DNA Sonett Review
Aug 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #616 of 661
Quote:
Just heard the Sonnet 2 at todays LA meetup. I had my LCD2s with me, so I plugged them in listened to a track from 'In Rainbows' and immediately realized my savings account would be depleted soon.

I listened to the Stratus as well, which is a beautiful piece of gear. Donald mentioned that some of the ideas he had for the Stratus, he had implemented into the Sonnet 2.

I'll be putting my order in.

Well said, and well chosen. Happy Listening!

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #618 of 661
Quote:
Any news on the Sonett 2? When will the first batch ship and how long will the wait be if an order is placed now?

October is when he starts I believe. The chassis are being made now. I am thinking of putting my money down for one but will sit and think on making a choice this weekend. It's either this or a SAC Thailand Minute 300b for $2k. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #619 of 661
I was saving myself for the Stratus. The Sonett 2 will have to settle. 
biggrin.gif

Thank you Donald. When does pre-order begin?

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #620 of 661
The order list for the Sonett 2 has already begun. The chassis are with the powder coater. Once they're done, I will start building them.
Quote:
I was saving myself for the Stratus. The Sonett 2 will have to settle. 
biggrin.gif

Thank you Donald. When does pre-order begin?

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #622 of 661
The Sonett 2 uses a new chassis layout to accommodate the second 6H30 in addition to new power transformer, filter choke, etc. Unfortunately, it's not possible to upgrade an original Sonett to the Sonett 2.

However, I will offer a $200 "thank you" loyalty discount to original Sonett customers who wish to purchase a Sonett 2.
Quote:
Is it possible to have a used Sonett upgraded to a Sonett 2? Would that be worthwhile?

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #624 of 661
I am considering offering this option. Is this something you would like?
Quote:
Donald, will the tkd pot be offered as an option on sonett 2?

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #626 of 661
Yeah, Donald upgrades are always a welcome option.  I imagine most will likely get it.  It goes with the theme of different/better caps in the Sonett 2.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #627 of 661
Yes, the TKD is a nice improvement over the blue Alps with better clarity and resolution.
Quote:
Yes, I would be interested, if you think it would be an improvement over the alps. I've never actually tried the tkd so I would be interested in your opinion.

Thanks for these comments. I'll go ahead and offer it as a $100 option (like I do on the Stratus) when people order the amplifier.
Quote:
Yeah, Donald upgrades are always a welcome option.  I imagine most will likely get it.  It goes with the theme of different/better caps in the Sonett 2.

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #628 of 661
upgrading the Alps pot to a TKD is very worthwhile. I compared the before directly with the after in my Sonett, and it made the sound clearer, less congested and the transients crisper with better decay. IMO, it's a "no-brainer".

Donald, I'm wondering about modifying the Sonett so that it could be used as a pre-amplifier. Can that be done in a rather straightforward manner? How? or would the output transformers need to be replaced in order to bring the output impedance up to 10K?

thanks

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #629 of 661
I have not tried it myself but believe the stock Sonett could be used as a single source preamp using the headphone output to drive the input of a power amplifier. Keep in mind the added gain is only 6dB.

Quote:
Donald, I'm wondering about modifying the Sonett so that it could be used as a pre-amplifier. Can that be done in a rather straightforward manner? How? or would the output transformers need to be replaced in order to bring the output impedance up to 10K?

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #630 of 661
Thanks, Donald. In this instance, I'm thinking more of it serving as an attenuator /  volume control.
All I need to do then is make a high-quality i/c with a 1/4" male phono plug on one end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back