DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Dec 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #1,336 of 4,456
EML all the way for sure!! Don't blame you re: Psvane, reliability is serious concern, although apparently they suppose to sound good while they last (albeit very very short in some cases).

Those Psvane WE275 are not true replica as it has 2.5V filament voltage instead of the real WE275A's 5V. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,337 of 4,456
i had the Stratus for about a week now and it is my favorite amp! I love it!!! It breathed life into my HD800, which is now my no 1 HP! I will post more in a week, as I take time off from work and have more time to focus on the specifics and post them here. 

Prelim impressions -- Stratus is amazingly transparent with beautiful extension into treble without any -- I mean any ! -- treble harshness. (if you found hd800 treble happy, this is the amp for you!) But we all know that HD 800 does treble really well. So how are the mids and the bas?! In short, they are the best I have ever heard HD800 sound! There is so much body on each note. Stratus is surpassing my expectations! The bas and mids are great! (this is from someone who listens to IDM?EDM!)
While I am not the most experienced audiophile, I have had the pleasure of hearing the BHSE and the TOTL Stax HPs. This amp killed the Stax bug in me! With the HD800 and the Stratus, I am all set! Thank you Donald! 

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #1,339 of 4,456

Sweet!! What tubes are you using?

I am using the tubes it came with. I wonna spend some time with the Stratus in this configuration before I move on to something else. Then I am gonna move on quite slowly. 

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #1,340 of 4,456
I am using the tubes it came with. I wonna spend some time with the Stratus in this configuration before I move on to something else. Then I am gonna move on quite slowly. 

Glad to hear that you are getting great results pairing the Stratus with HD800. Gonna thank you for steering me to choose the Stratus as well. Based on the other owners' impressions, I think the sound will only get better for you when you start upgrading your tubes. I also admire your take it slow approach, in that way you can appreciate and savour every improvement along the way. I wish I have the same patience as you :)

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #1,341 of 4,456
  i had the Stratus for about a week now and it is my favorite amp! I love it!!! It breathed life into my HD800, which is now my no 1 HP! I will post more in a week, as I take time off from work and have more time to focus on the specifics and post them here.

Prelim impressions -- Stratus is amazingly transparent with beautiful extension into treble without any -- I mean any ! -- treble harshness. (if you found hd800 treble happy, this is the amp for you!) But we all know that HD 800 does treble really well. So how are the mids and the bas?! In short, they are the best I have ever heard HD800 sound! There is so much body on each note. Stratus is surpassing my expectations! The bas and mids are great! (this is from someone who listens to IDM?EDM!)
While I am not the most experienced audiophile, I have had the pleasure of hearing the BHSE and the TOTL Stax HPs. This amp killed the Stax bug in me! With the HD800 and the Stratus, I am all set! Thank you Donald!

Glad you went with the Stratus! These Senns really do achieve another level with a great tube amp. Looking forward to your Stratus/GSX comparisons down the road. Enjoy!

-Daniel

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #1,342 of 4,456
Glad to hear that you are getting great results pairing the Stratus with HD800. Gonna thank you for steering me to choose the Stratus as well. Based on the other owners' impressions, I think the sound will only get better for you when you start upgrading your tubes. I also admire your take it slow approach, in that way you can appreciate and savour every improvement along the way. I wish I have the same patience as you
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad you went with the Stratus! These Senns really do achieve another level with a great tube amp. Looking forward to your Stratus/GSX comparisons down the road. Enjoy!

-Daniel

Thank you Gents!

I do agree that these Senns benefit a well designed tube amp. When I made the call to move onto the Stratus, someone (i believe it was Third Eye) said that Stratus just may become my favorite amp. It sure is for now! I do still love my F3 (esp with HE6)  but I am finding myself drawn to Stratus more than the F3 over the last week. I have not done side by side though. 

Re my patience - it is not that hard, when the performance is as good as it is. I believe that I have gotten to a place where upgrades to aspects of music that i value most will be so minor. It's easy to be patient. Also, I have been so busy, I have not had time to get all OCD! It used to be much harder in the past.  

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,343 of 4,456
pcx says that the PSVANE Replica Series 2A3 is made to the RCA 2A3 design spec, with the same materials as used in the original WE300B.

Their sale price now is 30% off, so total after s/h $411.

They arrived yesterday, and I installed them this morning. They only have 2 hours use so far, but it's immediately clear that they produce a more rich texture, more realistic timbre, and more dimensional presentation than the EML solid plates, which is what I had installed just before. The image is out front again, too, like the Natural Sound 2A3s generate.

No sign of any noise or gas discharge yet.

The volume level is considerably lower. I wonder if that could be a result of different specs.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,346 of 4,456
Budx,

Which of the Psvane replica series are you running? The pcx site has the WE275, which says it runs at 2.5v fil (and looks to be a single plate) and the WR2A3....

Thanks!

Randy

Randy

WR2A3
http://www.partsconnexion.com/product25278.html

sorry, total was $450.97

do you know what WR means instead of WE ?

it's still sounding *very* sweet with no noise -- but I'll wait to compare 'em to the NatSound until they have more hours

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #1,347 of 4,456

Randy

WR2A3

sorry, total was $450.97

it's still sounding *very* sweet with no noise -- but I'll wait to compare 'em to the NatSound until they have more hours

I think W (for Western Electric) R (for RCA). There's more information on the Grant Fidelity website. PCX isn't that far from where I live, but I still prefer to get the Psvane tubes from GF(tubes are pre-tested by the manufacture using GF's own equipment prior to shipping).  Although, I have purchased tubes from PCX and had no issues at all.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #1,349 of 4,456

Randy

WR2A3

sorry, total was $450.97

Did you try the EML tube (either one) first?  This seems like a high price to pay for a tube from a company (PSVANE) about which there are such mixed comments on the net.  But I sincerely hope they do work for you.  Good luck.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #1,350 of 4,456
anyone tries the WE442A in the stratus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back