DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jul 3, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #2,341 of 4,456
Thks Avrosse. 
beerchug.gif

I don't listen only to classical but I think I prefer my Stratus to stay on the neutral/transparent side more than on the lush/warm side. From what I read and heard , the Stratus is already on the warm side I think I don't want to add even more warmth. 

Your post helped me to do my choice  and I'll buy a full set of EML for my Stratus and I'll see if that's ok for me and compare to my NOS visseaux/miniwatt 2A3.  if none of these 2A3 do the trick then I'll try the Shuguang 2A3CT. 

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #2,343 of 4,456
Joel, thanks for your great post, love to read about actual real-world experience in an impressions thread. 

I got the Stratus and the EC Zana Deux at the same time with the intention of shooting them out.   I haven't had much actual listening time with the ZD however because the Stratus is just killing it.   Current load out is Western Electric 422A grey plate rectifier, Russian 6N1P-EV driver, matched Shuguang Nature Sound 2A3C-T powers.  I also have a NOS GEC 5U4G brown base that I've had maybe 5 hours listening time on.

I already loved the HD800s with good solid state amps (Ragnarok, GSX MkII) but the Stratus just makes it that much better. It rounds off the rougher edges while maintaining the detail and speed, adds a touch of warmth without any bloom or muddiness, generally seems to enhance everything without artificially adding too much.  Absolutely my current go-to combination.  I’m also finding this tube combo has great sound for the HE-6 (balanced) even though Donald thinks the EML meshes might do better. Seems to have plenty of punch for me. My only conflict so far is the Fostex TH900 which seemed too bloomy in the bass using the GEC tube.  Need to listen to that some more, it might have been just a one off with the track. (For reference most of my listening is 70s rock & progressive, electronica, dubstep, female vocals.)

My SS amp & most of my headphones are balanced so the balanced outs on the Stratus make it very easy to switch cans back and forth.  I enjoy the entire A-B process so that's a huge bonus over the ZD, never mind the power increase which I almost consider a requirement now.

I would have preferred balanced inputs to the Stratus.  That would let me A-B amps from the same DAC & output easily.  Plus, when you pay for a fully balanced DAC you psychologically just want to use that.   Donald makes a good case as to why balanced-in is not required for balanced-out & why simpler is better, but the balanced-in option would be great when you have a DAC with perceived better balanced-output quality.  Or just for nutcases with $$.  (Donald, I would rather give the cash to you than EML!  Is this an available option?)

And all that said:  I would never miss out on listening to this amp daily just because I didn’t get my favorite flavor of inputs.

Very interested in rolling with this amp. 6N1Ps & 6BQ7A are dirt cheap so an obvious place to start. Several EBay sellers seem to have smorgasbord packs of old stock available for a cheap fix.   5U4G singletons are somewhat expensive, I am using Dubstep’s 5U4G thread as a guide to get started there obviously. But prices on matched power tubes seem slightly insane (esp. those EMLs!).

The Stratus and ZD are the first tube amps I've owned and I'm clearly still in the honeymoon phase so my comments should be taken with grain of salt.  However, took this to the last Chicago meet and it generally got raves from everyone there as well.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #2,346 of 4,456

I got the Stratus and the EC Zana Deux at the same time with the intention of shooting them out.   I haven't had much actual listening time with the ZD however because the Stratus is just killing it.   Current load out is Western Electric 422A grey plate rectifier, Russian 6N1P-EV driver, matched Shuguang Nature Sound 2A3C-T powers.  I also have a NOS GEC 5U4G brown base that I've had maybe 5 hours listening time on.

Hmm. I thought the Western Electric 422A wasn't a compatible rectifier with Stratus because of the way the pins are wired. How does it sound?

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #2,347 of 4,456

The Stratus was designed to use directly heated rectifiers and takes the high voltage from a center tap of the 5V filament winding for lower noise/hum. The 422A is an indirectly heated rectifier with cathode tied to pin 2 of the heater. This tube will work in the Stratus, but to work optimally the socket needs to be rewired specifically for this tube.

The U52 is a directly heated rectifier and I'm told is the ultimate sonic substitute for a 5U4G.

Here is the thread where Donald mentions the need to rewire when using WE422A rectifier.

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #2,348 of 4,456
Wow, did not know that.  I have to say the 422A sounds pretty frickin awesome as it is, I don't know how much more optimal it could get but I'm not familiar with the tube outside of the Stratus. I'm enjoying the heck out of it for now.

I have a good GEC brown base U52 that I can do some comparisons with, possibly better would be to get Dubstep over here to give it a listen and see if something is missing.

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #2,351 of 4,456
  Now you just need the Wa5.

Hear hear!  Now that Elrog makes their sui generis 300Bs, my WA5 is really giving my other amps a run for the $.
Especially with my non bass-heavy K1000s. 

With the bass-heavy pair I still prefer the Stratus, btw...

Per the 2A3 discussion, I also wanted to add the Raytheon double (stamped) box plate 2A3s to the mix.  Best all around sonically I have heard on the Stratus.   Not easy to find by any means but if you see a pair, sell your kid...

Also surprised no one has mentioned the 596 as rectifier.  Very balanced and sweet like the U52.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #2,353 of 4,456
Have anyone heard any differences between 2a3 shuguang treasure and the natural sound series?

And how shuguang natural sound compare to sophia princess in its bass? Shuguang treasure seem rolling its deep bass compared to sophia

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back