DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Dec 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,352 of 4,470
Hey guys!

I think I blew a tube traveling. Looks like one of the has something lose inside. Yes I brought the stratus to the family for Holidays! I need to order two 2a3 tubes and have it overnighted. Can someone recommend where I can get that sort of service? and Which tubes give you the "wettest" sound? 

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,353 of 4,470
FYI Everyone,
Just a comment on Donald's costumer service. Donald called me today and promised to overnight replacement tube on Monday. Mind you this is most like my fault packing the tubes. I hope everything else is in good enough shape and I can finally sink in for some quality time with this  great amp. 

Many many thanks to Donald! You have  a loyal customer for life - for life! 

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #1,354 of 4,470
"WE replica 2A3": I don't believe WE made a 2A3 tube.  What Shuguang has done with their cheaper - and very good sounding -  2A3 models is to make a 2A3 whose plate and bottle look like a WE 300B.  I suspect the PS Vane is a 2A3 Shuggy in disguise, hidden behind the black glass + gold pins.  The early, vintage 2A3s mostly looked like the rare Cunninghams that some of you own: Single ladder plates, which no WE tube ever used. 

Correct me if i am wrong, please.

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #1,356 of 4,470
Regarding tube rolling on the driver: can I use PCC88 instead of the 6N1P? I know there are some differences in heater current, but will it damage the amp or just takes longer to heat up?

Any recommendations on other replacements for the driver tube are welcome.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,357 of 4,470
I couldn't resist and bought a pair of the Psvane WR2A3's; I have had Psvane 300Bs, 845's and 6CA7's that I used in other equipment and have had no problems and found their sound to be very good.

My other 2A3's are the Sophia Princess I got with my Stratus and a nice pair of black glass Ken Rads. I've only been playing the WR2A3's for a few hours this evening, but based on what I've heard so fad, I'm very, very impressed! The tone is magnificent and so far seems even more natural than the Princess--these seem to have the beautiful mids of the Ken Rads, but with the extension & detail of the Princess, all the while sounding smooth & creamy. And they are completely quiet. Based on my past experiences with Psvane and Black Treasure tubes, I expect these to improve significantly with some significant hours on them.

I'd urge people to not discount or ignore this tube just because their marketing seems questionable with the Western Electric references.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #1,358 of 4,470
I couldn't resist and bought a pair of the Psvane WR2A3's; I have had Psvane 300Bs, 845's and 6CA7's that I used in other equipment and have had no problems and found their sound to be very good.

My other 2A3's are the Sophia Princess I got with my Stratus and a nice pair of black glass Ken Rads. I've only been playing the WR2A3's for a few hours this evening, but based on what I've heard so fad, I'm very, very impressed! The tone is magnificent and so far seems even more natural than the Princess--these seem to have the beautiful mids of the Ken Rads, but with the extension & detail of the Princess, all the while sounding smooth & creamy. And they are completely quiet. Based on my past experiences with Psvane and Black Treasure tubes, I expect these to improve significantly with some significant hours on them.

I'd urge people to not discount or ignore this tube just because their marketing seems questionable with the Western Electric references.

I tried a pair of the Psvane Treasure Mark IIs and they sounded much like you describe. I was sad when they started a low level sputtering/gurgling sound. Even sent them to Donald North and he had the same problem. Even though I got my money back, it cost so much to return to China I have steered clear of them.

I hope it was just a bad run because they were really sweet sounding tubes - creamy smooth, full mids and sparkly high end. They were a beautiful match for the T1 headphones I had at the time. I suspect they would sound great with HD800s too.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #1,360 of 4,470
  Regarding tube rolling on the driver: can I use PCC88 instead of the 6N1P? I know there are some differences in heater current, but will it damage the amp or just takes longer to heat up?

Any recommendations on other replacements for the driver tube are welcome.

The PCC88 is a 7V version of the ECC88. Both are not replacements for the 6N1P, which has different plate impedance and transconductance parameters. An alternative to the 6N1P is the 6BQ7A.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #1,361 of 4,470

The PCC88 is a 7V version of the ECC88. Both are not replacements for the 6N1P, which has different plate impedance and transconductance parameters. An alternative to the 6N1P is the 6BQ7A.

Hi Donald,

I am currently using Sophia Princess 2a3's and have just upgraded to a GEC rectifier tube which sounds very nice in my setup (thanks dubstep girl!)

Are you able to recommend a hig quality 6N1P / 6BQ7A Tube to roll in to the stratus?

Thanks,

gav.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,362 of 4,470
so Donald, the 422A doesn't work? I thought it would.

I know if it doesn't, then the U52 is hands down the ultimate rectifier for your amp 
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,363 of 4,470

Thank you for the information, Donald. I'll go on upgrading the driver to 6BQ7A / ECC180 tubes.

While you're answering Dubstep Girl question above, could you also let us know if Raytheon 5R4 GY and RK60/1641 work as rectifier tube? I have a few of those lying around here.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #1,364 of 4,470

Thank you for the information, Donald. I'll go on upgrading the driver to 6BQ7A / ECC180 tubes.

While you're answering Dubstep Girl question above, could you also let us know if Raytheon 5R4 GY and RK60/1641 work as rectifier tube? I have a few of those lying around here.

I can recommend the Pearl cryo 6N1P at this site.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/tube_new_cryo_ss.html

I've tried a few different 6N1Ps and 6BQ7As and this tube, stupid expensive as it is, retains the detail of the 6N1P with the smoothness of the 6BQ7s. (I have a Sylvania 6BQ7 that I much prefer to the sort of scooped out sound of the RCA).  

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #1,365 of 4,470

im curious about the RK60 as well. I know he said the 596 wouldn't work. but the 5R4GY will. the RK60 probably won't since its similar to a 596.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back