DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 12, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #4,201 of 4,455
I'm thinking I'll spring for either an HD800 (not the S, and I'll SDR-mod it)... Wondering if anyone can comment on... complement to the darker LCD2.
I have the LCD-2 Classic, so not a million miles from your LCD-2, and the HD 800 SDR. They're definitely complementary, offering contrasting tunings and listening experiences.

The HD 800 SDR sound magnificent from the Stratus. The pairing's synergistic. The Stratus adds some much needed warmth and mid-range richness. Together, these changes thicken up the sound nicely, and they also alleviate the treble peak, although that peak doesn't go away entirely. I've found that aftermarket copper cables add that last ingredient to taming the treble. I've got both a Forza Audioworks Noir HPC mk II cable, which is excellent, and a Norne Drausk, which is likewise excellent but more expensive (this reminds me, I need to sell one of them - I don't need both of them).

I'm not sure how many other amps out there do a better job with the HD 800 SDR than the Stratus. I say that as someone who hasn't heard many equivalent amps but as someone who's read a lot of impressions and advice about the HD 800 SDR. Good luck!

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #4,202 of 4,455
Lately I've been listening to my HD800 (SDR) w/ZMF Suede pads and I forgot how well it pairs with the Stratus. It's really special and I certainly recommend it.
I'm also fully on board with the HD800's synergy with the Stratus. Lately I've been listening to my HD800 (SDR) w/ZMF suede pads and I forgot how amazing that combo is. Can't recommend it enough. I use a Norne Draug 2 cable balanced, which I believe even Donald recommends over IEC. Certainly sounds better to me.

Feb 14, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #4,205 of 4,455
Lampizator Atlantic> Stratus AN (EML 2a3 S, USAF 596, 6n1p 58’)>atrium

What a fun combo! Just picked up this rectifier and first off I love that it’s built tough and rugged. The filament is super thick. Adapter from @Deyan. The eml solid plates are great. I sold my mesh plates and did some comparisons vs the solid to see if I would rebuy down the road again and I can say it’s a maybe. I like the solid plates more. They have a more fullness to the sound. Lots of deep bass. Soundstage is big. Adds dimensions to the instruments and heavier projections.

The mesh seemed thinner in the bass. The instruments have a really nice transparency to them. Little details seem to have more of a shimmer or texture. Very clean and airy. Huge soundstage. I don’t know how to describe it better but the solid and mesh have different projections of sound. How a voice or instrument sounds like it moves forward or out from where it starts. I just don’t know how to put each difference in words beyond this.

Still, it’s like splitting hairs and most of these differences don’t stand front and center when I’m not a/b’ing. Both EMLs are wonderful and amazing to live with. I’d say there is a 5-10% difference between the two and I’d say most people will like one or the other with neither being a big majority.

Attachments

• 2FAE2945-87E9-4BD1-992C-4CA0BCEB5CB7.jpeg
    2FAE2945-87E9-4BD1-992C-4CA0BCEB5CB7.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #4,206 of 4,455
Just got my notice from Donald and sent in the check for the remainder, so Stratus should be on its way shortly - how exciting!!

Feb 28, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #4,207 of 4,455
Just got my notice from Donald and sent in the check for the remainder, so Stratus should be on its way shortly - how exciting!!
Congrats, waiting for mine which should be ready by April/May according to Donald.

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #4,209 of 4,455
Grats on the purchase. Will be nice to hear your thoughts and comparison against your Studio B assuming you still have it. Even the Starlett compares favorably despite having noticeable differences in overall technicalities so Stratus is likely a better comparison price wise. What headphones are you planning to use it with?

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #4,210 of 4,455
Grats on the purchase. Will be nice to hear your thoughts and comparison against your Studio B assuming you still have it. Even the Starlett compares favorably despite having noticeable differences in overall technicalities so Stratus is likely a better comparison price wise. What headphones are you planning to use it with?
Yes indeed, still have the Eddie Current Studio B - those WE 300B tubes are a serious upgrade over JJ or Gold Lion or other lower-priced ones; it's like moving up to a more expensive model, even though EC just has the one right now.

Now I'll have another great one to add to the stable - I've still got my Focal Utopias which should sound great with it, and as my Susvaras sound terrific on the EC since I upgraded the tubes, and I saw one video review of the Stratus and that fellow quite liked how the Susvaras sounded on it, so I'm looking forward to checking that out! And I'm also upgrading my 2-channel speakers, but that's another story...

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #4,212 of 4,455
Yes indeed, still have the Eddie Current Studio B - those WE 300B tubes are a serious upgrade over JJ or Gold Lion or other lower-priced ones; it's like moving up to a more expensive model, even though EC just has the one right now.

Now I'll have another great one to add to the stable - I've still got my Focal Utopias which should sound great with it, and as my Susvaras sound terrific on the EC since I upgraded the tubes, and I saw one video review of the Stratus and that fellow quite liked how the Susvaras sounded on it, so I'm looking forward to checking that out! And I'm also upgrading my 2-channel speakers, but that's another story...
Really look forward to hearing your impression of Susvara with Stratus. Can you link the video review you mentioned?

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #4,213 of 4,455
Really look forward to hearing your impression of Susvara with Stratus. Can you link the video review you mentioned?
Sure! Here you go...

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #4,215 of 4,455

I also enjoy my Susvara on my DNA amp. I've read elsewhere that others don't think the combination brings out the best in either but I respectfully disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back