DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 5, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #3,526 of 4,456
This is the way my Stratus was packed:

- Tube box went underneath the amp chassis in the small clearance between the bottom of the box and bottom of the chassis made by the left/right foam inserts. There were then two small rolls of bubble wrap placed on either side of the box to keep it from sliding around too much.
- The large cutout of the jig (at the bottom of the picture) went over the mains transformer. The jig sits perpendicular to the amp chassis, e.g. the thin end faces the top of the box.
- The chassis was wrapped in plastic before the left/right inserts were placed on either side of the amp.

Hope this helps!
Thanks very much...

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #3,529 of 4,456
Do you think you made it better than the latest "official" version of the Stratus through your upgrades?

I recently had the most recent upgrade and it is my understanding that it is now the same as the latest version of the Stratus and the last upgrade Donald has planned. I have had two prior upgrades but this one seems to move the Stratus to a noticeably higher level. I also wonder if Frihed89s improvement exceed the official upgrades.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #3,530 of 4,456
"Do you think you made it better than the latest "official" version of the Stratus through your upgrades?"

I have no idea. The only Stratus I have heard is my own. To my knowledge, there are no others in Denmark. Donald suggested all but one of the modifications - the AN Silver foill in oil coupling caps - but concurred in that choice.

I was very happy for the result and thankful for Donald's suggestions.

Here is what was changed:

1. change the coupling caps to Audio Note (UK) Silver foil in oil caps,
2. upgrade the 2A3 tube sockets to the highest grade of Audio Note (UK),
3. replaced the grid stopper resistors with AN(UK) silver, non-magnetic resistors,
4. replaced plate load resistors on driver tube with AN(UK) silver, non-magnetic resistors,
5. Replaced the cathode bypass caps on the 2A3 tubes with AN(UK) Kaisei 100V 100uf caps (non-polarized).

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #3,533 of 4,456
What do you mean? Will the Stratus never receive updates any more?
Were the previous updates planned then? I thought Donald learned things while building the Stellaris... who knows what the future brings :wink:
Correct, the current version of the Stratus incorporates knowledge learned while developing the Stellaris. While I currently believe this max I can take the Stratus without moving to a Stellaris, who knows the future...

Frihed89’s Stratus was a version 1 model with the upgrades he listed above. It could still benefit from the choke filtered filament supplies as version 2 and the latest grounding techniques of version 3.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #3,536 of 4,456
Correct, the current version of the Stratus incorporates knowledge learned while developing the Stellaris. While I currently believe this max I can take the Stratus without moving to a Stellaris, who knows the future...

Frihed89’s Stratus was a version 1 model with the upgrades he listed above. It could still benefit from the choke filtered filament supplies as version 2 and the latest grounding techniques of version 3.

Hi Donald,

Can you describe what the latest grounding techniques of version 3 improve in technical terms and what differences you personally notice in the sound?

Also curious to hear your opinion on the sound post-upgrade @auricgoldfinger

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #3,539 of 4,456
If anyone is on the fence about upgrading to version 3, I highly encourage you to do so. You won't be disappointed.

Definitely agree but considering the upgrades make the Stratus leading toward more neutrality and reference sound i see how some people could be disappointed to loose a good chunck of tube bloominess. In my humble opinion.

I'm personally extremely happy with this upgrade honestly.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,540 of 4,456
Definitely agree but considering the upgrades make the Stratus leading toward more neutrality and reference sound i see how some people could be disappointed to loose a good chunck of tube bloominess. In my humble opinion.

I'm personally extremely happy with this upgrade honestly.

I agree. That's a good way of characterizing the upgrade/no upgrade decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back