DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 1, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #4,216 of 4,456
Really look forward to hearing your impression of Susvara with Stratus. Can you link the video review you mentioned?
And I really liked that he said that too, because I figured that I wouldn't be able to use the Susvaras effectively with the Stratus, but this guy gave the combination a thumbs-up!

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #4,217 of 4,456
I also enjoy my Susvara on my DNA amp. I've read elsewhere that others don't think the combination brings out the best in either but I respectfully disagree.
Indeed; probably the same with my EC - I'm sure they won't do for the Susvaras what an $16,000 Woo Audio WA-33 can, but in audio, there will always be something better than what you have, so ENJOY! And I did like them with the EC more than with the more powerful Auris Nirvana, which was designed for Susvara use.

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #4,218 of 4,456
I also enjoy my Susvara on my DNA amp. I've read elsewhere that others don't think the combination brings out the best in either but I respectfully disagree.
How’s the low-end? I assume not nearly as punchy as on a powerful solid state amp, but does it still have a good rumble?

Mar 1, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #4,219 of 4,456
How’s the low-end? I assume not nearly as punchy as on a powerful solid state amp, but does it still have a good rumble?
It has good rumble. The gap could be greater depending upon how loud one listens. If you typically listen at lower dbs, I think the gap is much closer than one would expect. Insert all typical disclaimers here.

Mar 1, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #4,220 of 4,456
It has good rumble. The gap could be greater depending upon how loud one listens. If you typically listen at lower dbs, I think the gap is much closer than one would expect. Insert all typical disclaimers here.
Fascinating. By “gap” you mean the gap between Stratus vs good solid state?

Mar 1, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #4,221 of 4,456
Mar 1, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #4,222 of 4,456
I went through a period during the lockdown when I was trying out all kinds of headphone amps, tube and SS - in addition to the Nirvana, I also had an Enleum 23R and an Oor stack and a DAVE and an M Scaler, and except for the Eddie Current and the Nirvana (which is currently up for sale), I sold all the rest. Yes, they all did bass harder and fatter. Didn't matter to me, the rest was so good, and with the right source, the Susvaras will still vibrate the bones. Nothing like a tube amp with some extra special mojo, like the 300B and I've no doubt, the Stratus....

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #4,223 of 4,456
I went through a period during the lockdown when I was trying out all kinds of headphone amps, tube and SS - in addition to the Nirvana, I also had an Enleum 23R and an Oor stack and a DAVE and an M Scaler, and except for the Eddie Current and the Nirvana (which is currently up for sale), I sold all the rest. Yes, they all did bass harder and fatter. Didn't matter to me, the rest was so good, and with the right source, the Susvaras will still vibrate the bones. Nothing like a tube amp with some extra special mojo, like the 300B and I've no doubt, the Stratus....
Nice. I just listened to 23R with Susvara at CanJam and loved the sound (preferred it to Susvara on the Zahl, which I thought was a better amp overall). Will await your Stratus-Susvara reporting.

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #4,224 of 4,456
Nice. I just listened to 23R with Susvara at CanJam and loved the sound (preferred it to Susvara on the Zahl, which I thought was a better amp overall). Will await your Stratus-Susvara reporting.
Can you tell me what the burn-in situation with the Stratus and its tubes? How long do they need to play before they sound as good as they can?

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #4,225 of 4,456
Can you tell me what the burn-in situation with the Stratus and its tubes? How long do they need to play before they sound as good as they can?
I’m not sure since I bought mine used and stock tubes at least some burn-in.

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #4,226 of 4,456
Forgive me if somebody has already asked this, but can anybody give me an idea of how long a burn-in time the Stratus and/or its tubes need before they are at their best?

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #4,227 of 4,456
Forgive me if somebody has already asked this, but can anybody give me an idea of how long a burn-in time the Stratus and/or its tubes need before they are at their best?
After the first week or so mine settled down and hasn’t changed much. My guess is the first 40-50 hours are the most variable in regards to tubes burning in.

Mar 8, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #4,228 of 4,456
Stratus amp box just showed up - color me excited.....

Mar 8, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #4,229 of 4,456
Eddie's got a new friend....

1678319470147.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back