DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 21, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #4,261 of 4,464
Bet it’s like original, original Coke – secret ingredient was cocaine. Hasn’t been the same since.

giphy.gif
Hah!! When I was in the record business in the 1970's, Cocaine Bear would have been our mascot!! He'd have gotten a recording contract or at least made a record company executive.... Haven't been able to get good blowzeen for a few decades now.... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #4,262 of 4,464
I think it's unicorn dust and fairy farts for my WE's, but yeah, you're right to a large extent. There's a very interesting story on the Western Electric website about their new plant in Georgia for making 300B tubes, and how they ARE using some of the same materials that went into the original 300B's of last century. Also gotta figure that they made a lot more tubes, at least domestically in the US, back in the NOS days, 'cause tubes are what you had back then (I still remember the TV tech who would come in armed with a battery of tubes and demagnetizers and such); they hadn't been replaced by transistors yet....
Sadly I remember as a kid our tv going out all the time and me and my dad would drive to some electronic store nearby with a box full of tubes. They'd test what we brought, pull out the dead ones, and ring us up for replacements :)

Mar 22, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #4,263 of 4,464
Before I got my Stratus, I had a Kenzie Encore Deluxe and I loved it. The Stratus kicked it out of the bed, but it was (and is) still a wonderful warm, sweet amp. I had absolutely no noise from it, it was dead quiet for me. I sold it to a nice person who experienced a lot of humming and buzzing from it. I live in a 110 year old house with decrepit electrical and have been told I will need to 'fix it', but aside from a Furman Power Conditioner I don't do anything special to decrapify the wiring. So one man's silent Kenzie is another man's buzzing one. I chalk it up to house-amp synergy. My Glenn OTL is just very picky when it comes to tubes - some buzz and others don't.

As for the 2A3 tubes, I've been on a mission the last few months to roll through a series of them. I have 2 wonderful NOS pairs (Japan-made NECs and a pair of GE's) and splurged on the Linlai Elites. I got the amp used, with a pair of JJs - the JJ 2a3's are surprisingly nice to me - big and bassy, like a mini-300b, but a touch wooly which hides some detail. I got a pair of Cunningham's too, which were much more transparent but a little too thin. Both of those are now for sale.

I would be happy with either the NECs or the GE's - they're both great with the Strtus, but my tube nervosa would never be cured without hearing the Linlai Elites, so I bought a pair of those and probably have about 50 hours on them now. I don't want to make any decisions until I give em at least 100 but 1 of the 3 will have to go. I agree that the (good) NOS tubes have some extra dusting of tube magic.

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #4,264 of 4,464
Any favorite DACs with the Stratus? What has good synergy? Anyone running Holo Spring 3 or Holo May?

Looking for an upgrade from Chord Hugo 2. I’m thinking of going with Spring 3 KTE, but keeping my powder dry for now. I’ve also used BorderPatrol SE-i with Stratus but prefer the Hugo 2 for its better resolution and dynamics.

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #4,265 of 4,464
Any favorite DACs with the Stratus? What has good synergy? Anyone running Holo Spring 3 or Holo May?

Looking for an upgrade from Chord Hugo 2. I’m thinking of going with Spring 3 KTE, but keeping my powder dry for now. I’ve also used BorderPatrol SE-i with Stratus but prefer the Hugo 2 for its better resolution and dynamics.
I've got a Holo May KTE, but I use that in my 2-channel system. I've got an MSB 'Analog DAC', which is another great ladder DAC, that I got a demo of about 10 years ago going into my Stratus....

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #4,266 of 4,464
I've got a Holo May KTE, but I use that in my 2-channel system. I've got an MSB 'Analog DAC', which is another great ladder DAC, that I got a demo of about 10 years ago going into my Stratus....
Nice. Do you have a preference between the two? Or can’t compare since they’re on difference systems?

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #4,268 of 4,464
Anyone using kr 2a3's hp with their dna stratus? Like's or dislike's?
Using in my Stellaris. Had put them in the drawer as the Taks have reigned supreme but put them back in earlier this week. Focal Utopia have returned to my stable, so I put in the KR 2a3 HPs and the KR 5U4G. Super quiet noise wise. When I first received them, I sent them to Donald for feedback and he wrote " they run a little higher plate current and dissipation but nothing of concern fortunately. I’ve been listening to them and they sound really good – airy and extended and resolving."

Long way of saying, they're good.

Apr 26, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #4,269 of 4,464
Using in my Stellaris. Had put them in the drawer as the Taks have reigned supreme but put them back in earlier this week. Focal Utopia have returned to my stable, so I put in the KR 2a3 HPs and the KR 5U4G. Super quiet noise wise. When I first received them, I sent them to Donald for feedback and he wrote " they run a little higher plate current and dissipation but nothing of concern fortunately. I’ve been listening to them and they sound really good – airy and extended and resolving."

gene: how is the noise floor on your Taks? I purchased a pair but I am getting the tiniest bit of low level hum no matter my adjustment on the pots. None of my other 2a3s have this issue. In terms of their sound though, they really are the best.

Apr 26, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #4,270 of 4,464
gene: how is the noise floor on your Taks? I purchased a pair but I am getting the tiniest bit of low level hum no matter my adjustment on the pots. None of my other 2a3s have this issue. In terms of their sound though, they really are the best.
My Taks hum with my Utopia, or I notice it with them, but I hadn't experienced them with lower sensitivity headphones. If I move to the 1/4" jack rather than the XLR, it reduces. It could be the sensitivity being higher makes it more noticeable or it could be the higher impedance. That said, once music is playing I don't notice it and the Taks do sound wonderful.

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #4,272 of 4,464

Are you using the KR-Audio Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition? Was there both a single and double glass version? I can't remember for sure. I have the double. I thought it may sound good with KR2A3 HP's, but I may sell it and apply the money toward a pair of the Tak's. It's hard to let it go because the thing is built so solid. I got a feeling it's going to be around a very long time.

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #4,273 of 4,464
Are you using the KR-Audio Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition? Was there both a single and double glass version? I can't remember for sure. I have the double. I thought it may sound good with KR2A3 HP's, but I may sell it and apply the money toward a pair of the Tak's. It's hard to let it go because the thing is built so solid. I got a feeling it's going to be around a very long time.
I have the Riccardo Kron anniversary special edition 2018. Single glass.

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #4,274 of 4,464
Let me know if you're considering selling the KR 5u4g anniversary. I purchased one right before the 300b site went under and it unfortunately failed within a few months. I was able to purchase a non-anniversary KR 5u4g, but I do think I overall preferred the anniversary one. I will say that I think that the current Elrog 5u4g is better than either, though.

The taks are pretty special with the Stellaris/Stratus, but as Genefruit and I have mentioned, they seem to exhibit a low level hum with sensitive headphones like the Utopia. I don't think it's a manufacturing defect at this point, but rather inherent to the tube itself.

Apr 29, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #4,275 of 4,464
Let me know if you're considering selling the KR 5u4g anniversary. I purchased one right before the 300b site went under and it unfortunately failed within a few months. I was able to purchase a non-anniversary KR 5u4g, but I do think I overall preferred the anniversary one. I will say that I think that the current Elrog 5u4g is better than either, though.

The taks are pretty special with the Stellaris/Stratus, but as Genefruit and I have mentioned, they seem to exhibit a low level hum with sensitive headphones like the Utopia. I don't think it's a manufacturing defect at this point, but rather inherent to the tube itself.
Ok that's a really helpful data point. I was going crazy wondering why they exhibit a low level hum with the Utopias. The sound itself is so marvelous, though, that it's still worth the tradeoff. Have you tried tube dampers?
I have tried a few tube dampers. Herbie's on the rectifier & power tubes with mixed results. I was constantly fiddling with them and felt they were to much of a distraction. Bare in mind I was using new production tubes at the time and did not try on nos. Nor did I try the expensive version. They have a 60's day trial period which is more than fair I think. https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/tube-dampers.

One product that I do like and even recommended was the Pearl Cooler's. There's two 9 pin versions' now where there used to be just one. Sorry I don't remember which one you need. You can read more about them here: https://www.pearl-hifi.com/03_Prod_Serv/Coolers/Coolers.html. Parts Connexion sell's them but if they're out you can contact Pearl and he may sell you one.
I have the Riccardo Kron anniversary special edition 2018. Single glass.
Oops... sorry, this one is a 2018 also, with round glass. Just broken in really. My amp needed some repairs, so it's been stored away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back