DIY Ground Box Thread
Sep 17, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #541 of 1,706
I started with 1 box, the 2nd box was meant for an ac cable. Out of curiosity I plugged it into the first box and left it there because it made such a big improvement.

I built a 3rd box intended for the ac cable. Out of curiosity I plugged it into the 2nd box and left it there.
Now I'm building a 4th box.

The speakers are on Isoacoustics Gaia devices. The subs are on the 2 layer system.

The 8 metre Audioquest Robin Hood speaker cables sound great but they're very microphonic so they sit on my own version of the Acoustic Revive risers https://www.kempelektroniksshop.nl/.../acoustic-revive-rci-3-h-cable-insulator.html
Each of those risers sits on 2 levels of vibration control. They also incorporate fo.Q 22k and other measures.

Sep 17, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #542 of 1,706
I started with 1 box, the 2nd box was meant for an ac cable. Out of curiosity I plugged it into the first box and left it there because it made such a big improvement.

I built a 3rd box intended for the ac cable. Out of curiosity I plugged it into the 2nd box and left it there.
Now I'm building a 4th box.

The speakers are on Isoacoustics Gaia devices. The subs are on the 2 layer system.

The 8 metre Audioquest Robin Hood speaker cables sound great but they're very microphonic so they sit on my own version of the Acoustic Revive risers https://www.kempelektroniksshop.nl/.../acoustic-revive-rci-3-h-cable-insulator.html
Each of those risers sits on 2 levels of vibration control. They also incorporate fo.Q 22k and other measures.
I had a phone conversation with a friend and audiophile today. You may want to try installing a ground box on each of the negative speaker binding posts on the amp. I have not tried this yet but I have read and heard works well. Here is a page from Entreq's manual:

1694980686197.png

Sep 17, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #543 of 1,706
I have this done at the speaker end and it works well. Haven't tried at the amp, are you suggesting as an addition or instead of? I'll have to try it either way at some point when I have sufficient # of boxes that aren't plugged into the xlr group.

Sep 17, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #544 of 1,706
I have this done at the speaker end and it works well. Haven't tried at the amp, are you suggesting as an addition or instead of? I'll have to try it either way at some point when I have sufficient # of boxes that aren't plugged into the xlr group.
I have not tried either. I was told by people that have tried it, works best like Entreq recommends at the amp (output stage) side.

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #547 of 1,706
Sep 17, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #548 of 1,706
Guys, I allready posted this but anyone with a Furutech or Furutech-inspired cable or power cable with a built in filter like the nanoflux or flux 50, try wrapping the magnetite bag around the filter in the middle, the gains are astonishing.
Your mod was one of the first things I tried last night. I have two Flux-50 knockoffs from AliExpress. One going into my OCK-2 external clock and the other feeding the main AC power conditioner, and have now wrapped a medium thin bag of magnetite around both power filters.

The jolt of improvement was incredible on my side as well. Yet another transformation of my system - sounds are more vivid, immediate and well textured. Highly recommended.

Sep 18, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #549 of 1,706
The platforms consist of 2 layers (and 2 different technologies) of vibration control.
I have a speaker based system with 2 subs on a wood floor so take vibration control very seriously.
I also take vibration control seriously, so it also consists of two layers. But they are of the same technology: carbon fiber.
For this project, I benefit of the guidance of @rodthebod . He is a professional with 35 years of experience in acoustic isolation, and is a member of our forum.
Soon, I'll complete this project for all my system. I'll post then a report to share my experience.

Isolation 2.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #550 of 1,706
I'm trying a new DAC that I received today. It's a Topping D70 Pro Octo.
This small DAC burns-in, but has a good and smooth sound out-of-the-box. But being used to my R26 that is well optimized, I was annoyed a bit by the sensation that the sound of this Topping lacks resolution.
At a given moment, I decided to connect the Topping to the grounding box that I'm using with the R26. The grounding box improved seriously the sound of the Topping, and I'm very happy with it now.

All this was done with an old Audioquest cable. So, it should be even better when I'll make the cables with the 6N wire.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #551 of 1,706
I'm trying a new DAC that I received today. It's a Topping D70 Pro Octo.
This small DAC burns-in, but has a good and smooth sound out-of-the-box. But being used to my R26 that is well optimized, I was annoyed a bit by the sensation that the sound of this Topping lacks resolution.
At a given moment, I decided to connect the Topping to the grounding box that I'm using with the R26. The grounding box improved seriously the sound of the Topping, and I'm very happy with it now.

All this was done with an old Audioquest cable. So, it should be even better when I'll make the cables with the 6N wire.
Will be interesting to read what you think of the differences between the two wires for this application. Be sure to use Nano Liquid if you have it.

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #552 of 1,706
I should try this with a Topping E50 I have kicking around somewhere. Grounding boxes have significantly improved the performance of every component I've connected them to, including my Panasonic OLED TV (via a spare USB port, TV natively running AV streaming apps, with Toslink out into iFi s/pdif iPurifier then R26), so highly likely to do the same with the E50.

This reminds me I need to try signal grounding a pair of KEF LSX active speakers I have on long term loan to my folks... potential for a trifecta of benefits from one box (OK, ideally two, one per speaker) - streamer, DAC and amplification.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #553 of 1,706
this video just released which contains some talk about grounding boxes, in the video the guy explains that the best way to connect a grounding box is actually measuring between the iec socket ground and finding a spot which has the lowest resistance to the power inlet socket (which might even be a chassi screw instead of for example rca ground)
has someone tried this?

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #554 of 1,706
this video just released which contains some talk about grounding boxes, in the video the guy explains that the best way to connect a grounding box is actually measuring between the iec socket ground and finding a spot which has the lowest resistance to the power inlet socket (which might even be a chassi screw instead of for example rca ground)
has someone tried this?

Thanks for sharing this - you beat me to it. I too perked my ears up at his suggestion to do that measurement - I haven't tried it - will have to try that on my return from holiday. They elaborate on it more here - per their guidance the grounding point must be less than 1 ohm resistance to be effective.

Really interesting seeing him touch on some of the same concepts in the design and use of their grounding ‘hubs’ that have proven to be important - and yield great rewards - in our use of grounding boxes. Expect @cdacosta came across this in his pre-reading. This paper expands on some concepts he talked to - https://shunyata.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2022/08/ALTAIRA-Grounding-Concepts-Guide.pdf

What I also read with great interest is that for their ground cables (VTX) they use virtual hollow core ‘tubes’ comprised of copper strands around the perimeter with an air core, and in the case of their top cable, a silver cable at the centre. Stated to reduce skin effect and eddy currents. And although they don’t mention it, should reduce proximity effect too. I’d previously read that a hollow core tube conductor was the theoretical ideal for low impedance transmission of HF current for these reasons. Have had this as a thought experiment for some time I might have to try in the real - to experiment again with copper foils as grounding conductors - and/or splayed apart 14ga AliX cable wires (removing the clear exterior insulator) - but this time wrapped around the exterior of a Teflon tube with say a 0.7-1cm diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back