DIY Ground Box Thread
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #571 of 1,869
I just ordered a 100mm x 250mm x 5mm thick carbon fiber plate to experiment with. To try different platform ideas for under the ground box. I tried with 1/4" pine yesterday. With a few different isolation and decoupling footers, but the performance was worse than just the .75" silicon 1/2 dome footers I use under all my DIY boxes. Will report if I find any revelations from this.
my feeling tells me that this kind of double (metal?) sheet thing (as seen on the picture) actually increases vibrations
i would atleast play some load bass heavy music and put my finger on the devices, if they feel dead and the table under it not you have done it right

imo some wood which dampens itself plus some rubber/sorbathon feet (plus some weight on top of the device) do the trick quite nice

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #572 of 1,869
I just ordered a 100mm x 250mm x 5mm thick carbon fiber plate to experiment with. To try different platform ideas for under the ground box. I tried with 1/4" pine yesterday. With a few different isolation and decoupling footers, but the performance was worse than just the .75" silicon 1/2 dome footers I use under all my DIY boxes. Will report if I find any revelations from this.

EDIT: Tried with 1/4" and 1/2" pine
What is the material of the surface on which the grounding box sits?

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #573 of 1,869
my feeling tells me that this kind of double (metal?) sheet thing (as seen on the picture) actually increases vibrations
i would atleast play some load bass heavy music and put my finger on the devices, if they feel dead and the table under it not you have done it right

imo some wood which dampens itself plus some rubber/sorbathon feet do the trick quite nice
My thinking was the same as yours. That is why I tried 1/4" and 1/2" wood for a platform with several different isolation and decoupling feet under the platform. All that I tried was audibly worse than just the 1/2 dome .75" diameter silicon feet by itself. I did try different rubber, silicon and sorbothane. Carbon fiber is very dense, so figure lets try that as a base. At 5mm thick will not flex or give, especially under a 4kg load.

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #574 of 1,869
What is the material of the surface on which the grounding box sits?
5 are on 3/8" think glass desk, one is on 3/4" Bamboo, 6 is on 1"+ MDF. They all already have the .75" silicon 1/2 dome footers under them. My system is a headphone system, no external vibration like from a subwoofer.

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #575 of 1,869
5 are on 3/8" think glass desk, one is on 3/4" Bamboo, 6 is on 1"+ MDF. They all already have the .75" silicon 1/2 dome footers under them. My system is a headphone system, no external vibration like from a subwoofer.
With fiber carbon, the anti vibration works differently. The energy is transferred, not absorbed.
TEMPERED glass (not ordinary glass) is a good surface for fiber carbon footers, because the energy is transferred very well to this material.
Another good material for that is steel (not iron!). So, I'm using 3 mm galvanized steel plates as surface for the footers.
Wood is a poor performer for the transfer of energy. My rack is of wood, so I'm using double layers.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #576 of 1,869
But maybe a single layer is sufficient for a grounding box, because there's less energy to transfer from it than from a power amp, for instance.
You need to try, and to listen.

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #577 of 1,869
And you should use three fiber carbon footers for a device. It's the principal of the milking chair.

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #578 of 1,869
And you should use three fiber carbon footers for a device. It's the principal of the milking chair.
Actually I am happy with the ground boxes with just the silicon footers. What I am wanting to experiment with is using the carbon fiber plate as a platform. To be more specific, box with the silicon footers as they are now, then on top of a platform that is likely further isolated to the surface it is on. Or maybe having the box sit directly onto the carbon fiber and then isolate from the surface it sits on. Just have to mess with it when I get it.

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #579 of 1,869
It's a good idea to experiment.
I misunderstood what you wanted to do. English is a very difficult language.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #580 of 1,869
Will likely sound awful for grounding box cable. What are you planning to do with this copper material?
Agree the lower purity copper of both items is a strike or two against them. However what has encouraged me to experiment with these as simple ground box cable substitutes in the first instance is my very positive experience with 5cm and 2.5cm wide copper foil tape I shared previously. It very audibly complemented the 14Awg X2 wires, being run in parallel to the ground box. The purity of that copper tape wouldn't have been that high either. Only reason I've since removed the copper foils from the OCK-2 is the messiness. I still have them on my LHY switch but they'll be coming off there too. A tube or sleeve appeals in this respect (neatness) and may have audible electrical advantages if one believes the theoretical ideal.

The other reason for trying it, is as stated, to explore the tube as ideal conductor concept. Admittedly this could be done to a higher standard with Mundorf foils or wires and I may also try this, but I'll start cheap.

Additional reasons - for the braided sheath at least - is that I have read in several places that braided cables are - for some reason - favoured for grounding. The exterior cross section of the Shunyata ground cable I referred has a quasi braided topography (photo below). Also, the 8m earth cable from my Puritan Ground Master to my dedicated ground rod is - by chance - a braided old copper speaker cable, the twin conductors equivalent to say 9-10AWG. And it sounds very good. Connecting the earth rod up brought a significant lift to my system. Though I concede I have not AB'd it to another non-braided 8m length...
vtx-ag-conductors.jpg

If both of these (the tubes and the braid) turn out to be inferior as ground box cables then nay bother - they're cheap. They could also be repurposed for cable shielding experimentation. Or potentially, for the largest gauge of braid (2cm wide - approx 6AWG per the 3M spec for their equivalent sized braid) as my earth cable from my Puritan Ground Master to my dedicated ground rod where for the long run the low impedance path likely becomes more paramount. It also gets a little pricey running higher purity cables in a high gauge, though I shan't rule out trying say a 5x 10m stack of Mundorf foils one day 😎.

I acknowledge the subtleties and fine balance of grounding cable design you've experienced. I am going off piste on a slightly different direction focussed on thin film conductors, in my own style, and I may make useful discoveries, or I may not. The process is what I find interesting and as stated I am encouraged by my experimentation with foils to date in this context.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #581 of 1,869
Agree the lower purity copper of both items is a strike or two against them. However what has encouraged me to experiment with these as simple ground box cable substitutes in the first instance is my very positive experience with 5cm and 2.5cm wide copper foil tape I shared previously. It very audibly complemented the 14Awg X2 wires, being run in parallel to the ground box. The purity of that copper tape wouldn't have been that high either. Only reason I've since removed the copper foils from the OCK-2 is the messiness. I still have them on my LHY switch but they'll be coming off there too. A tube or sleeve appeals in this respect (neatness) and may have audible electrical advantages if one believes the theoretical ideal.

The other reason for trying it, is as stated, to explore the tube as ideal conductor concept. Admittedly this could be done to a higher standard with Mundorf foils or wires and I may also try this, but I'll start cheap.

Additional reasons - for the braided sheath at least - is that I have read in several places that braided cables are - for some reason - favoured for grounding. The exterior cross section of the Shunyata ground cable I referred has a quasi braided topography (photo below). Also, the 8m earth cable from my Puritan Ground Master to my dedicated ground rod is - by chance - a braided old copper speaker cable, the twin conductors equivalent to say 9-10AWG. And it sounds very good. Connecting the earth rod up brought a significant lift to my system. Though I concede I have not AB'd it to another non-braided 8m length...
vtx-ag-conductors.jpg

If both of these (the tubes and the braid) turn out to be inferior as ground box cables then nay bother - they're cheap. They could also be repurposed for cable shielding experimentation. Or potentially, for the largest gauge of braid (2cm wide - approx 6AWG per the 3M spec for their equivalent sized braid) as my earth cable from my Puritan Ground Master to my dedicated ground rod where for the long run the low impedance path likely becomes more paramount. It also gets a little pricey running higher purity cables in a high gauge, though I shan't rule out trying say a 5x 10m stack of Mundorf foils one day 😎.

I acknowledge the subtleties and fine balance of grounding cable design you've experienced. I am going off piste on a slightly different direction focussed on thin film conductors, in my own style, and I may make useful discoveries, or I may not. The process is what I find interesting and as stated I am encouraged by my experimentation with foils to date in this context.
Experimenting is good. Let us know if you find out anything interesting.

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #583 of 1,869
Yes 2 AWG cables connected to binding post. L+R channel of rca IN.
I am sure you tried just one of the channels from the one box. What was the performance difference by adding the second channel from the same box?

Sep 21, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #584 of 1,869

vtx-ag-conductors.jpg

Hi @Jake2 ,
What model of LHY switch have you been using in your chain? I'm curious about the quality of LHY 6 and its internal clock.

Sep 21, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #585 of 1,869
I just found a way to improve/tweak the performance of the 11awg 6N twisted ground box cable. I am off tomorrow so I will experiment more and with installation.

I could never get a wrap to perform well like with the Magnetite AC power cable wraps in the middle of the AC power cable. Works on headphone cable also but not interconnect or ground box cable. More to come...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back