DIY Ground Box Thread
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #1,321 of 1,697
I've followed this thread with some interest, having used other piezo capable materials in the construction of speaker and ic cables. Used as filler, quartz sand added a mass damping element to my designs. It was only when I tried different materials in the same role I realised the quartz sand was doing more than just vibration damping, as the other materials I tried that had greater damping had less effect. As an aside, copper conductors treated in this way were able to provide a performance that was very close to 4n silver at a fraction of the price.
I recently purchased some Rochelles salt and placed two 1g baggies on each of the mains cables feeding tv and audio ....the effect, though not instantaneous, was interesting. All aspect were more "vivid", we are now listening at a 2 or 3db lower volume [ all other settings remaining the same]. My interest sufficiently piqued by the Rochelle salt , I've ordered some of the hBN, to get in on the game early doors !

I will keep everyone updated if I have any interesting results !

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #1,322 of 1,697
I've followed this thread with some interest, having used other piezo capable materials in the construction of speaker and ic cables. Used as filler, quartz sand added a mass damping element to my designs. It was only when I tried different materials in the same role I realised the quartz sand was doing more than just vibration damping, as the other materials I tried that had greater damping had less effect. As an aside, copper conductors treated in this way were able to provide a performance that was very close to 4n silver at a fraction of the price.
I recently purchased some Rochelles salt and placed two 1g baggies on each of the mains cables feeding tv and audio ....the effect, though not instantaneous, was interesting. All aspect were more "vivid", we are now listening at a 2 or 3db lower volume [ all other settings remaining the same]. My interest sufficiently piqued by the Rochelle salt , I've ordered some of the hBN, to get in on the game early doors !

I will keep everyone updated if I have any interesting results !
I am still testing the HBN. There are many interesting uses that affect an audio system with Rochelle salt. The best that I have been able to come up with is across the homes wiring absorbing EMI/EMF as in the DIY I posted here before. Easy and substantial system upgrade.

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #1,323 of 1,697
This is what and where I ordered the HBN, but it took 3 weeks to get it which I was not thrilled about. For US shipping is free. Have to place in cart to see shipping cost:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124111024079

Placing a 2nd ground box on your DAC and have it sound worse than without sounds wrong. Did you try a different input or output? Digital vs analog may also give you a different result.
That's the same HBN item/supplier I ordered.

2nd GB on DAC/pre: the incumbent GB is on a preamp output and is doing a great job. That was moved from the chassis ground screw and made a nice improvement in the process. The 2nd GB attempt was at a Line input, the immediate effect was to widen the sound stage but lose all the impact so I didn't give it much air time since that GB was destined for an ac cable where it's sounding great. When more GB parts arrive I'll give this location another shot since it wasn't all negative. I run Dirac Live room comp and when a system change is made, the room filter no longer fits and another needs to be made. A positive change/tweak usually gives improvements in many areas but the slam, bass and precision decreases - this is always fixed with a new room filter which I didn't do this time. More to come on this.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #1,324 of 1,697
Here is an update on the HBN. Definitely placing a black background to the HBN changes the effect or what is heard. I have a theory based on the scientific research I did before trying HBN. Based on the chart examples of directionality and absorption patterns but I cannot be sure. Since so little of the material is used for inside the DAC vs a condensed or compact at a junction for home wiring use, some of the absorbed noise does not get absorbed unless a black background is used. The black background according to the research I saw absorb and reflect remaining noise in such a way the HBN absorbs more of the noise. Hopefully that makes sense.

But at the junctions the material is more condensed so absorption is different. When black background is used at junctions sonically gets warmer and more analog like. This can be too much after multiple junctions are treated. After two of the junctions with the black background removed sounds more open in the top end. So tuning is required. At first HBN "can" sound a tad hot in the HF and within a day or so calms down. I have been using electrical tape for the black background so far. Have only treated 10 junctions with the HBN, mostly on the hot side with 0.35 grams. A lot more experimenting is required.

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #1,325 of 1,697
Hello,
Wouldn't the insides the sockets/light switches be dark enough?
Also, given the very very small amount needed, it could be interesting to see if its behaviour remains the same if incorporated into something rigid like resin, to make it more practical? Maybe like a kind of Shakti stone?

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #1,326 of 1,697
Hello,
Wouldn't the insides the sockets/light switches be dark enough?
Also, given the very very small amount needed, it could be interesting to see if its behaviour remains the same if incorporated into something rigid like resin, to make it more practical? Maybe like a kind of Shakti stone?
I have thought of and considered everything you mentioned.

Logically a closed covered DAC or inside the wall where an outlet and light switch reside it is dark and a black background should not matter. Well LOL it does. As I mentioned in a previous post, 10 junctions were treated with 0.35 grams of HBN each on the hot line side. 6 or 7 have black electrical tape under the HBN/taped to the plate. Got too warm after a day of settling in. Took the black electrical tape off of 2 junctions and the system opened back up. Can be easily heard after removing the tape off the first junction. Then more so after the second junction.

I have also thought of using the HBN as part of a mix for use like a Shakti Online or Stone. The closest I have gotten with that so far is inside the DAC by the main LCD display. Inside a black ABS enclosure I have Rochelle salt and HBN, with the cover removed.

I am sure there is a lot more utilization that can be accomplished with Rochelle salt and HBN. Just takes a lot of time and experimenting.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #1,327 of 1,697
Here is another update to give a different perspective of HBN with the use of black as a background. Listening to my system I feel it is still a tad too warm. What I did is go to a outlet I am fairly sure is on the same circuit as my system but in a different room. On this outlet plate has 0.35 gram HBN on Hot and 0.15 gram at ground. Under both has black tape. By removing the black electrical tape that is affixed to the plate under the HBN and Rochelle salt on the Hot side warmed the system back up about 1/4 "of a notch" toward neutral. Removing the black tape from under the HBN and ground also took the system another 1/4 "of a notch" toward neutral. When I say a notch, think of 10 notch scale that spans from warm to neutral. This is handy to know while tuning for tonal balance if using HBN with Rochelle salt at home AC wiring junctions.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #1,328 of 1,697
Thanks, I'm still catching up on the subject but I'm impressed by the effort and the willingness to share.
I wondered also why not apply the silver tape on the inside of the connector's barrel, to make it aesthetically more pleasing? It probably mean adjusting the "tuning"

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #1,329 of 1,697
Thanks, I'm still catching up on the subject but I'm impressed by the effort and the willingness to share.
I wondered also why not apply the silver tape on the inside of the connector's barrel, to make it aesthetically more pleasing? It probably mean adjusting the "tuning"
Are you referring to EMI or Oyaide silver tape around AC or IEC connectors?

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #1,330 of 1,697
Having had a look at the properties of hBN, its a pyroelectric material simply put converts emi to electricity then to heat. Placing a black tape etc by the hBN allows it to dissipate any heat created. Obviously tis is pure conjecture, but if we follow it through and make the assumption a set amount of hBN can only convert emi to electricity and then to heat. For me its logical to think that if the heat is removed, the hBN can restart the process, ie keeping it cooler allows it work harder. Happy to be proved wrong !

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #1,332 of 1,697
Faraday tape
You could install on the inside of the connector. If placing on the outside of the connector housing you like how it sounds. Two reasons why I personally would not do it. If I wanted to play with adjustments for tuning purposes, I will not be able to easily. Second reason is I treat the contacts with Furutech Nano Liquid. I do not like plugging and unplugging the connector, makes tuning more complicated. And personally I do not look at the connections so I do not notice the Oyaide EMI tape or the shielding tape you are referring to.

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #1,333 of 1,697
More HBN updates and plate install example. Happy Holidays!

* The HBN I have is a very fine powder like baby powder but lighter in weight. You will need a tiny scooper/spoon or make a tool like I made by cutting off the end of a plastic spoon. Slightly messy so to minimize any mess go slow when scooping.

* You can immediately hear what adding a small wrap of 0.30 - 0.35 grams to a junction does. Takes about 2 hours to start settling in and 24 hours or so to fully settle-in. Add to the hot side first. If you want to try ground go easy, like 0.15 - 0.20 grams. Starts off a tiny bit hotter in the way upper frequencies then settles-in and tonally balances out.

* See pic for an example of how I am adding the HBN to the Hot side.

Attachments

• small scooper for HBN.jpg
    small scooper for HBN.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Adding 0.35 grams of HBN to plate.jpg
    Adding 0.35 grams of HBN to plate.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 0
Dec 24, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #1,334 of 1,697
Forgot to mention, So far 15 of the 30-35 junctions I added the HBN. Only 4 have black background for the HBN. Only 3 of the 15 HBN installs I installed at the ground. What the HBN has done in summary is add a bit more depth, layering and nuance. More than anything it makes presentation more analog or tube-ish. If you over damp with the Rochelle salt the HBN should help balance that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back