DMS Project Omega - Now Available for Pre-Order
Apr 14, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #31 of 59
On a lighter note, I am very much looking forward to the release of the DMS Omega, I have heard many other headphones that use this driver as well as worked with it a bit myself, and this may be my favorite implementation of it so far. The approach towards a headphone that is durable yet highly comfortable, while being fairly accessible to people who have similar preferences aligns with my own, and I think that the decision to open source the design later on for people to take a crack at it themselves is very admirable. I think it's great for people to be able to personalize and explore a product in order to find their sound, and is one of the reasons why this hobby is as fun as it is. As a fellow community member and friend, I am proud of DMS and his achievement, and I look forward to getting my hands on an Omega myself to hear (and paint) it for myself. :ksc75smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #32 of 59
1713117788185.png

This looks good, hopefully it sounds good too. After all, isn't this what ultimately matters and is worth talking about?

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #33 of 59
Hey there! Will it be at High End Munich too? :)
Yeah this would be nice to able to give them a listen or buy them at the HighEnd this year.
For the EU fans its not possible to get these, or will headphones.com ship to europe?

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #34 of 59
Yeah this would be nice to able to give them a listen or buy them at the HighEnd this year.
For the EU fans its not possible to get these, or will headphones.com ship to europe?
Yup shipping is available to most countries in Europe at the moment on Project Omega!

There likely will not be a unit in Munich this year unfortunately as DMS is currently building units for review. The pair he had at CanJam Socal was slightly different from the production unit a change to the headband and some other tweaks.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #35 of 59
Super stoked to hear these. It can be very challenging to scale up a passion project; major congrats to DMS for not only making an appealing product, but also manufacturing more than one. Being willing to also open source your hard work is such a massive positive gesture to the community.

So stoked. Great job 🙏

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #36 of 59
Very excited to hear everyone's impressions of these. Great job DMS and I hope that you have great success!

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #37 of 59
Congratulations on launching these and way to go in putting in the effort, DMS! I pre-ordered a pair, as my dailies are still my HD580's that I bought in 1996—despite having a slew of headphones rotate through my setups. The Omega's could just be the slight flavor shift that I'm looking for. Regardless, the appreciation for what you do is worth buying blind. Thank you!

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #40 of 59
Anyone can buy a driver and put it an ear cup.
Hold my beer, and I'll DEFINITELY prove you wrong on that count. :grin: I, sir, am not even always successful changing ear pads. :sweat_smile: :beerchug:

DMS is one of my favorite headphone personalities -- I've followed him since before his Abyss days much less his Headphones.com era -- eminently decent human being and great content creator.

I am hoping to hear some of these OmegaPhones at a CanJam in the future.

Is DMS going to include a signed cert of authenticity? That would be kind of cool...

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #41 of 59
I use the Sennheiser HD 600 quite a lot, did not enjoy the 650, the Omega is more based on the 6XX, which I have never heard.
Is the 6XX (and therefore the Omega) closer to the 650 or the 600?

Apr 15, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #42 of 59
I use the Sennheiser HD 600 quite a lot, did not enjoy the 650, the Omega is more based on the 6XX, which I have never heard.

You are overthinking things. That was more a way for us to understand the FR.

The Omega is not a complete diffuse field tilt like the hd600 (with less subbass and less lower-mids).

But don't think of it being as actually being based of the hd650/6xx. Instead just know that the Omega has some subbass/bass/lower-mids, and thus will likely push the lower deep vocals of people talking. And won't feel like it has an obvious airy/crispy tilt.

That is how I took that statement. Instruments and vocals may be perceived as sharing the same space.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #44 of 59
I would actually equate Omega to be most similar in the midrange and treble to the older HD 600 revisions (or the HD 580 Precision) using the black paper baffle.

In the midrange it's leaner and drier than the HD 650, while a little brighter up top too. So if you're the kind of person who found HD 650's mids a little congested or found it to have what some call the "Sennheiser veil," Omega may just be a good fit for you.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back