on the Stratus with HD800. Rich and musical and yet maintain the technicalities of HD800. It is really quite an experience. Both tubes have held up well after more than 300 hours. Hopefully many more hours.

Also received my HE-1000 two weeks ago. For those who enjoy HE-560 on the Stratus, you will love HE-1000. Like all the planar headphones I have used so far with Stratus, HE-1000 sounds the best to me with the EML mesh 2A3. I also prefer the Ken Rad CKR rectifier over the Psvane with the HE-1000. While HD800 still sounds more detailed and has better imaging and sharpness, HE-1000 musicality trumps HD800 easily with its liquid voicing. To me, HD800 amazes and dazzles with an exciting performance, while HE-1000 just sucks you into the music with its emotional portrayal. Both are wonderful headphones on the Stratus, just offering different experiences. Given my preferred genre is still vocal pop, I will lean towards HE-1000 at the moment.

Thank you very much, froger. I value your opinion on these Psvane tubes, especially when well-burned-in. Well-written, too.

Could you please share your comments on each type alone? In other words, how do the WE275 tubes sound on the HD800 with the CKR rectifier?

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #2,452 of 4,456

Thank you very much, froger. I value your opinion on these Psvane tubes, especially when well-burned-in. Well-written, too.

Could you please share your comments on each type alone? In other words, how do the WE275 tubes sound on the HD800 with the CKR rectifier? 

WE275 with CKR rectifier is a very nice pairing, as the Ken rad CKR is very detailed, clean and engaging. The Psvane WE275 and 274B share similar traits as being able to offer a rich musical sound and yet maintain the details. I think that is the reason why both benefit HD800 so much, making HD800 a more involving headphone and yet retaining its strength. Although Donald has commented that the WE274B tube may not be robust enough for the Stratus, it will not damage the Stratus. To me, while the rectifier is not that cheap, its cost to improvement ratio far outweighs my other components in the chain. Granted the 274B tube may not last as long as other rectifiers in the Stratus, I still think it is a worthwhile addition.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #2,453 of 4,456
OK, I will finally place my order for the WE275 now.

I tried 3 pairs of their WR2A3, but I had to return all because they were noisy, so I've been cautious.

Thanks again, froger.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #2,454 of 4,456
  OK, I will finally place my order for the WE275 now.

I tried 3 pairs of their WR2A3, but I had to return all because they were noisy, so I've been cautious.

Thanks again, froger.

Finally, someone who has had the same experience with the WR2A3s as I have. I still have a pair and over the weekend I let them 'warm-up' for 6 hours (maybe more) before listening. They were quiet. I turned amp off to switch out rectifier, turned right back on and one got noisy. I repeated this the next day - long warm-up - quiet tubes. Turned off for a few minutes and turned back on - the other tube got noisy.

I THINK the solution with these tubes might be that they need a long time to warm up and stabilize. I will continue my experiment and share results. They are great sounding tubes. I will be curious to hear your thoughts on how the WE275s sound in comparison.

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2,455 of 4,456
What 2A3 tube do you guys think sound best with the HD800?

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #2,459 of 4,456
  I concur.  Sophia Princess Meshplates.

Thinking about coming back to the Status?

No, I'm happy with my current amp. It uses 2A3 tubes as well and I'm looking to do a little rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back