DIY Woody Grado/Symphones Magnums - A build diary
Sep 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #16 of 128
Quote:
Took these with my tablet immediately after finishing with the second one, it was noticably browner to start with and has faded (if that's the right word) to that reddish purple since.

dude, that is so bizarre.

purplewood will fade from purple to brown, given time.. and your wood fades from brown to purple? I have never heard of that.

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #21 of 128
My speakers have Padauk wood trim that looks similar, starts out purple-ish and fades to a brown-ish color. Maybe?

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #22 of 128
Quote:
My speakers have Padauk wood trim that looks similar, starts out purple-ish and fades to a brown-ish color. Maybe?

Dunno, when i was turning them they were brown, and now they aren't.

Here's a high res pic with my RS1s (circa 1999/2000 i think) and a piece of mahogany for reference.  Taken in diffuse daylight, overcast day.

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #24 of 128
Quote:
They look a bit bigger than your RS1's.

I think that's an optical illusion caused by the distance to the camera, they're ever so slightly smaller in diameter at the thick (outer) end, and the same size on the inner end.  The only bigger dimension is length, but they'll get a bit shorter as the 'face' needs to be shaped and finished.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #26 of 128
A wood lathe would probably be a better idea right now, i'm using a hobby metal lathe and the going is slow. And to answer your question, no ... but that would be really helpful. A cnc machine would be nice too, but how much does one spend to make a single pair of headphones? :p I might still have to get a wood lathe, as I've been having trouble re-mounting in the chuck squarely. I finally managed to drill out part of this inside of one cup with a forstner drill bit, which has allowed me to mount using the inside of the chuck, and remove the central bolt. Work is a bit slow tomorrow so i might be able to crack on.

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #29 of 128
Ok then, time for an update.

I got some decent sandpaper and incrementally went up the grit to see what the wood would look like, i think i stopped at 300 ish and it was pretty smooth...

I think i was a little premature in doing so, but more on that in a bit.  As you can see i started to lathe out the innards of the outside end, but it was taking forever so i went out and got a 32mm wood drill and made a bigger hole, but don't seem to have a photo of that, so just imagine a big hole in the end there.

For the other end, and as it needs to create a flat lip on the inside (where the mesh will eventually be stuck) i have a 43mm forstner drill bit, which is designed to make flat bottomed holes.

This allowed me to mount the cup on the lathe chuck directly, something that with hindsight i should have done in the first place, but i didn't have the forstner but until this week.

And mounted from the other end, working on the part of the cup that will hold the driver in place.  It needs to have a ridge as the driver is stepped slightly (see pic earlier in the thread).

Once i had the dimensions right on the inside of both ends i hollowed out the centre with the drill bit first then the forstner, as it kept trying to spin out of the clamp.  I had quite a job getting them held firm in the drill press, as i didn't want to crush the more or less finished outer surface, but still needed a good grip to stop them from spinning (which happened a few times).  Next time i do this (har har) i'll hollow out the centre first, then i can mount direct on the lathe in the same place every time, plus i can grip onto unfinished wood so it shoudn't move so much.  One of the problems i had today was getting it mounted in perfect alignment on the lathe, as i've used various methods throughout the build, and it has cost some accuracy (one cup is a bit off centre).  If i drilled out first i would have had a better base line to work from.  One other problem is that i think the wood warped slightly when i hollowed it out, either from pressure or heat or both, so the perfectly round driver ends are now oval to the point that the drivers don't fit so easily.  There's a saying that's along the lines of, 'experience is something you gain after you needed it most', and this build has proven the point to me on several occasions.

Anyway, i digress, here are the two cups...

Test fitting the driver (well, the test fit was before i hollowed out the inside and it was perfect, this was a bit of a struggle since the opening is now a bit oval) ...

If i'm perfectly honest with myself i'm not totally happy with how these have come out, they're slightly different sizes, and one is not as well centred as the other, and with the experience of making these two i know i can do better so i might start over.  I'll probably drill out mounting holes in these so i can fit them into a headband and wire up the drivers so i can have a listen, but i have a feeling that they might become the working prototypes for a (hopefully) much better built pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back