DIY Ground Box Thread
Dec 9, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,291 of 1,771
I was asked to type a report about how I made the AC line filtering with rochelle salt work with the outlets I use, so here it is. In my house the outlets look like this on the inside...
1702136850003.png

This brand (NIKO) is sold in Belgium and possibly in other European countries. Other brands possibly use the same configuration.
Hot, neutral and ground are all connected on top. What I did is place a 1 gram bag of rochelle salt in the faceplate where the hot wire is just like @cdacosta does on the American outlets. When I say a 1 gram bag I mean the total amount bag+salt. So 0,66 gram (weight bag) + 0,34 gram (weight salt) (approx.). These outlets all have to be unscrewed from the wall to check how the wires are running in the socket. It is important because you will use the wires themselves to tune your sound. Here are some pictures to clarify...

1702137736557.png
1702137820393.png

This is a different kind of receptacle which is mounted on top of a wooden board but the principle stays the same. In my case the hot wire is on the left. What you have to do is to make a wire configuration like the picture on the right. The neutral wire really has to pushed as far away from the salt as possible. The hot wire should be close and the ground wire can be pushed as close to or as far from the salt as you need to tune. I now have treated all my sockets and switches and I do not have the feeling I need an extra bag just for the ground wire. Just push the ground wire(s) closer to the hot wire if you need more warmth.
The same goes for light switches of this kind, same principle. I did not treat the ground wire(s) of these light switches separately.
I feel this is the best approach for these kind of receptacles /switches and works very well in my home. I did not have success with placing the salt directly on the conductors. What I hear is a resolution upgrade. I hear more details and less harshness with each and every few installs that were added.

Dec 9, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,292 of 1,771
I notice one or more sorbothane feet are not touching the surface they are supposed to be on. The ground boxes really should have a stable underground to offer maximum performance. Have you tried placing it directly on the floor?
All four sorbothane feet are well in contact withe small platform. This is a temporary set up . My first picture was not good .F353AAE8-13A2-40F7-AB89-74F382B747D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #1,293 of 1,771
Maybe a more detailed feedback :

- What I did heard with the Furutech nano on speaker cable is clearly a more dynamic sound , better bass , and somewhat better image , transparency improved a little .
This is clearly the sign of a better conductiviTy at contact points and to a lesser extent reduction of noise .
- For the ground box , transparency first was improved then stereo image and to a lesser extent the other criteria . I think that the ground box is more effective to reduce unwanted noise .
Any how this Furutech nano is great product and looking for your comments on improving my gb .

* Where does your dedicated audio AC line breaker terminate? At the breaker panel with your other circuit breakers? And lastly how long is the run from breaker to the system's AC outlets?
Yes at the breaker panel with other circuit breaker . The run form the dedicated audio circuit breaker to my ac audio is about 7 meter long .
Now that you have already heard what Furutech Nano Liquid does for mechanical connections. The first thing I would do if I were you is treat all mechanical connections. This would include inside components and PC/server if you use one. All mechanical contacts including all hard drive/SSD cables, molex plugs, power plugs, if the mechanical connections comes apart, treat it. SSD cables treated with Nano Liquid is a very nice upgrade. Not that it matters at this point, but what Nano Liquid does for the mechanical connection is not what most people think. Their factory description is vague. I have written at great length on this topic so will not repeat it now. What is important for optimal system performance, if someone has Furutech Nano Liquid is treat everything they can. This is the first step to ensure one level of noise at mechanical connection points are not masking data. Here are a few off the top of my head suggestions for locations at where to treat with Nano Liquid not mentioned above. Which you may or may not of thought of:

* System AC outlets and wiring conductors, including inside power line conditioners. For safety, will need to shut off power at circuit breaker for this one.

* Inside the RCA connector and at connection point at the component for ground box. While you are doing this, the twist of the two 6N wires, twist the wires to be more consistent like when it comes out of the box.

* Internet based wiring connections including at the wall (original source), router and modem.

* If you have DIY or access to inside power cables connectors, the connectors and contacts inside the power cables. This is what Furutech does for many of their cables.

You should get the gist by now of what I mean by treat everything.

The ground box is so much more complicated to break down. I would have to know the exact composition of the mineral mix to start. The Magnetite you are using I have never used inside a ground box. There are some tests you can do to determine how effective they are in a ground box application. So after you have treated your whole system with Nano Liquid, I will share with you how to optimize the ground box, assuming you plan to build more.

I am also curious about the dedicated AC system line. The rest of the home wiring in your home picks up a lot of noise. I wonder how much the rest of the home wiring is effecting the dedicated line since it all terminates at the same junction area. This can be tested later.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,294 of 1,771
Now that you have already heard what Furutech Nano Liquid does for mechanical connections. The first thing I would do if I were you is treat all mechanical connections. This would include inside components and PC/server if you use one. All mechanical contacts including all hard drive/SSD cables, molex plugs, power plugs, if the mechanical connections comes apart, treat it. SSD cables treated with Nano Liquid is a very nice upgrade. Not that it matters at this point, but what Nano Liquid does for the mechanical connection is not what most people think. Their factory description is vague. I have written at great length on this topic so will not repeat it now. What is important for optimal system performance, if someone has Furutech Nano Liquid is treat everything they can. This is the first step to ensure one level of noise at mechanical connection points are not masking data. Here are a few off the top of my head suggestions for locations at where to treat with Nano Liquid not mentioned above. Which you may or may not of thought of:

* System AC outlets and wiring conductors, including inside power line conditioners. For safety, will need to shut off power at circuit breaker for this one.

* Inside the RCA connector and at connection point at the component for ground box. While you are doing this, the twist of the two 6N wires, twist the wires to be more consistent like when it comes out of the box.

* Internet based wiring connections including at the wall (original source), router and modem.

* If you have DIY or access to inside power cables connectors, the connectors and contacts inside the power cables. This is what Furutech does for many of their cables.

You should get the gist by now of what I mean by treat everything.

The ground box is so much more complicated to break down. I would have to know the exact composition of the mineral mix to start. The Magnetite you are using I have never used inside a ground box. There are some tests you can do to determine how effective they are in a ground box application. So after you have treated your whole system with Nano Liquid, I will share with you how to optimize the ground box, assuming you plan to build more.

I am also curious about the dedicated AC system line. The rest of the home wiring in your home picks up a lot of noise. I wonder how much the rest of the home wiring is effecting the dedicated line since it all terminates at the same junction area. This can be tested later.
Thank's

- Clear , treat every contact with furutech nano liquid . It is a lot of work since I have a quite complex system and I have of course a pc server.

- Mineral mix it the same as your recommended recipe . The sourcing of the product is different than yours . I think it is ok for magnesium powder(same as you ) , Rochelle salt and rock salt .
For black tourmaline , no tourmaline sand or powder so far only small rocks , for shungite 8 mm to 1 cm stones , for magnetite the one from inoxia .
Wheight of my box is 3-3.1 kg because density of magnetite powder I think is less than magnetite sand

-For AC treatment of my house , I have over 100 point to treat ... I think it should be however fairly easy to treat , see attached pictures . I will try with 1 g bags on hot wire side.
I do not think I need to treat the ground wire , since my audio system is not connected at all to the ground of the house and therefore does not get polluted by noise from the home ground system which is often quite noisy .

IMG_5623.jpgIMG_5627.jpgIMG_5628.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,295 of 1,771
Thank's

- Clear , treat every contact with furutech nano liquid . It is a lot of work since I have a quite complex system and I have of course a pc server.

- Mineral mix it the same as your recommended recipe . The sourcing of the product is different than yours . I think it is ok for magnesium powder(same as you ) , Rochelle salt and rock salt .
For black tourmaline , no tourmaline sand or powder so far only small rocks , for shungite 8 mm to 1 cm stones , for magnetite the one from inoxia .
Wheight of my box is 3-3.1 kg because density of magnetite powder I think is less than magnetite sand

-For AC treatment of my house , I have over 100 point to treat ... I think it should be however fairly easy to treat , see attached pictures . I will try with 1 g bags on hot wire side.
I do not think I need to treat the ground wire , since my audio system is not connected at all to the ground of the house and therefore does not get polluted by noise from the home ground system which is often quite noisy .

IMG_5623.jpgIMG_5627.jpgIMG_5628.jpg
Yes treating an entire system with Nano Liquid takes time, but worth it if one wants optimal sonic performance.

You can try on the inside of the plate like you depict. I do not know that will be optimum for your wiring, you just have to experiment like what EDhaenens did. What I do know is that even though you have a dedicated system AC line, it all connects to the main panel. I am pretty sure noise will bleed from rest of home wiring onto the dedicated line. To what degree and best way to address at the rest of the home wiring junctions you have to try and see.

Dec 13, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #1,296 of 1,771
Everybody seems busy preparing Christmas trees & gift , this very active thread is now quiet :)

I have done some more listening . My grounding box has settled and I have assessed again what it does bring to sound quality .
It does bring a quite bigger improvement than what I assessed initially . What it does bring is added clarity and more detailed and nuanced music with better soundstage .
A very interesting result , given these results I will built additional gb with the products I have .

Dec 13, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #1,297 of 1,771
Everybody seems busy preparing Christmas trees & gift , this very active thread is now quiet :)

I have done some more listening . My grounding box has settled and I have assessed again what it does bring to sound quality .
It does bring a quite bigger improvement than what I assessed initially . What it does bring is added clarity and more detailed and nuanced music with better soundstage .
A very interesting result , given these results I will built additional gb with the products I have .
Consider trying the GBC Enhancement wrap at box end and a Rochelle mini wrap at component end of ground box cable. Will increase performance of cable and ground box setup by about 50%. I am waiting for a particular mineral compound for experimentation, will take another week to get to me.

Also waiting for graphite foam to experiment with. For now learning to fix my Breguet watch I dropped and stopped working.

Dec 16, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #1,299 of 1,771
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

I found another "what seems" to be an amazing absorber of noise that can be used to improve sonic performance of an audio system. I say "what seems" because I have been testing and experimenting with this compound for over 4 hours in really small amounts (0.5 grams) on just the headphone cable as a wrap. So I am not sure how many uses there are as of yet. Will take quite some hours to fully experiment and test for applicable uses within an audio system. This compound is used in many high tech industries and military (US and Russian) and absorbs microwave frequencies. Supposedly up to 100% if applied a certain way, used to hide electronics from radar detection.

I will report later full findings. But for now just the small amount noted above on my headphone cable:

* More air - a lot more
* Adds a beauty to all instruments I cannot put my finger on, just does. Have been trying for hours to understand what I am hearing.
* Tiny bit more of ultra fine micro detail
* improved separation of all sounds
* Adds authority to sub bass frequencies
* Sort of more analog, but more of a live immediate presentation. So hard to explain, still trying to wrap my head around what I am hearing.

The better news is so far I have not found any down sides with the small amount I have tried. Also inexpensive since so little is used. The container in the pic is of 2 ounces or 56 grams, so way lighter than Rochelle salt. I will tell you all what it is and where I purchased the compound, once I can get a better understanding how and where it can be used.

Attachments

• New compound -1.jpg
    New compound -1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
  • New compound - 2.jpg
    New compound - 2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 16, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #1,301 of 1,771
My wild guess: niobium pentoxide?
Is something totally different. I could not help myself last night, had to try some with the AC home wire junction tweak. Still have to experiment a lot more and will the next two days while I am off work. On one junction (light switch) on the same circuit only, OMG next level harmonic layering, note texture and air. As resolving as my system already is, I was floored and fixated at everything I listened to the next 2 hours. This is with .5 grams on the hot and .15 grams on the ground side, just adding the wraps next to the Rochelle salt wraps. I kept saying out loud, wow, amazing, beautiful. Instruments and vocals sounded so pure. I am very excited with this find. Never would of thought filtering out 1ghz to 30 ghz frequencies would effect an audio system this way.

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #1,302 of 1,771
Can't wait to hear more - it's legal, right?

I just built a power cable with GB for the amp and it's next level. 3 more to go.

Meanwhile deploying the fragile graphite sheets (thanks for the shipping tape tip) at the breaker panel removed noise I didn't know was there and replaced it with information.

Attachments

• 20231216_201043.jpg
    20231216_201043.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #1,303 of 1,771

I just built a power cable with GB for the amp and it's next level. 3 more to go.

Meanwhile deploying the fragile graphite sheets (thanks for the shipping tape tip) at the breaker panel removed noise I didn't know was there and replaced it with information.
Glad the graphite foil sheets worked for you!

And yes, the suspense re CDA's latest discovery...

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #1,304 of 1,771

Yes, legal and will ship around the world. I really like this compound and never heard of it used for audio. I got the idea from scientific research for military use. Had a gut feeling may work but had no idea.

I need to experiment with this stuff, stronger than Rochelle salt but absorbs different/higher frequencies. Definitely effects audio systems. I have spent about 13 hours experimenting, listening and such. Will take some time still. Absorbing microwave frequencies effects the audio system differently than anything else I have experienced. I want to make sure the compound does not absorb, store the noise/microwave frequencies, than gets over saturated and stops working. Can be used side by side with Rochelle salt. 0.2 grams on a AC plate or by AC wiring, at the other end of the home on a different circuit can be heard on the system. Have to figure out saturation over time if any, tuning and applications.

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #1,305 of 1,771
I got the 3mm graphite foam from Aliexpress. Just placing the foam sheet or parts of it next to cabling and ground box(s) I got similar results as with the sheet. Boosts and slightly bloats bass and compresses presentation. Ideas from who has used these foam sheets with good effect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back