DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 8, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #2,193 of 4,456
Have only heard good things about Donald and his designs. The pity is I live approx 1,500 km from Melbourne, otherwise I would be keen for a "mini-meet", jsgraha. I may have to just take a leap of faith.

btw, what upgrades did you have done?

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #2,194 of 4,456
Have only heard good things about Donald and his designs. The pity is I live approx 1,500 km from Melbourne, otherwise I would be keen for a "mini-meet", jsgraha. I may have to just take a leap of faith.

I don't know if there are better amps for the HD800's than the Stratus.  Different, sure.  But I have yet to hear better.  It may be a leap of faith buying one un-heard, but it's a pretty safe leap 
wink_face.gif

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #2,196 of 4,456

Mirroring bigfatpaulie, the pairing with hd800 is GREAT, even on stock form.

My amp was 2 years old, one of the first generation. So in order to take a full advantage of current design, I decided to upgrade it to current design. When you buy the amp new, the upgrade which I just had, will be included on the new amp.

If you happen in Melbourne, please feel free to pm me as well.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #2,197 of 4,456
Went to Uni in Melbourne and have friends there I should catch up with some time. Would be great to discuss your experiences face to face. Can't see this happening any time soon, though.

Your help (the help of you all) is much appreciated.

Out of interest, how does the Stratus fare with W3000ANV, TH900 & LCD3? I found the W3000ANV to be quite sibilant driven by my Yammy, and wondered if it was an amp issue, an inherent problem with these phones, or whether the synergy just wasn't quite right.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #2,198 of 4,456
  Does this (fantastic looking) amp sound good the way it comes or will I need to buy more tubes? No offense to Donald. I'm sure he put's every bit of SET magic into it he can. My headphones are HD800's. They sound very neutral.

"Need to buy more tubes"?  Absolutely not.  The amp sounds simply lovely with the stock tubes.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #2,199 of 4,456
Out of interest, how does the Stratus fare with W3000ANV, TH900 & LCD3? I found the W3000ANV to be quite sibilant driven by my Yammy, and wondered if it was an amp issue, an inherent problem with these phones, or whether the synergy just wasn't quite right.

If the stratus fare with the TH900 as well as the Sonett does, it will be a match made in heaven.

I think I should unsubscribe of this thread for the safety of my wallet and my bank account .... the safety of my mind too .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back