DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
May 2, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,715 of 4,470
May 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #1,716 of 4,470
Hello there 'Problem'. I ran across this post with your question about CryoSet. I've been purchasing cryo-treated tubes from them for over 15 years. Absolutely TOP NOTCH all the way. Very impressive packaging and quick ship times. I currently own a DNA Sonnett 2 and Cryo-Set treated tubes have definitely taken it up a notch. Also, I recently acquired the excellent PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC Mk II  and the Perfect Transport. This set up with my HD800's (and recently purchased Oppo PM-1's) sounds simply 'sublime'. I can't imagine how awesome a set up with Donald's Stratus would be!! (might soon find out myself as that's why I was 'trolling' this thread...
atsmile.gif
)

May 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #1,717 of 4,470
  Hello there 'Problem'. I ran across this post with your question about CryoSet. I've been purchasing cryo-treated tubes from them for over 15 years. Absolutely TOP NOTCH all the way. Very impressive packaging and quick ship times. I currently own a DNA Sonnett 2 and Cryo-Set treated tubes have definitely taken it up a notch. Also, I recently acquired the excellent PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC Mk II  and the Perfect Transport. This set up with my HD800's (and recently purchased Oppo PM-1's) sounds simply 'sublime'. I can't imagine how awesome a set up with Donald's Stratus would be!! (might soon find out myself as that's why I was 'trolling' this thread...
atsmile.gif
)

Thanks for the feedback and confidence regarding the cryoset, might just consider getting them it is certainly on the cheaper alternative compared to the pearl cryo.

May 6, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,719 of 4,470
  Zana Deux SE or Status 2A3 ?

Your asking this on the DNA thread. DNA of course. I don't think i would like the Zana - its not supposed to sound tubey (not that the Stratus does in particular) but yea, I hate the look of the Eddie current stuff as well.

DG had the Zana and said that it lacked meat in the lower registers which is a big no no for me. I don't mind a really fast sounding amp but fast and thin, well, we cant be having that. 

May 7, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #1,721 of 4,470

Nice. I swapped over to a WyWires 4 pin balanced HD800 cable and I feel like a have a new amp.

I recently purchased a WyWires Red balanced cable for my HD800's too. It really made the Sennheisers sound a lot more refined. I'm a WyWires fan though.

May 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,723 of 4,470
After spending quite a bit of time with my new tubes (Sophia princess 2A3 and GEC U52, I think I am ready to give my thoughts.  Basically I mixed them around with my current Shuguang Natural Sound 2A3 and EML 5U4G to try out the 4 different combi hoping to get an improved sound. Unfortunately, I am sad to say that I did not get the improved sound that I wished for, at the end of the day, the 4 combi are just different flavours, rather than one being superior. After spending close to $900 on the new tubes, I ended up sticking to my old combi of Shuguang and EML.

Comparing Sophia Princess and Shuguang, I prefer the Shuguang due to a slightly smoother top (which is more natural to my ears using HD800) as well as the Shuguang giving a little more body to the sound. However, I can imagine the Sophia Princess being a better match for other headphones like the Audezes due to its sparkly high. 

Comparing the EML 5U4G and GEC U52, while the U52 sounds more refined (warmer and smoother and a tad clearer), I found that the bass is not as defined as the EML and the overall sound is bit too romantic sounding and can be a bit sleep inducing. (I don’t know how much my tube DAC is a factor here) Eventually I settled on the EML as it is just more engaging/toe tapping.

In the meantime, I was also tweaking with other parts of my chain- my power cables, conditioner, DA&T filters and I thought the improvement of the sound after upgrading some of the power cables was more pretty obvious and significant. (Are power cables snakes’ oil? Not in my opinion, as I was able to hear every change I made when I tried the different cables at different parts of the chain. I will even go as far to say that you do not know what your music components are capable of, if you are still using stock cables)

What is about to come next was the one that surprised me the most. I tried out a set of low cost Agora Acoustics Magic Hexa footer ($65) on the Stratus. I never thought too much about buying audiophile footers, as I thought how can a little vibration affect the sound? I even read that people used the example of shaking your components while playing music and it will do nothing to the music quality. Thus you can imagine my amazement when I put the Stratus on the Magic Hexa footers, especially for a tweak this cheap. The sound ended up with a better body and imaging and the bass became tighter. The improvement in the refinement of sound was not subtle at all. Due to the balance of Stratus which is heavier on the left side, I found that putting 2 footers under the left side and just 1 on the right side yielded the best results. After buying just 1 set of footers on the first day, I ended buying another 2 sets the next day for my DP-777 DAC and my power conditioner.

I am really happy with the new refinement in the sound I am hearing now. Everything sounds clearer, more distinct and engaging and yet not fatiguing to my sensitive ears. The bass is the best I have heard so far with my set-up, hits hard with texture, clean and only comes up when called for, very satisfying stuff. There are definitely better footers out there, but for $65 (x3 for my DAC and conditioner as well), the Agora Acoustics Magic Hexa footer is the most value-for money item I have ever spent on my audio journey. If you have yet to invest on a set of footer on the Stratus amplifier, you may want to try this out. To me, it is so much worthwhile than the $900 I spent on the new tubes.

May 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #1,724 of 4,470
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I use Symposium Svelte abd Ultra shelves. I have found them to be my preferred isolation pieces

May 11, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #1,725 of 4,470
  After spending quite a bit of time with my new tubes (Sophia princess 2A3 and GEC U52, I think I am ready to give my thoughts.  Basically I mixed them around with my current Shuguang Natural Sound 2A3 and EML 5U4G to try out the 4 different combi hoping to get an improved sound. Unfortunately, I am sad to say that I did not get the improved sound that I wished for, at the end of the day, the 4 combi are just different flavours, rather than one being superior. After spending close to $900 on the new tubes, I ended up sticking to my old combi of Shuguang and EML.

Comparing Sophia Princess and Shuguang, I prefer the Shuguang due to a slightly smoother top (which is more natural to my ears using HD800) as well as the Shuguang giving a little more body to the sound. However, I can imagine the Sophia Princess being a better match for other headphones like the Audezes due to its sparkly high. 

Comparing the EML 5U4G and GEC U52, while the U52 sounds more refined (warmer and smoother and a tad clearer), I found that the bass is not as defined as the EML and the overall sound is bit too romantic sounding and can be a bit sleep inducing. (I don’t know how much my tube DAC is a factor here) Eventually I settled on the EML as it is just more engaging/toe tapping.

In the meantime, I was also tweaking with other parts of my chain- my power cables, conditioner, DA&T filters and I thought the improvement of the sound after upgrading some of the power cables was more pretty obvious and significant. (Are power cables snakes’ oil? Not in my opinion, as I was able to hear every change I made when I tried the different cables at different parts of the chain. I will even go as far to say that you do not know what your music components are capable of, if you are still using stock cables)

What is about to come next was the one that surprised me the most. I tried out a set of low cost Agora Acoustics Magic Hexa footer ($65) on the Stratus. I never thought too much about buying audiophile footers, as I thought how can a little vibration affect the sound? I even read that people used the example of shaking your components while playing music and it will do nothing to the music quality. Thus you can imagine my amazement when I put the Stratus on the Magic Hexa footers, especially for a tweak this cheap. The sound ended up with a better body and imaging and the bass became tighter. The improvement in the refinement of sound was not subtle at all. Due to the balance of Stratus which is heavier on the left side, I found that putting 2 footers under the left side and just 1 on the right side yielded the best results. After buying just 1 set of footers on the first day, I ended buying another 2 sets the next day for my DP-777 DAC and my power conditioner.

I am really happy with the new refinement in the sound I am hearing now. Everything sounds clearer, more distinct and engaging and yet not fatiguing to my sensitive ears. The bass is the best I have heard so far with my set-up, hits hard with texture, clean and only comes up when called for, very satisfying stuff. There are definitely better footers out there, but for $65 (x3 for my DAC and conditioner as well), the Agora Acoustics Magic Hexa footer is the most value-for money item I have ever spent on my audio journey. If you have yet to invest on a set of footer on the Stratus amplifier, you may want to try this out. To me, it is so much worthwhile than the $900 I spent on the new tubes.

Thanks for the impressions- If you want get rid of any tubes send me a P.M. Could you post some pictures of the Stratus with the footers? 

Also maybe say which music you used to listen with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back