DNA Sonett Review
May 7, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #346 of 661

Quote:
Sonett is in house, connected up and burning in.  

I love the exterior quality and aesthetics of the Sonett, and yes Clayton SF, I find the Sonett blue to be a very pleasing reminder of the ocean and sky. 

The ordering process was enjoyable, the Sonett was well boxed and undamaged, and it arrived right on schedule according the quote of a one month waiting time.

Listened to a couple of CDs straight out, no warm up and about halfway through the first disc I'll have to say that I was pretty impressed. We'll see how things go, as the plan is to stay with the stock tubes for the next 2-3 weeks, and there is a NOS set ready to go.

Howdy pigmode

I noticed that you said you were pretty impressed.  I was wondering what you were using prior to the Sonett?

USG

May 7, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #348 of 661
I've had my Sonett with balanced outputs driving my HD800s for about one month now and it sounds fantastic. The Sonett is dead quiet and I am impressed. I just bought Alison Krauss' " Paper Airplane" and what a phenominal recording and the instruments just float, but her voice, as my wife says, sounds just like an angel.

May 7, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #349 of 661

Quote:
Howdy pigmode

I noticed that you said you were pretty impressed.  I was wondering what you were using prior to the Sonett?

USG

As the story goes I took a complete 5 yr time out from audio, and picked up a Yamamoto HA-02 near the end of 2010. Much has changed, especially in terms of audio dialogue. My current equipment includes the Modwright external PSU and tube analog stage/Oppo BDP-83 and an HD600. Almost the whole dirt on a career in mid-fi audio is in my profile :wink:.

For me the Yamamoto absolutely excelled in tonality, but failed in terms of dynamics. 

Clayton SF, 
Classy set up! Nice to see 47 Labs stepping up to the plate :thumbsup:.

May 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #350 of 661
Hey pigmode, I see that you have the Audio-gd NFB-3. Are you pairing it with the Sonett? I've commenced the search for a DAC in earnest and both the NFB-3 / NFB-2 stand out as excellent performers at their respective price points. Any thoughts?

May 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #351 of 661
Rdr. Seraphim,

Have you found the steps on the Khozmo to be close enought together that you are able to get a suitable volume on any phone? Do you remember the value of the Vishay Z-Foil resistors? I know the Khozmo is 50K ohms but I don't know what the value of the resistor should be. Have you found the Khozmo to be any easier to turn after using it for a while?

Thanks 

May 8, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #352 of 661
Anyone here tried out the LCD-2's with the Sonett?
I've head one person saying listening levels weren't all there.
If this is the case I hope Donald will "juice it up" with the next amp so it will work perfectly with my headphones of choice.

May 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #354 of 661
The 48 steps on the Khozmo are an ideal match for the Sonett. The first 12 steps are -2db increments, thereafter -1db. I picked up the 50K version, and substituted the 47K Naked Vishay from Parts Connexion. Per Donald, it's close enough. (See my photos for installation.) 

I "think" the pot has loosened up, but I could have also gotten used to it. The hefty Audio Note knob KNOBS-74250,  also from Parts Connexion, provides some additional rotational mass, which helps. 

While the stock Khozmo is excellent, swapping in the Naked Vishay's is a revelation.

Best of luck! 

Quote:
Rdr. Seraphim,

Have you found the steps on the Khozmo to be close enought together that you are able to get a suitable volume on any phone? Do you remember the value of the Vishay Z-Foil resistors? I know the Khozmo is 50K ohms but I don't know what the value of the resistor should be. Have you found the Khozmo to be any easier to turn after using it for a while?

Thanks 

May 9, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #355 of 661
My 2A3 amp under development is specifically designed for low efficiency headphones like the K1000, HE5/HE-6, and LCD-2.

Quote:
Anyone here tried out the LCD-2's with the Sonett?
I've head one person saying listening levels weren't all there.
If this is the case I hope Donald will "juice it up" with the next amp so it will work perfectly with my headphones of choice.

May 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #357 of 661
Just tried the LCD-2's with my Sonett and below are some very brief impressions.

Reference amp: CEntrance DACmini (SS)
Source: iPod + Algorythm Solo
Music: The Dark Knight OST

Volume: I normally listen to my HD800's with the volume knob set between 3 and 4 (with impedance set to "IEC"). To achieve similar levels with the LCD-2's, I have to turn the knob to 5-6 (with impedance set to "Low")

Bass: The DACmini had a tighter grip by a wide margin. In contrast, the bass was a bit muddy and not as snappy with the Sonett.

Soundstage and Imaging: The DACmini won again. Soundstage was a bit wider and there's more air between instruments. The sound was also more focused.

Transparency: Another +1 for the DACmini

That's it for now. Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S.: My Sonett is equipped with a brand new 6H30P-DR so l'll report back in a week or two if there's any change in sound.

May 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #358 of 661
That's really disappointing. It doesn't make sense though -_-
The sonett is much pricier!!

Quote:
Just tried the LCD-2's with my Sonett and below are some very brief impressions.

Reference amp: CEntrance DACmini (SS)
Source: iPod + Algorythm Solo
Music: The Dark Knight OST

Volume: I normally listen to my HD800's with the volume knob set between 3 and 4 (with impedance set to "IEC"). To achieve similar levels with the LCD-2's, I have to turn the knob to 5-6 (with impedance set to "Low")

Bass: The DACmini had a tighter grip by a wide margin. In contrast, the bass was a bit muddy and not as snappy with the Sonett.

Soundstage and Imaging: The DACmini won again. Soundstage was a bit wider and there's more air between instruments. The sound was also more focused.

Transparency: Another +1 for the DACmini

That's it for now. Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S.: My Sonett is equipped with a brand new 6H30P-DR so l'll report back in a week or two if there's any change in sound.

May 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #359 of 661
Well it's only the inefficient planars that the Sonett has trouble driving.
The Sonett can drive the HD800's, DT770's and JH13's beautifully. I haven't tried the HD800's with my DACmini yet but I suspect the Sonett might be the better amp for the Senns.

May 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #360 of 661
Please do try, As i'm about to purchase the balanced version.
Erghh, I couldn't spend 2700$ on a Saffire Liquid fire right?!
haha. I'm so crazy I have to settle for a sonett. even if it doesn't sound as good as I hoped, it's still a nice looking product to decorate the house. yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back