DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jul 23, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,942 of 4,456
Will be rotating stock 61NP, Cryoset, and an RCA 6BQ7A I found in drheadphones' goody box. Plus, the black-bottled 2A3s should arrive today. With three headphones, that ought to drive me nuts all day.

You betcha!

I somewhat recently purchased a pair of HEK and after a lot of experimentation with my tube inventory, I find that the KR Audio 2A3 are the best power tubes in my possession for them.  I can also confidently state that they are very solid performers for virtually every headphone that I plug into the Stratus, whereas the other 2A3s that I own are great with certain headphones, but not so great with others.

They are the most neutral and resolving 2A3s that I have heard to date, but at $775 a pair, they certainly don't come cheap.

IMO, the Shuguang Nature Sound 2A3s are a step up from the stock configuration when paired with the HD800.

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,943 of 4,456
^vc1187

I enjoy using the Psvane WE275 as 2A3s in my Stratus with the HD800 headphones, a tube that froger introduced us to in this thread a while back. I had used the Shuguang 2A3T-C Natural Sound tubes before these. But I haven't heard the KRs. Have you compared the KRs to the WE275 tubes, by any chance?

thanks
Bud 

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #2,945 of 4,456
  ^vc1187

I enjoy using the Psvane WE275 as 2A3s in my Stratus with the HD800 headphones, a tube that froger introduced us to in this thread a while back. I had used the Shuguang 2A3T-C Natural Sound tubes before these. But I haven't heard the KRs. Have you compared the KRs to the WE275 tubes, by any chance?

thanks
Bud 

Unfortunately, I haven't purchased or had a chance to hear the Psvane WE275, but I don't doubt that they sound fantastic with the HD800.  If or when I have the opportunity to hear the WE275, I'll post some impressions of it compared to the KRs.

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #2,946 of 4,456
KR audio 2A3s are very transparent and detailed and match HE1000 really well. With the HD800, I still prefer WE275 as they make HD800 less analytical and more enjoyable. But if you are looking for the most detailed and transparent presentation, then KR audio 2a3 and HD800 is the way to go!

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #2,949 of 4,456
Stratus S/N #54 arrived yesterday. Two hours of listening thus far and (happily for me) I'm not disappointed. Seems I'm a member of the club now.
beerchug.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #2,951 of 4,456
Stellaris in the near future though, right?
With that in mind, you can't be too sad
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe.  Honestly, my HD800 listening has been to a minimum as of late.  I've been addicted to another rig so I'm not sure if I really need a Stellaris anymore (not that anyone 'needs' a Stellairs!).

I've actually been very quickly downsizing.  I guess I still haven't made a firm decision.

The Stratus, for me, however, represents when headphone listening really became viable for me.  It is so good that, once it entered my system, I could abandon my desire for a speaker listening setup.

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #2,952 of 4,456
Finally! You had a very long wait time, and I'm glad it's finally over

Thks. 

It's indeed the end of a long journey hopefully.  the Rig i spent the more time with thus far is a HD800/Sonett/Metrum Octave . I enjoyed music during one year with that combo. but the upgrade itch came back so I sold my Sonett and my Octave , bought a totaldac A1 and ordered the Stratus. the A1 has gone quickly , replaced by my current Theta DS pro Gen Va.
Hopefully, I think I'm close to my endgame HD800 rig. Time will tell but I see so many people here who bought the Stratus and never changed that I'm pretty confident.
beerchug.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #2,953 of 4,456
I have a suspicion I'm next on the delivery list. I can't can't way to hear the HEK and HD800(I have to thank Sorrodje for the superdupont mod) on the Stratus. I have already acquired a large sample of 6BQ7A/6N1P(including the triple mica version) and 5U4G. I almost bough a pair of mono plate Fivre 2A3 but in the end I decided to go with new production for the power tube. I already have a pair of fishing pole and dual flat plate 2A3 Sylvania tubes to play with. It will be interesting to see if I prefer the old or new production tubes. So far Donald has been very helpful in answering all my questions.

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #2,954 of 4,456
As I look around this thread, I see more posts about tubes and headphones than I do the Stratus.  In fact, posts (never mind, threads) about headphones on head-fi.org dominate those about amplifiers.  Even Dacs get more attention than amps.  Does anyone else find this odd, or maybe interesting?  I am at a loss to explain it....unless all amps sound the same, but headphones don't.

The tube posts, at least with reference to the Stratus are right-on, IMO.  But, in my experience, the rectifier makes as much, or even more, difference to the sonics than the power tubes.  Moreover, moving to a "higher grade" 5U4G type improves the sonics no matter what power tubes you are using. If I were a new buyer and wanted to spend some extra cash on tubes, I'd roll into a better rectifier, before I started to buy new power tubes.  

Now let me get back to headphones. If one reads a sampling of the headphone posts on this thread, one thing stands out: many flagship headphones are fussy, fussy about amplifiers and fussy about tubes. A lot of you report that. What I don't see reported very often (if at all) is how many of these flagship headphones have users tried in their systems before they settled on one that worked for them?  

So, I have a radical idea.  Before people go out and plunk down $1000+ plus on the best-ever headphone, why not look for headphones that a) sound good no matter what combination of tubes you use or upgrades you make to caps, resistors, etc. and b) sound better to you (not worse) with better tubes and appropriate upgrades? Basically, what I am suggesting is that this process of tube, parts, and headphones doesn't have to be entirely a random walk, with learning in-between steps.

The first headphone amp I owned was a Single Power MPX-3 + goodies.  It was a wonderful-sounding amp. and I only sold it to buy the Stratus.  I started with a pair of HD650s and added K701s when they came out.  No matter what combination of tubes I used on that amp, no matter how many caps and resistors I replaced,  they always sounded better.  The same was true of my Blue Circle SBH, to which I added a custom power supply, cap pack and then main unit, the sound from these amps never changed in character, but just sounded better.  I also have a headphone amp adapter from Blue Circle to use with my tube SET and PP amps (5 of them!) and had the same experience.  This was not true of the HD800 or the Audeze LCD-2, which both proved to be exceptionally fussy.  Nor was it true of the newer Hifiman headphones I tried.  They were all over the place.  

Recently, my beloved K701s fell apart from extended use and i snagged a used pair of K7XX headphones.  They are basically K701s with exaggerated bass and a bit wider sound-stage/channel separation.  They also are not fussy.  The same for my new HD650s.

Luck (good and bad) and common sense got me here.  The common sense part was not starting at the top of the headphone price ladder.  The good luck part was finding headphones that appealed to my range of sonic preferences and weren't fussy. The bad luck part was buying spending  $2500 on headphones before I was able to try them in my system for an extended period.  And there also something (a lot of something) to be said for improving the sonics at the amplifier end of the chain, before "rolling" headphones, something I learned from my bad luck experiences with the HD800s and the Audeze LDC-2.

In summary, to new buyers:
1.  Don't buy anything or change anything internally before you have owned the Stratus long enough to break it in and learn its sonics.
2.  If you have a pair of headphones you already love, stick with them for a while.  You'll probably love them on the Stratus.  
3.  Roll the rectifier, first (even if it costs $500-$1,000), and listen on your old headphones for sonic differences.  Hopefully, you will hear the differences, and they will be better.
4. The same holds true for changing amplifier parts.
5.  If your old headphones + tube rolling, etc. doesn't get you what you want, then beware.
6.  If ,you can't audition new headphones in your system, you may get lucky, but (again) beware of reviews.  A recent Stereophile review raved about the newest Audeze cans, but already some listeners call them fatiguing!

The Stratus is an excellent amplifier, stock.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back