DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Dec 9, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #1,323 of 4,456
Unfortunstely this addiction just results in me requiring a MDR-R10 post #1000 serial Bass Heavy version...you know..for comparison reasons

And then I guess a mint Orpheus system.

And then...

Da*n my obsessive personality....

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #1,324 of 4,456
Unfortunstely this addiction just results in me requiring a MDR-R10 post #1000 serial Bass Heavy version...you know..for comparison reasons

And then I guess a mint Orpheus system.

And then...

Da*n my obsessive personality....

LOL, yes.... We all float down here. :veryevil:
Awesome rig. Those Sony's are really something. Wish they would release a new version.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #1,325 of 4,456
  My quaint corner of nirvana...

Beatles - Girl - 24bit USB FLAC.

Amazing

Congrats to you! The R10 is at the top of my wish list.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,326 of 4,456
  I thought I would alert you all to a potential problem with the new Psvane Mk II tubes. The pair I purchased developed a spitting/sputtering noise after a bit of burn in (6-10 hrs). I thought it was amp but no problem with stock tubes. I purchased from tube-sale.com and when I complained that one tube was bad they sent me another. When all three started having problems I asked for refund. And, they are happy to give me a refund if I return the tubes. Problem is, the shipping back to China is over $200. So, even with refund, I only get $100 back on my $300+ purchase. Ouch! In fairness, they are trying to figure out a way around this but haven't done so yet.

Donald has the tubes right now and experienced same problem in his Stratus. I don't know the problem but I won't be purchasing tubes from China any time soon. The tubes sounded really sweet before developing the problem, by the way. If you want to give these tubes a try I would recommend purchasing from a US distributor in case you have he same problem I had.

I have been reading these posts and never thought I had anything to contribute until now.l

I plan to attend the event in Woodland Hills, CA coming up which is near my home. I am eager to hear other headphones, tube set-ups etc. I have T-1 phones and interested in upgrading tubes but can't afford to experiment as much as some other.

And, love my Stratus amp and experience dealing with Donald. 

This is the only comment I've found on the use of PSVANE 2A3s in the Stratus. 

I'm interested in trying their WE replica 2A3s. Any recommendations?

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,328 of 4,456

I have not heard a better current production tube than the 2A3s by EML.  I do not own either because I have a pair of AVVT mesh plates.  When my vintage RCA dual plates start to crackle, I'll get a pair of Shuguangs or Electro-harmonix.  When the AVVTs go, I'll get the EML hard plates.  I don't trust any tubes with gold pins and black glass, based both on what I read from users and my hunch that the mfr is just hiding the "guts" of their cheaper model.  It would be interesting to disect your tube and compare the guts with a shuggy.

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #1,329 of 4,456

"WE replica 2A3": I don't believe WE made a 2A3 tube.  What Shuguang has done with their cheaper - and very good sounding -  2A3 models is to make a 2A3 whose plate and bottle look like a WE 300B.  I suspect the PS Vane is a 2A3 Shuggy in disguise, hidden behind the black glass + gold pins.  The early, vintage 2A3s mostly looked like the rare Cunninghams that some of you own: Single ladder plates, which no WE tube ever used. 

Correct me if i am wrong, please.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #1,330 of 4,456
Looks like you are absolutely correct, Frihed89; here's the vintage list
http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/we_tubedata.pdf

I never thought to check - I thought PSVANE was the best source over there. I guess intellectual property is still a slippery subject.

Not to spread rumors, but last weeks issue of Science magazine (I subscribe) had a large article about their sad behavior in academia - articles for sale on the Internet to use for padding the publication list, false credentials, tenure obtained with bribes, etc --- and it blamed their overall lack of scientific excellence in part on that culture. A second brief news item said they are trying to reform their top academic academy, where memberships are similarly loose...... of course, that doesn't mean everyone......
I don't know if this will work, but here's the link to the first pdf. 
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/342/6162/1035.full.pdf

deadhorse.gif

Thank you very much - I'll tell pcx, who has them on sale. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #1,331 of 4,456
I think he means those psvane WE275 "replica", no black glass nor gold pins (see below link).

I don't think psvane T series (mk1 or mk2) shapes like Shuguang 2A3C, they are smaller (2A3B) and cannot in all cases substitute for 2A3C. Reliability of their 2A3T mk2 is definitely a concern though. 

Psvane WE275 - Psvane mod the original WE275A design which has 5V filament voltage to 2.5V, so it is not a true replica. 
http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/psvane-we275-11-replica-2a3-equivalent-pair/

Real WE275A with filament voltage 5V:
http://www.odeo-co.co.jp/tube275a001.jpg

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #1,332 of 4,456

"WE replica 2A3": I don't believe WE made a 2A3 tube.  What Shuguang has done with their cheaper - and very good sounding -  2A3 models is to make a 2A3 whose plate and bottle look like a WE 300B.  I suspect the PS Vane is a 2A3 Shuggy in disguise, hidden behind the black glass + gold pins.  The early, vintage 2A3s mostly looked like the rare Cunninghams that some of you own: Single ladder plates, which no WE tube ever used. 

Correct me if i am wrong, please.

RCA 2A3 monoplates are the really nice ones, there is no western electric 2a3 that i know of. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,334 of 4,456
Nope.  The amp is cathode bias. The exact operating points of the 2A3s are determined by the voltage drop across the resistor that lies between its cathode and circuit ground (cathode resistor).  In other words, the tube biases itself.  No biasing by hand (fixed bias).  I actually prefer the latter sonically, but the differences can be small.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #1,335 of 4,456
  I think he means those psvane WE275 replica, no black glass nor gold pins (see below link).

I don't think psvane T series (mk1 or mk2) shapes like Shuguang 2A3C, they are smaller (2A3B) and cannot in all cases substitute for 2A3C. Reliability of their 2A3T mk2 is definitely a concern though. 

Psvane WE275
http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/psvane-we275-11-replica-2a3-equivalent-pair/

Thanks for the correction on the 275.  I don't even look at these tubes or adds as I have become very happy with Shuguang's newer standard 300B and KT88 as an owner (or former owner) and I have read more negative than positive comments about Treasure series tubes and Psvane's from experts.  As pricey as they are, i'd recommend one of the EMLs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back