DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jul 15, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #2,360 of 4,456
The two-cable Complement from Double Helix that I use with my HD800+Stratus is wonderfully transparent and rich. But, of course, it is bulky and can be a handful.

I will definitely look into this recommendation.

Thank you, All

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #2,362 of 4,456
  The Norne Draug 2 + New HD800's = Perfection.

That's been a popular combination at meets when I bring it. It was definitely worth the extra cash when I got it bundled with my HD 800 in a classified.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #2,363 of 4,456

I would have preferred balanced inputs to the Stratus.  That would let me A-B amps from the same DAC & output easily.  Plus, when you pay for a fully balanced DAC you psychologically just want to use that.   Donald makes a good case as to why balanced-in is not required for balanced-out & why simpler is better, but the balanced-in option would be great when you have a DAC with perceived better balanced-output quality.  Or just for nutcases with $$.  (Donald, I would rather give the cash to you than EML!  Is this an available option?)

Thanks for the suggestion. I am considering and investigating the possibility of including balanced inputs on my next model. The challenge is finding input transformers which don't degrade the sound. Many look good on paper but you can hear their presence in the signal path.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #2,364 of 4,456
In order to use the balanced outputs of a DAC, could a dual-mono headphone output be obtained by using two Stratus amps, one for each channel?

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,366 of 4,456
In order to use the balanced outputs of a DAC, could a dual-mono headphone output be obtained by using two Stratus amps, one for each channel?

That can be done but it requires unique cabling on the input and output and the cost of a second amplifier. You would essentially operate each amplifier bridged for a single channel and connect across both XLR outputs.

If I can find outstanding input transformers, then I will include XLR inputs for the next model.

Jul 18, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #2,367 of 4,456
  That's been a popular combination at meets when I bring it. It was definitely worth the extra cash when I got it bundled with my HD 800 in a classified.

It's garnered quite a reputation on the Norne Audio thread as well. For me the best thing about it is the neutrality and balance of the frequency's. I can hear nothing wrong therefore I don't crave a different cable. For me that's pretty big.

Thanks' to everyone that posted on this thread their observations and recommendation's. Of course my wallet is so very light now. Don't worry though I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #2,369 of 4,456
I know nothing about transformers. I do remember a guy in Hawaii that built an amazing amp using a silk wound transformer. I'm sure it's prohibitively
expensive. Disregard this post if you like but here's a couple of link's anyway. I found the second to be a particularly fun read. A true trip into the nostalgic
past.

1. http://www.sacthailand.com/Transformer_Output.html

2. https://books.google.com/books?id=ACoDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=What's+the+story+on+silk+wound+transformers?&source=bl&ots=l6liEogcoC&sig=aAhmsAobXdK-0zQx-dgvr3QyLSl&hl=en&sa=X&ved=OCC8Q6AEwA2oVChM12ezGu6XsxglVg72ACh3QCwfm#v=onepage&q=What's%20thestory%20story%20on%silk%20on%20transformers%3F&f=false

On the second part; I did a search on google for silk transformers and this came up as the first part. I really don't know if it has anything to do with silk transformers but I thought it was pretty neat regardless.

Since I'm here, I would like to ask Donald how close is he to finishing (John B) my Stratus? I'm in no big hurry but really like to keep updated on the progress. I have everything I need now and the excitement is becoming excruciation.

beerchug.gif
 Cheer's to everyone!

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2,370 of 4,456

Since I'm here, I would like to ask Donald how close is he to finishing (John B) my Stratus? I'm in no big hurry but really like to keep updated on the progress. I have everything I need now and the excitement is becoming excruciation.

Just do as i do: forget your ordered it and don't think about it. When Donald will mail you to ask the final payment, it will even be more great. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back