DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jul 16, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #4,141 of 4,456
New (3rd) owner of Stratus v.2 serial number #44. Just getting to grip with the stock tubes for now but I'm very much enjoying what I'm hearing. I appreciate this very informative thread!

Attachments

• 20220716_123836.jpg
    20220716_123836.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 20, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #4,144 of 4,456
HD 650 and HD800. Just playing the tube game now and getting a collection to try. Waiting on LinLai E2A3, Ken Rad Rectifier and a number of various 6N1P tubes and alternatives. Will be fun!
I’ve been eyeing the LinLai 2A3 for some time but never pulled the trigger on them. Would like to hear how you like them.

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #4,145 of 4,456
I’ve been eyeing the LinLai 2A3 for some time but never pulled the trigger on them. Would like to hear how you like them.
Very much enjoying the LinLai E-2A3 and they are here to stay. Compared to stock (even cold with no hours on them) they provide a nice increase in overall resolution and clarity. Tighter bass, and more extended highs with less (no) sibilance or etch. Very clean tubes. 👌

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #4,146 of 4,456
Which LinLai tube did you get?

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #4,149 of 4,456
How's it going Stratus owners? I haven't read through the 272 pages of this thread, so I apologize if this question has been discussed and answered already.

For those that have heard both the Stratus with and without the Audio Note transformers, is it noticeable? Is it worth the 12-15 month wait for the new updated Stratus? I am in awe of this amp and want one in the near future.

Thanks and apologize if this has already been discussed. I will eventually read the entire thread.

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #4,150 of 4,456
How's it going Stratus owners? I haven't read through the 272 pages of this thread, so I apologize if this question has been discussed and answered already.

For those that have heard both the Stratus with and without the Audio Note transformers, is it noticeable? Is it worth the 12-15 month wait for the new updated Stratus? I am in awe of this amp and want one in the near future.

Thanks and apologize if this has already been discussed. I will eventually read the entire thread.
Hey Geoff,

Hope you’re well.

I have not heard both – just the Audio Note version, which I own.

But I wanted to say it might be a moot point since finding one used is quite difficult. Just three listed on here since June 2021 (the last one is the one I own):

Screenshot at Sep 06 15-53-38.png

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #4,151 of 4,456
Hey Geoff,

Hope you’re well.

I have not heard both – just the Audio Note version, which I own.

But I wanted to say it might be a moot point since finding one used is quite difficult. Just three listed on here since June 2021 (the last one is the one I own):

Screenshot at Sep 06 15-53-38.png
That is the best sign that an amp almost never goes up for sale. You are one lucky audio listener to own the Stratus with AN transformers. They are next level good along with the Trafomatic transformers. My Icon HP8 has pretty amazing hand wound transformers as well, but I long for a Stratus. Just trying to decide how hard to work on getting a pre AN Stratus or stick out the 12-15 month wait. Donald is buried, which tells me the amp is more than worth it! Good signs all around. Hope this finds you well...

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #4,152 of 4,456
That is the best sign that an amp almost never goes up for sale. You are one lucky audio listener to own the Stratus with AN transformers. They are next level good along with the Trafomatic transformers. My Icon HP8 has pretty amazing hand wound transformers as well, but I long for a Stratus. Just trying to decide how hard to work on getting a pre AN Stratus or stick out the 12-15 month wait. Donald is buried, which tells me the amp is more than worth it! Good signs all around. Hope this finds you well...
I sure do feel lucky.

What if you put a deposit down on a new one but kept your eye out for something used? I could totally be wrong, but maybe Donald would refund the deposit given the insane demand?

Of course that still doesn’t answer your question about how much better AN version is...

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #4,153 of 4,456
[grabs popcorn]

I'm in the same situation as geofalter11. Maybe someone with a pre-v4 wants to sell theirs and get a v4... if so, hmu :wink:

Sep 15, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #4,154 of 4,456
Dear DNA friends,

i'm looking for a new tubes setup that fit to HD800, my goal is to add body to the headphone.
I decided to continue investing in this headset given its enormous ability to scale. This feature has me nailed to this headset and I want to see how far she wants to go.
For your experience which combination have given to you more satisfaction?

Thanks

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #4,155 of 4,456
Dear DNA friends,

i'm looking for a new tubes setup that fit to HD800, my goal is to add body to the headphone.
I decided to continue investing in this headset given its enormous ability to scale. This feature has me nailed to this headset and I want to see how far she wants to go.
For your experience which combination have given to you more satisfaction?

Thanks

Hello,

That's probably a wise decision. I know I still have not out grown my HD800's!! One thing to consider is doing the French mod (or SuperDupont Resonator as it is also called). The next big thing you can do for your HD800's is hardwire them. The connectors are really bad and hardwiring makes a surprising difference.

As for amps... Well, you are in the the right place! Donald's amps are, in my experience, the very best. Deciding between the Stratus and Stellaris is really just a matter of cost...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back